Saturday, July 21, 2018

Hand in Hand

     Toni CampbellCuriosity and wonder have captivated her inquisitive mind and she toddles off, wanting to explore.
   While she is blissfully unaware of anything beyond her field of vision, I see the potential dangers. (Toni's picture)

   "Give me your hand sweetheart."

   Sometimes, she'll turn around with a big grin and willingly slip her tiny hand in mine. I praise her wise decision. "Thank you, honey, you're a good girl to walk with Grandma."

   Other times she looks me straight in the eye as she pulls her hand close to her chest and very clearly and defiantly says "no!"

   I don't lose my patience. I know she is learning and at the ripe old age of two, testing boundaries.

   But I repeat myself a little firmer, knowing what is best for her. "Give me your hand sweetie." I hold out my hand to encourage the right decision on her part.

   I don't love her more or less based on her reply. 

   I don't think I could possibly love this little girl any more than I already do and I can't imagine ever loving her less than with every fiber of my being.

   Eventually, as she matures and our relationship grows I hope she will come to trust me more, believing my request is in her best interest so the defiant "no's" will be fewer.

   Right now, I love that she has already begun to invite me on her adventures.

   "C'mon Gamma" is one of the sweetest phrases I've ever heard. 

   She flashes a toothy smile and grabs my hand or beckons me forward by opening her hand wide, clenching it closed and opening it again.

   I am smitten.

   My friends, our walk with God is so very similar. The world around us entices us, and sometimes we are tempted to wander off.

   "Give me your hand" we hear the Father say.

   If we are wise, we turn back toward Him and grasp His hand.

   "If I rise on the wings of the dawn, if I settle on the far side of the sea, even there your hand will guide me, your right hand will hold me fast." Psalm 139:9-10
 
   But sometimes, we are stubborn and defiant. Even though we know He leads us in the way of life, we pull back our hand and assert ourselves loud and foolishly proud.

   "No!" we declare.

   Even when we reject Him, He loves us still - He couldn't love us any more than He already does - and rather than losing patience, He tells us His mercies are new each morning.

   But He also lovingly and firmly repeats Himself.

   "Give me your hand."

   His thoughts are higher than ours and His ways are higher too. He sees far beyond our limited field of vision and seeks to spare us from dangerous circumstances.

   "For I am the Lord your God who takes hold of your right and and says to you, Do not fear; I will help you." Isaiah 41:13

   He longs for us to invite Him along into our day. It gives Him pleasure to commune with us.

   As our relationship with the Father matures and grows, we learn to trust Him more. We know He desires only the best for us, and our "no's" become less frequent.

   As you face this day and all it holds, don't be tempted to strike out on your own.

   Slip your hand into His and never let go.

Hand in Hand  Toni Campbell

    Father, we see that our walk with You is very similar to the grandma's efforts of love and protection for her granddaughter.
   Forgive us when we follow the world's enticing ventures that tempt us to wander from Your protective Hand.
   We sometimes are stubborn and defiant and pull our hands back, asserting ourselves in proud declarations of "No" to what we know to be Your will.
   Even when we reject You, You still love us, as You couldn't love us any more that You already do. Thank You for not losing patience with us, but continue to offer new mercies every morning!
   It's Your delight for us to invite You to go through the day with us, and to commune with You. 
   May we be less apt to say "No", as we mature in our faith, and learn to trust You more.
   We ask this in Jesus' name. Amen.
 
Today's Bible verses-
     
       Isaiah 41:13 (MSG) "That's right. Because I, your God,
       have a firm grip on you and I'm not letting go. I'm telling
       you, 'Don't panic. I'm right here to help you.' "

       Psalm 139:9-10 (KJV) "If I take the wings of the morning,
       and dwell in the uttermost parts of the sea; (10) Even 
there 
       shall thy hand lead me, and thy right hand shall hold me."


Today's quote-

Mark Chironna- "You are who you are for a reason, and that reason is your destined purpose in this life. To be effective in fulfilling your purpose requires that you first understand that purpose. And the gap is a great place to iron it out. Allow the gap to distill your concepts of self. Then, watch as your authentic identity becomes clearer and your destiny is confirmed.
   Realize, though, that a fresh understanding of your purpose doesn't come at the same speed that a microwave meal is cooked. There is a process involved. Don't be alarmed when your now doesn't seem to measure up to your destiny. Snapshots of your journey never show all that you are becoming. Yet, taking those snapshots is invaluable, and learning from them will guide you straight through the gap and beyond." 
(Taken from Mark's book: Life Quest -Navigating the Gap Between Your Current Reality and Your Future Destiny)


Today's popular post-  
Locked Into Love

Jean Oathout shares with us a message from the Message Bible today, that may help us better understand God's love for us:

   "So what do you think? With God on our side like this, how can we lose? If God didn't hesitate to put everything on the line for us, embracing our condition and exposing himself to the worst by sending his own Son, is there anything else he wouldn't gladly and freely do for us?"


List of recent sermons of CFC ministersCFC Potsdam church has a live service at 10 am Sunday's for shut-ins. If for some reason you can't make it to the church you usually attend, click on the above link, and still get fed!


Upcoming posts-

     #73 Your Prayer Must Saturate Message Preparation
24th- Tuesday's post by Dr. Wesley L. Duewel

     #74 Prepared Hearts Prepare Fruitful Messages
26th- Thursday's post by Dr. Wesley L. Duewel

          Sky Watcher
28th- Saturday's post by Lee Forbes

     #75 Your Responsibility to Intercede for Your People
31st- Tuesday's post by Dr. Wesley L. Duewel

Beagle sniffing flower


   










Jean's blog  (Click to see snippets of the 7 recent posts)
Jean's published book Paper back $7.95
(Be sure to "look inside" to see contents
through the 2nd devotion)




2 comments:

  1. Jean: I really enjoyed what Toni Campbell wrote/ It is so true and struck home with me. I know I have a loving father who never gives up on me and feel so blessed in that knowledge.

    ReplyDelete