Thursday, April 18, 2013

#5 Conflict and Assurance of Revival




Dr R. A. Torrey shares with us, "I shall never forget a night in Chicago. 

After the general prayer-meeting for a world-wide revival had been going on for some time, the man who most closely associated with me in the conduct of the meetings came over to my house one night after the meeting was over and said, 

'Brother Torrey, what do you say to our having a time alone with God every Saturday night after the other meetings are over?

I do not mean,' he continued, 'that we will actually promise to come together every Saturday night; but let us have it tonight anyway.'

There were never more than a dozen persons present, usually about six or seven.

One night when we met to pray, before kneeling in prayer we told one another the things we desired especially to ask of God that night, and then we knelt to pray, and a long silence followed.

No one prayed.

And one of the little company looked up and said, 'I cannot pray, there seems to be something resisting me.'

Then another raised his head and said, 'Neither can I pray, something seems to be resisting me.' Each one had the same story.

What did we do? Break up the prayer-meeting?

No! If we ever felt the need of prayer it was then, and quietly we all bowed before God, and looked to Him to send His Holy Spirit to enable us to pray to victory.

And soon the Spirit of God came upon one and another and I have seldom heard such praying as I heard that night.

And then the Spirit of God came upon me and led me out in such a prayer as I never dreamed of praying.



I was led to ask God that He would send me around the world preaching the Gospel, and give me to see thousands saved in China, in Japan, in Australia, in New Zealand, in Tasmania, in India, in England, Scotland, Ireland, Germany, France and Switzerland; and when I had finished praying, that night, I knew I was going, and I knew what I would see, as well as I knew I was going.

 
I knew what I would see as well as I knew afterward when the actual report came of the mighty things that God had wrought.


That prayer meeting sent me around the world preaching the Gospel.


Oh, that is how we must pray, if we would get what we ask in prayer - pray with the intense earnestness that The Holy Ghost alone can inspire."

# 5 Conflict and Assurance of revival, in the series by what Prayer can do, by Dr. R. A. Torrey. Published by REVIVAL

MOVEMENT ASSOCIATION, of Northern Ireland.
www.revivalmovement.org



[Google images added]

The next post
by Dr. R. A. Torrey will be 4/23 - #6 Of The Church,


{I have to apologize for yesterdays blooper...I deleted the post accidentally. Sorry. There will be no post on Daffodils.}

Our prayer challenge: Go after God! Let the praises go up!

Biblical Virtues to pray for your kids: #25 Hope. "May the God of hope grant that my children may overflow with hope and hopefulness by the power of the Holy Spirit" Rom. 15:13. [Bob Hostetler]

Our quote today: Dave Branon – “When we desire to enter God’s presence in prayer, He is always there: “Evening and morning and at noon I will pray, and cry aloud, and He shall hear my voice" Ps. 55:17.

Our thought today: We need to die to ourselves to allow the whole life of God to reign.

Tomorrow’s post: A Tangible God Cindy Sproles

A popular post:
BECOMING MORE FRUITFUL

Jill Savage:  Got Teens? You need to know about these great resources for teens and parents of teens!
Posted: 09 Apr 2013 04:00 AM PDT

 






















No comments:

Post a Comment