Saturday, August 18, 2018

Practicing the Presence



   Max Lucado- How do I live in God’s presence? How do I detect His unseen hand on my shoulder and His inaudible voice in my ear? A sheep grows familiar with the voice of the shepherd. How can you and I grow familiar with the voice of God? 
(Google image, Prayer for beginners).

 Here are a few ideas: 

   Give God your waking thoughts. Before you face the day, face the Father. Before you step out of bed, step into his presence. I have a friend who makes it a habit to roll out of his bed onto his knees and begin his day in prayer. Personally, I don’t get that far. 

   With my head still on the pillow and my eyes still closed, I offer God the first seconds of my day. The prayer is not lengthy and far from formal. Depending on how much sleep I got, it may not even be intelligible. Often it’s nothing more than “Thank you for a night’s rest. I belong to you today.”

   Give God your waiting thoughts. Spend time with Him in silence. The mature married couple has learned the treasure of shared silence; they don’t need to fill the air with constant chatter. Just being together is sufficient. Try being silent with God. “Be still, and know that I am God” (Ps. 46:10 NIV). Awareness of God is a fruit of stillness before God.

   Give God your whispering thoughts. Through the centuries Christians have learned the value of brief sentence prayers, prayers that can be whispered anywhere, in any setting.

   Imagine considering every moment as a potential time of communion with God. By giving God your whispering thoughts, the common becomes uncommon. Simple phrases such as “Thank you, Father,” “Be sovereign in this hour, O Lord,” “You are my resting place, Jesus” can turn a commute into a pilgrimage. 

   You needn’t leave your office or kneel in your kitchen. Just pray where you are. Let the kitchen become a cathedral or the classroom a chapel. Give God your whispering thoughts.

   And last, give God your waning thoughts. At the end of the day, let your mind settle on Him. Conclude the day as you began it: talking to God. Thank Him for the good parts. Question Him about the hard parts. Seek His mercy. Seek His strength. 


   And as you close your eyes, take assurance in the promise: “He who watches over Israel will neither slumber nor sleep” (Ps. 121:4 NIV). If you fall asleep as you pray, don’t worry. What better place to doze off than in the arms of your Father.

From Just Like Jesus


Practicing the Presence      
by Max Lucado
(Used with permission)



Copyright (W Publishing Group, 1998, 2001) Max Lucado
Listen to UpWords with Max Lucado at OnePlace.com and find resources at MaxLucado.com
GET MORE BIBLICAL ADVICE FROM MAX ABOUT...


Prayer for others
Let's pray-

   Father, as sheep grow familiar with the voice of their shepherds, help me grow familiar with Christ, my shepherd's voice.

   In my waking thoughts, as I contemplate the day's activities, help me listen to the His guidance.

   While I'm in the process of waiting in a line, waiting for answers to specific prayers, or waiting in obedience for the right time to do something, may I sense Your presence.

   As I take advantage of every moment as a potential time of communion with You, may I give my whispering thoughts as offerings. May my short whispered thoughts be common throughout the day. 

   Phrases such as "Thank you, Father," "Be sovereign in this hour, O Lord," "You are my resting place, Jesus" can turn my commute into a pilgrimage.

   Thank You for knowing my thoughts a far off, as then I can depend on You to guide me to guard my thought patterns.

   I ask for help in my thinking, as then I'll be practicing Your presence. In Jesus' name. Amen.

 
Today's Bible verses-

       Jer. 29:11 (N I V) "For I know the plans I have for 
       you," declares the LORD"plans to prosper you and
       not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future."

       Ezek. 3:10 (KJV) "Moreover, he said unto me, Son of 
       man, all my words that I shall speak unto thee receive
       in thine heart, and hear with thine ears."

       Jer. 24:7 (KJV) "And I will give them an heart to know
       me, that I am the LORD: and I will be their God: for
       they shall return unto me with their whole heart."


Today's quote-


~ Marshal Segal- "God means for your life — married or unmarried, student or employee, young or old — to run on the power of prayer. Prayer fuels the engine of your heart and mind. It’s not coffee, or Chipotle, or social media buzz; it’s prayer. You need God in and through prayer more than you need anything else. We will not do anything of any real and lasting value without God, which means we will not do anything of any real and lasting value without prayer." 

(Quoted from link given with picture of open hands above. Good article).



Today's guest post-  Father, Please Help Me 

Debbie McEwen

 "God makes all things beautiful in their time. He provides for all of His creation.
He directs them at the right time to blossom.
Since He made us "just a little lower than the angels," think of all the love He has for us and how He wants to help us.
          We only have to ask."



Today's question-

     Do you know what keeps us from accepting God's free gift of grace?

   Pride! Most religions teach that our efforts are to do something needed to win the favor of their gods. In Christianity, God offers His grace. It is a free gift given to those who believe His Son paid the price owed by sinful humanity for the forgiveness of sins.

   The truth is, He loves us, and desires to give us the grace needed to face every 
challenge we're given. It's the only "religion" that we can receive something free from! 

   We were separated from the Holy God by our sins. We needed a Savior to reconnect us to Him. Through the sacrifice of Jesus on the Cross some 2,000 years ago, we now have the ransom paid.

   Without the Atonement of Christ for our sins, we would be lost and on our way to permanent separation from the God of love. Let's be thankful for God's grace, for He wants to give it to those who ask. Sinners can call on for Him for help, as He is a God of mercy. Christians most assuredly have the freedom to receive grace!
  

List of recent sermons of CFC ministersCFC Potsdam church has a live service at 10 am Sunday's for shut-ins. If for some reason you can't make it to the church you usually attend, click on the above link, and still get fed!


Upcoming posts-

     #81 You Can Be an Anointed Leader
21st- Tuesday's post by Dr. Wesley L. Duewel

     #82 The Anointing is for You
23rd- Thursday's post by Dr. Wesley L. Duewel

          Power of Prayer
25th- Saturday's post by Lee Forbes

     #83 The Anointing is Knowable
28th- Tuesday's post by Dr. Wesley L. Duewel


Orange sunset
South east Asia













Jean's published book Paper back $7.95
(Be sure to "look inside" to see contents
through the 2nd devotion).

3 comments:

  1. Thank you for reminding me of the necessity of practicing God's presence throughout the day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Max Lucado's writing. I appreciate the reminder to pray at all times. Nothing is more important. Thank you also, for adding my post to your blog.

    ReplyDelete