Sunday, June 16, 2013

How Much Time Does it Take?



Michael Brooks shares with us, "On my first medical/
evangelical mission I went to Nepal with 3 other men: 

Len, our doctor; Peter, a retired army colonel; and Jim, the Executive Director of the Pocket Testament League. 

All of these men were extraordinarily gifted in evangelism. 

They had (together and separately) traveled the world bringing the Gospel of Jesus Christ to some of its most remote regions. 

Then there was me -- completely without credentials in any type of evangelism never having traveled outside of North America. I have to be honest, I felt a little intimidated.

I will never forget our first clinic in a small mountain village near Jonson. We set up in the village meeting hall (a building with a packed dirt floor, wood roof stacked on top with firewood, and locally crafted brick walls). It was rather rustic. 


The program basically went like this: the villagers first saw the doctor, then were invited to meet with one of us for 'spiritual counseling,' at which time we would share Jesus. 

At first I thought I would observe and then once I felt comfortable perhaps give it a try myself. However, the Holy Spirit urged me to jump in from the beginning.


We each had translators and as two of the villagers sat down at my station I took a deep breath and began to share the Gospel. 

Don't get me wrong, I was very prepared. 

I had spent the previous two months researching and printing information from the internet. I understood the basic culture of the region, its religion (Hindu), its orientation toward Christianity, etc. 

After some very careful planning I had decided to take a creationist approach to explaining the Gospel. 

I spent perhaps 45 minutes with my first two villagers going over the basic tenets and beliefs of Christianity and how it differed from Hinduism. 

Other villagers began to gather around my station; I got a little nervous; and my audience had grown from two to over ten. I bumbled, fumbled my notes, and stumbled over my words. 

My interpreter kept asking me to slow down and to repeat myself. 

It was perhaps the worst presentation of the Gospel anyone has ever done. 

Then my interpreter Megh stopped me -- the group had asked him a question, 'Can we have this Jesus?'

I said, 'What?!' Megh told me they wanted to accept Jesus as their Lord and Savior. 

I told him that was not possible because I had not finished and they really didn't know all of the complexities of what a life in Christ meant. 

So I began again from the beginning, in even greater detail. 

Everyone seemed to be captured by my every word despite my floundering about. To be honest I don't even remember what I said. 

When I finally finished I looked each person in the eye and asked, 'Do you really want to accept Jesus?' 

Each one answered solemnly, 'Yes!' 

I asked again, 'Are you sure, you know you don't have to.' All nodded affirmatively for a second time. 

Then a Scripture came to mind from 1 Thessalonians 2:13, "And we also thank God continually because, when you received the word of God, which you heard from us, you accepted it not as the word of men, but as it actually is, the word of God, which is at work in you who believe." 

I thought, who am I to question God? If God is speaking to them about the truth of Jesus Christ through me, then I should probably just get out of the way. 

Amid many tears of thanksgiving, hugs, and prayers, I led 17 people that day to the Lord. It was the most glorious experience of my Christian life. 

I saw God moving and working -- saving His people right before my eyes, it was a miracle.

Acts 26:28-29


"Then Agrippa said to Paul, 'Do you think that in such a short time you can persuade me to be a Christian?" Paul replied, "Short time or long -- I pray God that not only you but all who are listening to me today may become what I am, except for these chains.' "

In our passage today, King Agrippa asks Paul if he thinks that in such a short time Paul can persuade him to become a Christian. 

Paul answers well when he says, [my words], 'Short or long it doesn't really matter, I just hope you come to know Jesus.' 

Does it really matter how long it takes to decide? 

The villagers fell in love with Jesus at first sight.

Questions to Ponder:

During my Nepal mission I marveled at how God opened the hearts of so many villagers to the truth of His Son Jesus Christ in such a short time. 


It was the first time I had personally witnessed the workings of the Holy Spirit and the power of the Word of God in such a tangible way. 

I didn't need to use clever tactics or fancy words. The Lord brought His people into relationship with Him in spite of what I did. 

I needed to know it wasn't what I said that mattered; just my willingness to go and speak. 

Have you allowed the Lord to 'power' you? 

Is there someone who needs to hear the Gospel, but you are afraid you will blow it? 

Will you trust God to deliver His message? 

Yield to His power today."

[As seen on the Pocket Testament  www.ntl.org 5/9/13] 


[Google images added]

Let’s pray: Father, with these words in mind, may I learn to give You opportunities for me to share Your gospel with people I come in contact with. In Jesus' name, I pray. Amen


Today’s quote: – “Joel T. Barnaby

"As a father I've learned that:

1) I must always be in continual state of gratefulness to The Lord.
2) I must have a genuine spirit of humility.
3) I must learn to control my tongue and my emotions.
4) I must have good manners
5) I must accept each child as he or she is.
6) I must see their individual worth and potential.

7) I must earn the right to be heard."

Our thought today: There will come a time of reaping/harvesting for our sincere efforts to be a blessing to others. God will follow up our planting of His precious Seed of His Word into the lives of others. His desire is to use us, so we need to not faint, but take heart and do what we’re called to do, no matter how insignificant it may seem to us.

Tomorrow’s post:
Through Jars of Clay Carol Guthrie Heilman


No comments:

Post a Comment