Tuesday, May 12, 2020

#23 You Can Touch God's Throne



   Dr. Wesley L. Duewel- Prayer has a long arm. It can reach all the way to heaven. The Bible teaches this truth through beautiful symbolism—the raising of the hands in prayer. "Let us lift up our hearts and our hands to God in heaven" (Lam. 3:41).

   Our first Old Testament example is found in an account of a strategic battle 
with the Amalekites, when Moses instructed Joshua to lead God's people while he lifted his hands in supplication. (Google image, Two women praying)

   Aaron and Hur held his hands up—one on one side, one on the other—so that his hands remained steady till sunset. So Joshua overcame the Amalekite army with the sword. Then the Lord said to Moses, "'Write this on a scroll as something to be remembered' " (Exod. 17:11-14).

   What is the explanation of this great victory, and why should it be remembered? Moses answers in verse 16: "Hands were lifted up to the throne of the Lord."

   Visibly our hands are lifted up; spiritually they touch the throne of God. You can pray prayers that go no higher than your head, that never go beyond the room you are in. But when you pray in the Spirit, in the will of God, and in Jesus' name, your prayer can reach all the way to heaven!

   Moses wrote the truth. His hands touched God's throne. Yours can, too, if you follow God's principles of prayer.

   Paul exhorts us in 1 Timothy 2:8: "I want men everywhere to lift up holy hands in prayer." Does this mean that we must literally hold up our hands whenever we pray? Certainly not.

   God is more concerned that we lift up our hearts and our souls to Him. "To you, O Lord, I lift up my soul" (Ps. 25:1; 86:4; 143:8). Whenever we raise our hands literally or not it is of the very spirit and essence of prayer that we lift up our spiritual eyes and heart to God.

   And during times of earnest intercession or intense spiritual warfare, we may, in the privacy of our prayer place or even in public (almost without realizing it), lift our physical hands toward God. "Hear my cry for mercy as I call to you for help, as I lift up my hands toward your Most Holy place" (Ps. 28:2).

You Can Touch Another through prayer

   Not only can your prayer reach heaven, but the arm of prayer can also span the miles to any part of the world, and you in your place of intercession can touch someone who needs you, even thousands of miles away. This is not make-believe. This is spiritual reality.

   I shall never forget the two-week period in India many years ago when I felt a continuing prayer burden for our son. It came to a climax one Sunday afternoon when I was alone in our house, so lost in prayer for him that for awhile I did not notice the passing of time or the existence of space.

   As I prayed on and on it suddenly seemed that I was kneeling beside John with my hand on his shoulder praying for him. I know not how long I prayed, or what I said, but I know my arm of prayer had spanned the land and oceans for thousands of miles and my hand was on John's shoulder.

   It was as real as if I were by his side. Then assurance came, and I rose from my knees and later gave my Sunday evening message.

   Because of missionary responsibilities I did not find opportunity to write John till after lunch the following afternoon. I went to my office and was sitting at my typewriter. "Dear John," I wrote, "I don't know what this means to you, but I am sure it means something. For days I have been having a special prayer in concern for you, and yesterday afternoon as I was kneeling in our bedroom, it suddenly seemed I was kneeling by your side, with my hand on your shoulder."

   I was just ready to write the second paragraph when our doorbell rang. I went to the door and found a messenger from the telegraph office. He handed me a cablegram. 

   I stepped inside, closed the door, and opened the cable. It read: "God is my Captain. Quiet but sure decision. Thanks for heritage, love and prayer. John." I dropped on my knees as the tears coursed down my cheeks.

   God had permitted me to touch heaven's throne with one hand and our son's shoulder with the other. After the necessary days had elapsed John's letter had arrive. At the exact time when I was in prayer in Allahabad, India, John in the USA, kneeling alone in the darkness, had given his heart to the Lord.

