Saturday, December 10, 2011

Following God

“Have you ever been in a difficult spot, despite doing all the right things?”

Pocket Devotions from Pocket Testament League for 11/14/11 (part 2) www.ptl.org

     "Because the patriarchs were jealous of Joseph, they sold him as a slave into Egypt. But God was with him and rescued him from all his troubles. He gave Joseph wisdom and enabled him to gain the goodwill of Pharaoh King of Egypt; so he made him ruler over Egypt and all his palace." Acts 7:9-10

Thoughts for Today:

     Isn't it funny how the first thing we think of when we suffer is that it is because of something we did wrong or a lesson we need to learn? I wonder if Joseph felt that way. That kind of thinking can be a real trap, because many times the calamitous event you experience (like Joseph's) is not for any reason other than -- it is God's way of moving you from where you are to where He wants you to be.

     I call this ‘Following God, part 2 (FG2)’ -- all it requires of us is the willingness to grow -- notice I didn't say "learn from the experience." So often when we go through a difficult time, we think it is because God is trying to teach us something -- so we try to learn from the experience and many times learn the wrong thing. If Joseph had done so, he might have "learned" not to trust his brothers, or go places by himself, etc.

     The key to an FG2 experience is to watch for and remain open to the opportunity. Joseph did so -- rather than be negative and depressed -- Joseph chose to follow God. As a result God gave him ‘wisdom and enabled him to gain the goodwill of Pharaoh.’ Notice the words ‘enabled him’ -- God prepared him with wisdom and created the opportunity for him ‘to gain the goodwill of Pharaoh.’ But it was Joseph who acted upon the opportunity."


Following God’s Lead
                                                                            
By Sharon Jaynes on Crosswalk.com   (12/28/11)

Today’s Truth

“The LORD says, I will guide you along the best pathway for your life. I will advise you and watch over you  (Psalm 32:8 NLT).

“Friend to Friend

              Several years ago, my husband and I decided to take a few ballroom dance classes. I wanted to be the next Fred Astaire and Ginger Rogers. So we signed up for a six week class. The first thing we learned was the Fox Trot, which is like making little boxes with your feet. I put my right hand on Steve’s left shoulder and my left hand into his right and we began to march in little boxes. Slow, slow, quick, quick.

               The teacher explained that Steve was the leader and I needed to learn how to follow his cues. But I had trouble with this. After all, I was the better dancer and felt that if he would just let me lead, then the classes would go a lot quicker.  But that’s not how it works. Steve was the leader, and I had to learn how to follow. For the first few weeks, the teacher kept saying, “Sharon, you’re leading again.”

               Here’s the thing. Steve was the leader and I needed to learn how to trust him. Did you catch that?  It was really about trusting him. And that’s the same way it is with God. When we learn how to trust Him, our walk through life becomes a beautiful dance. God, as the leader, has the hard part. We just have to learn to follow His lead, to trust Him. Then we get to dip and spin and make the fancy moves. He actually makes us look good.

              Steve and I are still no Fred and Ginger, but I have learned how to follow his lead on the dance floor.  And when it comes to my dance with God, I’m learning how to follow His lead as well. And let me tell you, He knows all the right moves.

              I want you to think about that today. When you give up control and learn how to trust God, He turns your walk through life into a beautiful dance that’s He’s choreographed just for you.

Let’s Pray

              Jesus, today I’m trusting You! I’m giving up control and following Your lead. Help me to follow Your cues…Your gentle nudges throughout the day. Thank You for extending Your hand and inviting me onto the dance floor of life! I think I hear the heavenly host playing our song!

              In Jesus’ Name,
              Amen.”

www.girlfriendsingod.com

“Lead me in Your truth and teach me, for You are the God of my salvation: On You I wait all the day.”Ps. 25:5 NKJV

Jean’s email jowildflowers.@gmail.com
Blog:  jean-oathout.blogspot.com




No comments:

Post a Comment