Friday, August 26, 2011

Problems Have a Purpose




“Trust me in your times of trouble, and I will rescue you, and you will give me glory.”
            (Psalm 50:15 NLT)

            "God will use whatever he wants to display his glory. Heavens and stars. History and nations. People and problems. My dying dad in West Texas.

            The last three years of his life were scarred by ALS. The disease took him from a healthy mechanic to a bedbound paralytic. He lost his voice and his muscles, but he never lost his faith. Visitors noticed. Not so much in what he said but more in what he didn’t say. Never outwardly angry or bitter, Jack Lucado suffered stately.

            His faith led one man to seek a like faith. After the funeral this man sought me out and told me. Because of my dad’s example, he became a Jesus follower.

            Did God orchestrate my father’s illness for that very reason? Knowing the value he places on one soul, I wouldn’t be surprised. And imagining the splendor of heaven, I know my father’s not complaining.

            A season of suffering is a small assignment when compared to the reward.

            Rather than begrudge your problem, explore it. Ponder it. And most of all, use it. Use it to the glory of God. . . .
            Your pain has a purpose. Your problems, struggles, heartaches, and hassles cooperate toward one end—the glory of God.

—from "It’s Not About Me"

     Heavenly Father, when problems and pain come my way, help me to remember that nothing comes into my life without your approval. Rather than complain and cry about the challenges I face, help me consider them as opportunities to bring glory to you. Give me the strength and patience to bear my burdens in a way that will honor you. I will lift my eyes off the trials and keep them fixed firmly on you, amen.

From Lived Loved: Experiencing God’s Presence in Every Day Life

Copyright (Thomas Nelson, 2011) Max Lucado
Our God whom we serve is able to deliver us from the burning fiery furnace, and He will deliver us.”
          (Daniel 3:17)

“Many are the afflictions of the righteous, but the Lord delivers him out of them all.”
            (Psalm 34:19)



No comments:

Post a Comment