(Chapter 8, pp. 59-61, italics added for emphasis)



Used by permission 
of the Duewel Literature Trust, Inc,
Greenwood, Indiana
Available by phone
317-881-6755, ext, 361

Let's pray-

   "Father God as a member of Your royal race, I have been made a king and a priest unto You. I am Your workmanship, created in Christ Jesus to do the works You have prepared for me to accomplish. Because I was born for such a time as this, I will make a difference in this generation and influence future generations. You bestowed upon me Your creativity and ingenuity, and they are expanded through the power of the Holy Spirit, which You sent to be my Helper and my Strength. Amen."  Germine Copland

Scripture Reading
Revelation 1:6
Ephesians 2:10
Esther 4:14
2 Peter 1:3-4



Today's Bible verses-

     Ps. 96:1-4 (AMP) "O Sing to the Lord a new song; sing to the 
Lord, all the earth! (v. 2) sing to the Lord, bless (affectionately 
praise) His name; show forth His salvation from day to day. (v. 3) Declare His glory among the nations, His marvelous works among all the peoples. (v. 4) For great is the Lord and greatly to be praised; He is to be reverently feared and worshiped above all [so-called] gods." [Deut. 6:5; Rev. 14:7.]


Today's quote-

~ Germine Copland- "Before He ascended into heaven Jesus said: But you shall receive power (ability, efficiency, and might) when the Holy Spirit has come upon you, and you shall be My witnesses in Jerusalem and all Judea and Samaria and to the ends (the very bounds) of the earth (Acts 1:8). 
   The Holy Spirit is your divine helper, counselor, advocate, intercessor, strengthener, and standby. He will take the things of Jesus and reveal them unto you for He is the spirit of Truth sent to lead you into all truth. Acknowledge the Holy Spirit in everything you do; He will help you pray when you don’t know how, and He will show you things to come."

Words of wisdom-


~ Without opportunities to deepen our faith in the Lord, our faith would remain shallow. We may wonder what our future holds, but knowing the Lord has a good plan for us, we can be confident He knows the path we'll take, and promises to walk along it with us.


Today's guest post-



Entrusted   

Cindy Sproles- 

"The job of a mother never ends.
Until our children grow up and have their own children, they never fully grasp that concept. Mothers have a unique bond with their offspring. Nature makes it clear the nurturing instinct never really leaves.
   I watched a nature show recently about a mother bear and her three cubs. It was amazing to see her caring instincts when her babies strayed too far or ventured into potentially harmful situations. The mother bear exhibited heightened senses even when she slept. If one cub shifted, her eyes opened, and she scooped them closer to her body—before snuggling back into a semi-rest.       As the cubs grew more independent, this momma slowly loosened her grip until she finally allowed them to go their own way. As they did, she stood watch until they were gone. When she could no longer see her cubs, she reared and wailed toward the sky. She wept.
   This emotional moment took me back to when I said a final farewell to my youngest son. He’d packed his car, took a last look, and then kissed me goodbye. As his car disappeared, a wail of loss rang through me. Although he wasn’t leaving me to marry, he was grown. The thought of his dependence on me ending sobered me. I could suddenly relate to that momma bear. Proud of this graduation, yet mourning the end of a season.
   I’ve entrusted a second son into the hands of a beautiful woman who loves him deeply. I must admit, the moment of giving up that care was no different. A mother’s job is never done. We are instructed to let our sons and daughters mature, leave home, and even marry. To allow the growth of a new relationship and a new family to happen. It’s a new season. I have done my job as a mother. But that doesn’t mean my relationship ends with my child. It simply soars to a new level.
   Mother’s Day allows a mom time to reflect on when she once nestled her babies in that special place. It’s the crowning moment when we can step back and bask in the pride of the men and women they’ve become. They will always be our babies, so we continue to pray for them and offer guidance and direction when needed.
   As a mother, you’ve successfully completed the task entrusted to you. Never stop praying, never stop loving, and never stop being grateful for the moments you share with them. God has blessed you with children—the jewel in your crown." [I couldn't find the link, so I give you Cindy's message here]


         The pastors and elders of the CFC churches in northern           NY, will provide a daily devotional:"Streams in the Desert" 
and provide a short Scripture reading and a brief message from one of the pastors or elders every day for the coming season
                  Past special song presentations are listed.

The home pages of the CFC websitehttps://www.cfconline.org/
[Replay past services, and read past devotionals you missed. 
Sign up for them to come to you daily]
The livestream link: https://www.cfconline.org/live 
[For CFC Sunday services]


Upcoming posts

#24 You Can Be Touched by Someone's Prayer
14th- Thursday's post by Dr. Wesley L. Duewel
The Word the Sword
16th- Saturday's post by Charles H. Spurgeon
#25 Prayer Can Give You Entree Anywhere
19th- Tuesday's post by Dr. Wesley L. Duewel
#26 Who Failed to Pray?
21st- Thursday's post by Dr Wesley L. Duewel
Beautiful flowers




No comments:

Post a Comment