Saturday, August 4, 2018

Made Up Minds



   Merlin Carothers- Have you ever awakened with the thought, "This going to be a difficult day?" If that happens to you again, could you change your mind?

   I awakened one morning and was reminded of several pains in my body. I thought, "This going to be a bad day." Then the words of a song came to me, "Whatever will be will be." What a sad thought. (Google image,Woman holding her head).
   
   But then I remembered that Jesus has a different message: According to your faith will it be done to you (Matt. 9:29). I quickly changed my mind and said the words to another song, "God is working for my good."

   I kept saying these words in my mind and could feel myself changing. My faith was telling me that it was going to be a wonderful, happy day. Was this the power of positive thinking? Oh no, it was the power of The One I was thinking about.

   We all know people who have made up their minds that unless they get what they want, they will be unhappy. They aren't interested in learning to overcome their problem. 

   They can give a negative answer for any positive thought that we suggest. They may go to their graves without discovering the power God gives us to change our minds.

   Some folks have decided that they do not have enough evidence to believe that Jesus gives them eternal life. They cling to eternal death as if that is their only alternative. But you can tell them that they are free to change their minds. If they ask, "How do you know that?" you can say, "Because I did it!"

   If you have never changed your mind about your own eternal life, you can do it! God gives you that freedom. Don't say, "I can't believe anything unless it is proven to me." That isn't true. 

   You step into an elevator that you have never seen and have no proof that it works. Yet you assume that it must work because it is there. So, instead of trudging up hundreds of stairs you get in and up you go.

   Around us are many people who say, "I believe in Jesus as my Savior and as a result my life is now changed! He has given me joy and peace that I never had." If we ask them to prove it they might answer, "Talk to the people who knew me before!"

   Christian bookstores have many testimonies of people who believed in Jesus as Savior and went on to experience changed lives. Books also tell of people who faced death with a smile and said, "I know I am going to Heaven."

   These people lived and died believing that Jesus is real. But the people who stedfastly prefer to believe only in themselves, what they have or what they can see will never experience the joy and peace that God can give us.

   The Bible declares that, the heavens are telling the glory of God (Psalm 19:1). There is much to see if our eyes are open. Millions of people have changed their mind and decided to believe that everything in the universe points to the Creator who was revealed by Jesus. They say, "Now I see!"

   Jesus demonstrated what could be done by those who "believed." We have many opportunities to learn. Hebrews 11:1 tells us that: faith is the . . . evidence of things not seen. Once we step through that doorway of faith we begin to learn many things about changing our minds! The more we believe, the greater our joy becomes." 

(Reprint in Foundation of PRAISE News, p. 1, July 2018, by Merlin Carothers, 1924-2013).


Today's post suggestion: #6 Purpose for Your Life, from Healing Thoughts and Prayers  



   Father, when I awaken in the morning thinking that it is going to be a difficult day, may I also remember that You'll help me change my thoughts into positive ones.
   Help me believe that Jesus is Real, and that He can help me change my thinking. 
   May
 I refuse to speak negatively 
about the way things will go on a given day.
   Others who refuse to except His being able to help them to not 
entertain negative thoughts, can never experience the joy and peace that You can give them.
   Once they step through that doorway of faith, they can begin to learn many things about changing their minds. The more they believe, the greater their joy becomes.
   We ask for Your continued help to think positively, not negatively, and ask it in Jesus' name, for His glory and our good. Amen.


Today's Bible verses-

       Jer. 24:7 (KJV) "And I will give them an heart to know
       me, that I am the LORD: and they shall be my people,
       and I will be their God: for they shall return unto me 
       with their whole heart." 

       Jer. 9:23, 24. (KJV) "Thus saith the LORD. Let not the 
       wise man glory in his wisdom, neither let the mighty man
       glory in his might, let not the rich man glory in his riches:
       (24) But let him that glorieth glory in this, that he
       understandeth and knoweth me, that I am the LORD
       which exercise lovingkindness, judgment, and righteousness, 
       in the earth: for these things I delight, saith the LORD."



Today's quote-

~ Lawrence Darmani- "God knows us thoroughly as we go about our everyday chores, at different locations and situations, no matter our condition (Ps. 139:1-4; 7-12). He does not abandon us or forget us; nor is He so busy that He neglects us. Even when we are in trouble or in difficult circumstances—"darkness" and "night" (vv. 11-12)—we are not hidden from His presence. this truth gives us such hope and assurance that we can praise the Lord who has carefully created us and leads us through life (v. 14)." 

(Taken from Our Daily Bread®, ©7/13/2018 by Our Daily Bread Ministries, Grand Rapids, MI. Reprinted by permission. All rights reserved. www.odb.org.)


Today's popular post-


God Sent an Angel on my Darkest Day


Kristy shares with us, "My panic 
disorder was out of control for 
another one of those week-long stints. 
My boyfriend and I had broken up. 
My landlord had sold my house. 
 I was house-sitting for a work-friend. 
At that time, I didn’t have a faith community to lift me up."

List of recent sermons of CFC ministersCFC Potsdam church has a live service at 10 am Sunday's for shut-ins. If for some reason you can't make it to the church you usually attend, click on the above link, and still get fed!

Upcoming posts-

     #77 Maintain a Special Prayer Burden for the Youth
7th- Tuesday's post by Dr. Wesley L. Duewel

     #78 Your Ministry of Tears
9th- Thursday's post by Dr. Wesley L. Duewel

          Have You Been to the Water?
18th- Saturday's post by Jean Oathout

     #79 Men who Served the Lord with Tears
14th- Tuesday's post by Dr. Wesley L. Duewel


Summer scene of two kittens













Jean's blog  (Click to see snippets of the 7 recent posts)
Jean's published book Paper back $7.95
(Be sure to "look inside" to see contents
through the 2nd devotion)

2 comments: