Tuesday, May 28, 2013

#13 Two Men From Australia



Dr. R. A. Torrey continues with his advice about revivals:

"After we had been praying for some months two men from far away Australia appeared in our lecture room.


After they had been attending the lectures for some time, they asked for a private conversation with me.


They told me that in leaving Australia they had been commissioned to go to England, to Keswick and other places and to other gatherings in America, and select someone to invite to Australia to conduct an evangelistic campaign.


They said further that they had both agreed upon me: would I go? 


I replied, I do not see how I can leave Chicago.


I have the Bible Institute to look after, and also the Chicago Avenue Church (the Moody Church), and I do not see how I can possibly get way from Chicago.


'Well,' they said,' 'you are coming to Australia.'


Some months passed by and I was in a Bible Conference in St. Louis and I received a letter from Australia asking me to cable my acceptance of their invitation, and that they would at once cable me the money to come.


I laid the matter before the Conference in order to be alone in prayer.


And God made it clear that I should go, and so I cabled them.


When Mr Alexander and I reached Australia we found that there was a group of about ten or twelve men who had been praying for years for a great revival in Australia.


They had banded together to pray for 'the big revival', as they called it in their prayers, to pray for the revival no matter how long it took.

The group was let by the Rev. John McNeil, the author of "The Spirit-Filled Life", but he had died before we reached Australia.

A second member of the group, Rev. Allan Webb, died the first week of our meetings in Melbourne.


He had come to Melbourne to assist in the meetings, and died on his knees in prayer."

Today's post -Two Men From Australia, in the series by what Prayer can do, by Dr. R. A. Torrey. Published by REVIVAL MOVEMENT ASSOCIATION, of Northern Ireland. www.revivalmovement.org

The next post on 5/30 by Dr. R. A. Torrey will be #15 The Welsh Revival

Let’s pray: Father, may I remember that when You speak to me about what is Your will for me, that I will be quick to obey. Please help me listen to Your nudging. In Jesus' name, Amen.


Prayer for your pastor:  "Lord, as You have promised, grant my shepherd(s) lasting fruit. Let those who believe in You through his/her ministry brow in the grace and knowledge of Jesus Christ. May they become disciples who disciple others  Jn. 15-16; Col. 2:6-7; 2 Tim. 2:2. [Taken from Scripture-Based Prayers to pray for Your Pastor, by Terry Teykl   www.praymag.com]

Today’s Bible verse: Ps. 73:28 "But it is good for me to draw near to God: I have put my trust in the Lord God, that I may declare all thy works."

Today’s quote:  Our Daily Bread 

            “Commit to pray and intercede –
        The battle’s strong and great’s the need; 

            And this one truth can’t be ignored: 
      Our only help comes from the Lord. – Sper

            “Intercede for others in prayer;
           God’s throne is always accessible.”


Our thought today: Watch your desires and where they take you.

Tomorrow’s post:  Are You a Good Disciple? Jean Oathout

 
A popular post: I'M DESTINED FOR GLORY BECAUSE OF THE TREE









jowildflowers@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment