Saturday, July 27, 2019

My Story- Part 2


Jean Oathout-  Continuing My Story: Our son John, moved away after high school in Vermont.

   Dick, John and I had spent some 17 years homesteading in Vermont, and have many good memories, but I found that I couldn't handle things well anymore, one day.

   I packed some things and left in my mother's car she'd given me several years before her death. Dick was away to deliver something to a friend at the time, so I said goodbye to neighbors, and left for Ravena, New York, where my oldest son Bill lived. 

   I didn't know what the future held for me at the time, so I called Bill, and let him know I was leaving Vermont, and was coming to Ravena.

   I had two other sons in town too, but decided to stay with Bill and his family, as his children Ana and Ben, were still quite young when I arrived. I felt they would need me there with them, as Bill was pastor of a local church and 
Nancy would often be at an orchestra practice or presentations in Albany, NY.

   One experience I had that showed God's mercy while living with Bill and family, was when there was a fire that nearly destroyed everything; including Ana and Me. I'd been upstairs, when she ran up the stairs yelling that there was fire everywhere! I looked out the window and saw fire all along the bank right next to the house!


    
We ran downstairs, while I phoned 911. There was fire all over the bank beside the house and along the banks of the creek below. I moved my car that was parked near the wood stack, as the fire was advancing. There were already some melted plastic parts on it! And just inside the garage door, some 15 feet or so away, was a barrel of fuel, for the 2000 scare!

   The fire engines and men were there almost immediately, as they were at the station for a meeting. We had firemen everywhere with their hoses, spraying water on the fire! I called Bill, and as he was out of town, he called his brother, Steve who lived nearby to come and oversee things for him till he could get there.


   Nancy was to have a special gathering with her orchestra friends that night, so when they were allowed to pass the road
block and trucks, they came across the lawn and up to the front door! Such excitement! When Nan was hindered from coming to the house, she said, "But it's MY house!" so they let her by! Thankfully, the fire was extinguished in time, and all was well!

    Bill i
nvited me to come along with them when they sold their house, and were planning to move to Knapp Station, NY. But as Dick and I had begun to talk, I believed I should get an apartment locally in Ravena, instead of moving with them.

   At a later time, after living in my apartment in Ravena for about 3 1/2 years, I received an inheritance from an uncle. I asked Bill if the house he had just built in Norwood, NY was for sale, and after receiving the answer, "Yes," I asked if I might buy it. So I did!

   I lived in that beautiful house in Norwood for two years. W
hen Bill decided to purchase a stone house in Madrid that Summer, I was given the option to sell my house and move into their ground floor apartment. 

   As I believed it would be the best thing to do, he put my house on the market that same day, a Tuesday, and by Friday, I had a buyer! It was a sign to me that I'd made the right choice.
    
   I was sad to leave my friends in the Norwood church, but I knew it was the best thing for me to do. I would soon learn that the Lord wanted me here in Madrid, to make new friends and be ministered to.

   A few years ago, after several possible near-death experiences while 
driving, Bill and I decided that it would be better for me, and everyone else, if others would drive me places. So I gave up driving and sold my car to my granddaughter. 

   I've gotten to know several family members and friends better while riding with them. I knew that it would not be right to expect God to keep protecting me if I just kept on driving. I knew it was His mercy that had kept me alive in those instances. 

   I have been blogging for 8 full years this August 2019, and have enjoyed creating several posts each week. Many were from books on prayer, or from other writers, as well as messages I believed the Lord inspired me to write. I've prayed they'd give information, encouragement and inspiration to my readers.

 
  After the 30th of July, I'll only be posting a Faith Message on Saturdays over the Summer. I have permission to use the first chapter of Billy Graham's book,  THE SECRET OF HAPPINESS, so look forward to begin sharing the 8 posts on Tuesdays and Thursday's postings, beginning in August or September. I expect to continue sharing posts on prayer after those  posts.

  My published book, (Granny's Guide for Marriage in Verse) is available for purchasing. I trust you'll check it out, and read some more of my story in verse. There are lessons I'd learned and wanted to share.

