Friday, April 19, 2013

A Tangible God






Cindy Sproles shares with us, "Tangible. I needed something tangible that day. 

I was worried, stressed. I needed something I could wrap my fingers around and hold in my hands. 
After all, I’m human and there’s that innate need to touch reality. 

But the reality is … God isn’t tangible. At least not in how we think of it. It’s easy to proclaim, 'I’m a Christian. I’m faithful.'


But when life tosses a fastball and I pray, plead, and beg, yet God doesn’t answer immediately … His reality seems to inch further from my fingertips. 


His face blurs. That whole faith being the confidence in what we hope for and the assurance of what we cannot see, fades.

In my humanity, I’m imperfect. Selfish. Weak. 
Less than faithful and my faith is something that shouldn’t waiver. 

Be it good or bad, this constant of faith is the image of God. This bulwark that never fails should be ingrained so deep in my mind that I never forget what it looks like.

Paul never walked with Jesus. He never had the privilege to sit at His feet and learn from the Master. 


Yet, through his conversation and into his ministry, Paul’s image of Christ never left his sight. 
So when he wrote to the church at Colossae his letter began with the highest praise: …we have heard of your faith in Christ Jesus. 

Paul went on to proclaim Christ’s supremacy. 


Even when the people couldn’t see the tangible Jesus, they never turned loose of the image Paul had placed in their minds. He’d preached so vividly of Christ that when the people thought of Jesus, they saw God.

When I ponder life, I see a very vivid picture of the invisible God. I see His majesty everywhere. 


 

The walks I’ve taken along the mountainside scream the omnipresence of God.


His omnipotence and omniscience shine in all He has created. 


God is so intertwined in His universe that it’s hard, if we’re honest, not to see His tangible presence. 






And when I don’t notice, to wrap my hands around His realities, then I have failed.

Open your eyes to the mighty God who was, is and always shall be supreme. 
Bow before Him and when your eyes close in prayer, envision His image. 

Let the face of Christ burn in your memory so you never forget He is very tangible."

"Christ is the visible image of the invisible God. He existed before anything was created and is supreme over all creation …"  Colossians 1:15 NLT

A Tangible God – She Said

Read Cindy’s devotions.
Eddie Jones and Cindy Sproles are friends and cofounders of ChristianDevotions.us
They co write the popular He Said, She Said devotions and host Blog Talk Radio’s Christian Devotions SPEAK UP! along with Scott McCausey. Eddie and Cindy travel and speak at conferences across the country and they are available to speak at your church or conference. Contact them at cindy@christiandevotions.us


Used by permission www.christiandevotions.us

 [Google images added]

Our prayer challenge: Holiness is the heritage for the American people! There are deep wells in people which need to be re-dug.


Biblical Virtues to pray for your kids: #26 Willingness and ability to work. "Teach my children, Lord, to value [Google image added]work and to work at it with all their heart, as working for the Lord, not for men" Col. 3:23

Today’s quote: David McCasland – “The Lord wants us to understand His plan and purpose clearly, so that we may love, obey, and cling to him – for He is our “life and length of [our] days” Deu. 30:20. That’s plain to see.”

Our thought for today:
The apostle Paul considered it well worth it to serve Christ. He was rejoicing, though in prison!
Link to Jill Savage
Tomorrow’s post: Can You Just Hold Me? by Jill Savage

A popular post: Be Still 
Gwen Smith tells us, “There was a crisp chill slipping through the window as I headed to the
 couch to get with God before rushing into my day..."                                                                                     
Elaine Miller had this to say from an admirer on Facebook about her book, We All Married Idiots: 
"Oh I do love those 5 star reviews! — "I was pleasantly surprised at how relevant Elaine's wisdom is to even a healthy marriage like mine. More importantly, the book speaks to any kind of relationship. I found the definitions of "idiot" and "fool" intriguing, and understanding the difference has helped me understand how to better relate to the "idiots" in my life, and to be glad they're not fools! I recommend this book for anyone--married or not--who struggles in their relationships with very imperfect people."  www.SplashesofSerenity.com

Samples of Jean's crafts
http://twitter.com/jeanoathout
http://facebook.com/jean.oathout


 

No comments:

Post a Comment