Monday, March 19, 2012

LEARNING DEPENDENCY ON THE LORD

"Saul got up from the ground, but when he opened his eyes he could see nothing. So they led him by the hand into Damascus. For three days he was blind, and did not eat or drink anything."  (Acts 9:8-9)

“Nothing like losing one of your most valuable senses -- your eyesight -- to make you dependent on others or rather to get your attention on what is important. The light that Saul encountered was Jesus, and it was so bright it temporarily burned out his sight. Try looking at a bright light for a few seconds -- then close your eyes. You will still see the image of the bright light against your eyelids. While this effect was not the cause of his blindness, I believe the same thing happened to Saul, except that Saul saw the image of Jesus -- and it was forever imprinted in his mind as a result.

Saul had been motivated by the Lord, and he did the appropriate thing -- he fasted for three days. Why? I think Saul realized he just had a life changing experience and needed to go to God -- setting aside the demands of the flesh -- in order to gain a better understanding of the significance of the message and how it changed his purpose.

I believe the Lord speaks to us in events -- all we have to do is seek Him. Many years ago I had a crisis in my personal life -- one that changed me forever. At the time I was confused and angry. I could have chosen to lose myself in work; in some sports activity; or in some other way to mask my pain and confusion. Instead I locked myself in my apartment for three days -- I fasted and prayed. As a result, God spoke to me, Jesus became real, and my life was irrevocably changed.

Questions to Ponder:

Have you ever had a life altering experience? Did you go to the Lord for direction and meaning while fasting and praying? Too often we direct our energies in painful situations toward something that we think will give us pleasure or entertainment (television, food, alcohol, etc.). What or who do you seek when you are under pressure? Is it the Lord? Have you developed a dependency on the Lord or something else? How do you change?”   Mark Brooks

Copyright©2011 by the Pocket Testament League. All rights reserved

The Pocket Testament League is a 501(c)3 non-profit organization dedicated to helping Christians Read, Carry and Share the Word of God through Gospels and other resources. Membership is free. www.ptl.org                                          

“I waited patiently for the LORD; and He inclined to me, and heard my cry. He also brought me up out of a horrible pit, out of the miry clay, and set my feet upon a rock and established by steps. He has put a new song in my mouth – Praise to our God; many will see it and fear, and will trust in the LORD.”  (Ps. 40:1-3 NKJV)

                                         Our Daily Bread  

                        “Under His wings, what a refuge in sorrow!
                        How the heart yearningly turns to His rest!
                        Often when earth has no balm for my healing,
                 There I find comfort, and there I am blessed. –Cushing

            Prayer is the soil in which hope and healing grow best.”  (10/3/11)

jowildflowers@gmail.com   jean-oathout.blogspot.com 

Tomorrow’s post: MEETINGS THAT HEAL  #23  by Dutch Sheets

No comments:

Post a Comment