   Link for information on the book, and 3 links to sample devotionals. 

    
It's been an exciting 82 years, and I anticipate more years of serving my Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ with the Faith Messages; orchestrating snacks for the Home-Schooling teachers at the Madrid CFC's Christian Fellowship Academy each Fall and Spring; and serving in the ministry of intercessory prayer. 

(Check out My Story- Part 1, the previous posting, which has had some changes)

To God be the glory!



Let's pray-

   Father, when I think about my experiences through the years, I have to admit that I was protected by Your grace. You were with me, for which I am thankful.
   The time of the fire showed Your careful protection and provision, as the firemen were only a mile or so away, and had gathered for a meeting. They were able to extinguish the fire within minutes by bringing the trucks loaded with water and several men trained to put the fire out.
   Living in the apartment in Ravena was enjoyable, as I met some friends who lived there. One in particular was Teri, who became a friend who laughed a lot with me. We're still phone friends.
   Before moving to the new house in Norwood, NY, I enjoyed buying all the new furniture I would need for it. Everything was put in place for me there, and I felt at home next to the Racket river.
   My having near-death experiences revealed to me that Your mercy was still active in my life, as the possible outcome of the incidences could have been devastating. 
   I'm grateful to You for giving me Bill. He and Nancy live upstairs in their house in Madrid, while I live in the ground floor apartment downstairs. He advised me what I should do after admitting I'd made bad choices in my driving; let others drive me! He has given me good advice over the years on several occasions.
   All in all, I've had a good life, and trust that I'll live many years  honoring You, Lord, keeping busy with my blog and praying daily for many others; as they need Your help too.
   I pray in Jesus' name. Amen

Today's Bible verse-

            John. 14:23 (NKJV) "Jesus answered and said to him,
       'If anyone loves me, he will keep My word; and My
       Father will love him, and We will come to him and
       make Our home with him
.' "

     Jean Oathout- Someone said that 
they never take the Armor off! I don't
either, as I thank the Lord for each piece each morning! (Google image, The Armor of God)


Today's quote-

~ Darren Canning- "As we seek Him, then we shall find Him, but we must seek Him with our entire hearts.
This is really the key to warfare.  It is intimacy with the Father. It is asking him for his perspective on all your circumstances.  As you seek him you will overcome, because there is nothing that he hasn’t overcome. This world doesn’t hold our God down.  There is nothing a person can face that God can’t make right. He is the healer, deliverer, provider, nurturer, overcomer, and warrior.  He will war on your behalf. You don’t have to fight for yourself. You just have to believe and stand."
(From Thoughts On Spiritual Warfare, information@darrencanning.com)

Words of wisdom:

~ Everyday, wake up and remind yourself of God's provision for you through Christ.

~ God's not your servant. You are His. You have a mission to do for the King of kings. Today's the day to strap on the whole armor of God. It's not a time to be casual.


46 - 50 of 100 one-line Scriptures for those of you who want to learn one-a-day this week-   (I'm working on #146 today!) 

46. Heb. 4:16 "Let us therefore come boldly unto the throne of grace, that we may obtain mercy, and find grace to help in time of need."
47.Prov. 23:12 "Apply thine heart unto instruction, and thine ears to the words of knowledge." 
48. Prov. 15:1 "A soft answer turneth away wrath: but grievous words stir up anger."
49. Rom.8:6 "For to be carnally minded is death; but to be spiritually minded is life and peace.
50. Prov. 21:23 "Whoso keepeth his mouth and his tongue keepeth his soul from troubles."  


Upcoming posts-

     #55 The Greater Includes the Less (Last post)
30th- Tuesday's post by Samuel Chadwick

          Clear Communication
10/ 3rd- Saturday's post by Bill Crowder

          The Message of the Bible
8/10th- Saturday's post by Billy Graham

          Power  in Promises
17th- Saturday's post by Lee Forbes



No comments:

Post a Comment