Saturday, January 4, 2020

Grace for the Imperfect


 


It wasn’t a major thing she did to upset me. It was many minor things over many days. For instance, I shared a joy I was thrilled about, but she changed the subject. 

I sent her texts of love from the bottom of my heart, and she was either slow to respond, or didn’t respond at all. I showed love, but she didn’t invite me to things other friends were invited to. (Google image, Two ladies talking clipart)

Inside, I was ready to write her off.

I’ve invested so much, but I am done with her.

Consciously and decisively, I created distance when we were together: talking to her less, giving her short answers, avoiding eye contact, and paying attention to others more.

But at home, I felt convicted. What is true love if it is dependent on another woman’s response?

I’d looked to her response to define my worth. But in reality, my love isn’t unto her – it is unto Christ. I’d lost perspective.

Worst of all, I’d allowed something horrible to grow within me.

A bitter root was forming.

See to it that no one falls short of the grace of God and that no bitter root grows up to cause trouble and defile many (Hebrews 12:15, NIV).

Do you have a bitter root forming within? Toward a co-worker? A husband? A friend? A child?
There are 3 ways to pull out bad roots:

1. Forgive.
Christ forgave us when we were still sinners. Likewise, we forgive others while they are still imperfect. This doesn’t negate or defend bad actions, but it frees us from carrying the weight of them.

2. Extend grace.
We can extend to others the very grace we could only hope to receive on our worst day.

No one is perfect. We all are growing. We hit busy seasons. Tough seasons. Rough seasons. Pain. Trials. Tribulations. Huge mistakes.

Christ-like love bears each other’s weaknesses, so as to carry the other person’s cross, even if only for a bit. This kind of love changes relationships, brings back marriages and restores what has been lost. It resurrects.

3. Receive grace.
Undoubtedly, I had eyes for myself in this situation. There was more to this woman’s responses. I could either beat myself up for what I’d done wrong or receive the grace Jesus paid for. 

The first option would keep me stuck in perpetual self-harm, but the other would set me free.

You too can let yourself off the hook, because Christ is not condemning you. The second you confess, you are blessed by His grace.

See to it that no one falls short of the grace of God and that no bitter root grows up to cause trouble and defile many (Hebrews 12:15, NIV).

Let’s Pray

   "Father, teach me true love. Grow me in receiving and giving grace. I don’t always see things clearly, but You do. Give me grace to see through Your eyes.

In Jesus’ Name, Amen"

November 11, 2019
Grace for the Imperfect

Kelly Balarie



161-165 of 200 one-line Scriptures for those of you who want to learn some more this week- 

161- "Let this mind be in you, which was also in Christ Jesus."

162- 1 Cor. 14:40 "Let all things be done decently and in order."

163- Ps. 120:1 "In my distress I cried unto the LORD, and he heard me."

164- Ps. 47:1 "O clap your hands, all ye people, shout unto God with the voice of triumph."

165- Ps. 92:1 "It is a good thing to give thanks unto the LORD, and to sing praises unto thy name, O most High."


Today's quote-

~ James H. Watkins- "This coming year, God will orchestrate the relationships in our lives. He will arrange for us to meet those who need our help, friendship and love . . . 
   And this same God can work out the timing of each event in our lives. It is this promise that can allow us to wait patiently rather than become frustrated with schedules and deadlines in the coming year . . . 
   God’s providence extends to our very location. If a major move is in this coming year, we can be assured that God has worked out all the details. His providence applies to even personnel managers!"
   "And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose" (Romans 8:28).


   James' book addresses this:  God, I Don't Understand: Unanswered Prayer, Unfulfilled Promises, Unpunished Evil 







Words of wisdom-


The media are devoted to fear-inducing subject matter to distract us from remembering that God is our Refuge in all circumstances. We're to open our eyes to see more and more of His Presence all around us, and to proclaim Him to the world.

If you have past sins that cause you inner pain, bring them to the surface, confess what you did wrong and deal with them, by putting them under Christ's blood.


Today's guest post-


Harassment or Opportunity?




Helen Cannon

  By 11:00 a.m., four invasions from dubious, uninvited sources had occurred.
  What was it I was just praying about? My patience was already strained as I listened to the message from the most recent invader: “Return this call immediately. If you do not, we will suspend your Social Security number.”
  Righteous indignation sparked. Okay, you want me to phone right back? I will gladly call and tell you exactly what I think.
  When the fake Social Security man answered, my rant began. “How dare you . . . terrifying innocent people . . . scammers and liars … abusing the elderly . . .”
  Just as feistily, he retorted, “Why did you call if you thought it was a scam, and who told you to call?. . ”(Italics added)


List of recent sermons of CFC ministersCFC Potsdam NY church has a live service at 10 am Sunday's for shut-ins. If for some reason you can't make it to the church you usually attend, click on the above link, and still get fed!

Helpful ways the Lord helped me in my marriage

Upcoming posts-

7th- Tuesday's post by Andrew Murray

     #30 Aglow with the Spirit
9th- Thursday's post by Andrew Murray

         Hazardous Materials
10th- Friday's post by Jennifer Schuldt

     #31 Preparing for Spiritual Warfare
14th- Tuesday's post by Andrew Murray










No comments:

Post a Comment