Saturday, July 13, 2019

My Story- Part 1

                                                        
   Jean Oathout: I am thankful for how the Lord has blessed me in my 82+ years!

   My earliest vision of Christ was in Sunday School. I believe I was about 5, when He stood beside me, holding my hand. 

   He didn't say anything, but I knew Who He was, and never doubted His existence from then on.

   We lived in Vienna, Virginia, where my dad died from kidney failure. An early memory I have of my Dad, was when I was about 3 or so, of his pulling me in a pointed wooden box which he'd made to clear snow from our paths.  

   As I was only about 6, when he died, I don't have other memories of him, except that I was told that he'd sung the Messiah in a choir, which encouraged me to believe he was a Christian.
  
   Mom tried so hard to stop smoking, but wasn't successful until she meant it with all her heart! She never smoked again. It gave my brother, Ralph and me a great lesson.


   When I was about 11, Mom married Everett Candage, a farmer from Rotterdam, Jct, NY, a friend from childhood. While there for some 7 years, I learned how to care for animals, including, milking cows by hand when the electricity went out. I picked strawberries to sell along the road, earning ten cents a box. 

   I began raising rabbits, and was given a horse by a step sister. I saw a cloud formation of Christ on the cross while resting on her back one day! I attended the Woestina High School in Rotterdam Jct.

    After graduating in '55,  I attended Keuka College, in Keuka, NY. By then I was engaged to Ed Hull, an Air Force man. After only one semester there, he told me he was to be stationed in Charleston, SC, and to please marry him, and come with him. It was no surprise that I didn't do so well on my tests the next day. Who could, when they were to be married in 2 weeks?

   Air Force life was an adventure, for sure. We lived in Charleston, SC; Puerto Rico; Austin, Texas; North Charleston, SC; and Hummelstown, PA. When I couldn't get a bird, one time, the Lord provided one for me for several days on top of our chimney in Hummelstown. I didn't have to feed or clean up after it! 

   The bird sang multiple songs each morning, while I sat in my chair for devotions. It must have been a mocking bird with many voices, as each day, it sounded different.


   
When I began attending a Pentecostal church, the twins were 8, and Bill 10, things began to be strained between Ed and me. Unfortunately, I didn't receive godly advice, so He eventually divorced me and moved out of state. 

   He provided financially for Bill and his twin brothers, until they were 18, for which I was grateful. Many lessons were learned over the years, as I began the life of a single mother.

   My attending a Pentecostal church lead me to seek for the gift of Speaking in tongues. I'd received the Holy Spirit when I gave my life to Jesus as a teen in a Presbyterian church youth meeting. 
But I found out that I had to release the tongues and give my all entirely to the Lord. 

   When I did, I spoke with tongues, and have everyday since then. That's the added power Christ spoke of when He told His disciples to go to Jerusalem and wait for the Holy Ghost baptism.

   In time, I married Dick Oathout, from Scotia, NY. Our marriage didn't go so well, so after 1 1/2 years, he left. I was pregnant with our son, John. He was delivered in the Harrisburg hospital, and life went on with 4 sons.
 
   
   I worked in our church's nursing home for about 6 years. Bill graduated and left for college, after working at a local deli for a time. Steve left for the Marines and Dave moved away and got married. 

   After a visit with Dick in NY, he soon called and said he was coming to take John and me back with him. We moved our stuff to Scotia, NY, and lived for 7 years with his mother.

   While living with her, I learned some valuable lessons, one of which was to respect her, and to do what she asked. One day, she was taken to the hospital because of a health problem, so I decided I'd wash some clothes while she was gone.

    
After the clothes were on the line, they brought her back home. The clothes posed a problem for me, as she'd asked that I not do any laundry, for the well was quite low. I ended up kneeling at her feet, repenting, and asking for forgiveness. God dealt with me on that issue!

   My Mom's friend, "Auntie Gail," was visiting Mom one day in Delanson, NY. We were sitting on the carpet in front of the potbelly stove, when Auntie Gail complained of her shoulder hurting. I crawled over to her side and simply placed my hand on her shoulder, and said, "Jesus." She exclaimed that the pain left!

   While we lived in Scotia, I eventually had accrued many rabbits to take care of while Dick was away each day with his carpet-installation work. Just before leaving later for Vermont in '83, I counted nearly 400 rabbits and several goats! 


   We began to sell, butcher and can some of them, when we knew we would be moving, leaving some to take with us. Our son John's favorite Rex rabbit of course went along, which lived several years,to John's delight, fathering many babies.

    When we moved to Vermont, we stayed at a couple of places till we found property to buy. A 9' x 50' trailer was brought in and set up. As we lived beyond electricity, Dick had a well dug, and a pipe laid underground to the kitchen, where a push-pull pump was installed.

   Next, a pole barn was erected, where we could keep our rabbits and goats we'd brought with us. Chickens and two milking cows were added in time, as well as a pig and a young bull. We had quite a garden too, and were thankful for all the produce we had.

   Dick and I worked in housekeeping at Jay Peak Sky Resort for 5 winters after he'd quit laying carpet.
 I ended up in the laundry room one evening, when a 2 ft snow storm kept me from being sent out to help clean condos with the kids. I stayed in that position and helped Dick clean in the hotel after the laundry was done.

   While living in Vermont, there was a time when I walked into the nearby woods to pray. I cried and complained to the Lord about how things were going. After I was through, He said, "Now, go back and fix your husband supper." I did, and life continued.


   In time, I left Dick and went  to live with my son, Bill, in Ravena, NY, which I'll tell about in My Story- Part 2Dick and I were separated for many years, until he died a few years ago from an ailment the doctors couldn't seem to help him with. 

      Living in Madrid, NY now, I've blogged for 8 full years, as of August 2019. I've enjoyed creating the various posts each week from books on prayer, other writer's posts, as well as posts I believed the Lord inspired me to write. I've prayed that they'd give information, encouragement and inspiration to my readers.

   After the 30th of July, I'll only be posting a Faith Message on Saturdays over the Summer. I have permission to use the first chapter of Billy Graham's book,  THE SECRET OF HAPPINESS, so look forward to begin sharing the posts on 
Tuesdays and Thursday's posting in August or September. I expect to continue sharing posts on prayer after those 8 posts.

   
It's been an exciting life for sure. I anticipate more years of serving our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ with the Faith Messages; orchestrating snacks for the Home-Schooling teachers at the Madrid CFC's Christian Fellowship Academy each Fall and Spring; and serving in the ministry of intercessory prayer.

To God be the glory! 



Let's pray-

   Father, when we examine our past and present, help us consider our future to be firmly in Your Hands, to guide all that we do, that we may honor You.
   May my life be a testimony of Your constant grace applied to me over the years You've given me. Use the Faith Messages to help my many readers find the encouragement they need from the ones they choose to read.
   I give You my all, counting on Your Spirit to move on the hearts of my readers, to be drawn closer to You because of my living my life of faith in Jesus. 
   I pray this in His name. Amen

My special personal Bible verses-

        
 Isa. 41:10 (KJV) "Fear not; for I am with thee:
       be not dismayed; for I am thy God: I will strengthen 
       thee; yea, I will help thee; yea, I will uphold thee 
       with the right hand of my righteousness."

         
Ps. 86:11, 12 (KJV) "Teach me thy way, O LORD;
       I will walk in thy truth: unite my heart to fear thy
       name. I will praise thee, O Lord my God, with all 
       my heart; and I will glorify thy name for evermore."
  
Words of wisdom-

~ Do what's in your heart to the glory of Christ, and think of the significance of your role as He breathes on your labor.

~ We're to dream big and to obey God's calling, and to find out what might be possible in our lifetime.

Today's popular post, and a guest post-

Jean Oathout - "When a person has hope, there is a substance of thought that's real to him.
It is as true as being held in his hands."

Debbie McEwen's Post:







41 - 45 of 100 one-line Scriptures for those of you who want to learn some more this week-  I'm working on #132 Today!

41. Col. 3:23 "And whatsoever ye do, do it heartily, as unto the Lord, and not unto men."
42. John 8:32 "And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free."
43. 2 Cor. 5:17 "Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away, behold, all things are become new."
44. Prov. 16:20 "He that handleth a matter wisely shall find good: and whoso trusteth in the LORD, happy is he."
45. Ps. 56:3 "What time I am afraid, I will trust in thee."

Jean's blog (Click to see snippets of the 7 recent posts)


Upcoming posts-

    
         My Story- Part 2
July 27th- Saturday's post by Jean Oathout

        
#55 The Greater Includes the Less
30th- Thursday's post by Samuel Chadwick (the last post)

(This will be the last Tuesday and Thursday posts for the Summer.)

          
Clear Communication
8/3rd- Saturday's post by Bill Crowder

          
The Message of the Bible
8/10th- Saturday's post by Billy Graham

The rose, one of the most
beautiful flowers in the world





     





3 comments:

  1. Truly enjoyed your sharing of your story. It gives a warm personal touch that draws the reader closer to the faith that inspires your life. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like your personal story about how faith has been a part of your life for so long. It helps us relate, when faith is intertwined in the everyday life of someone we know. Makes it real.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for sharing your story, GrJean :)

    ReplyDelete