Thursday, December 6, 2018

#106 Testimonies of the Infilling- Part 4


Dr. Wesley L. Duewel: Oswald Chambers was a strong Bible teacher of this experience. He testified, 

     "Dr. F. B. Meyer came and spoke to us about the Holy Spirit. I determined to have all that was going, and went to my room and asked God simply and definitely for his Holy Spirit, whatever that meant." (Google image, Pray and keep eyes on God) by Oswald Chambers
   
   He said that no one he knew seemed able to help him trust God for this experience. Four years later God spoke to him through His Word: 

     "Luke 11:13 got hold of me . . . it was borne in upon me that I had to claim the gift from God on the authority of Jesus Christ . . . this I did in dogged committal. I had no vision of heaven or of angels . . . but like a flash something happened inside me . . . the days that followed have truly been heaven on earth. Glory be to God—the last aching abyss of the human heart is filled to overflowing with the love of God. The power and tyranny of sin is gone and the radiant, unspeakable emancipation of the indwelling Christ has come."  [Edman, Secret, 33-34].

   Dr. Arthur T. Pierson for several years pastored Spurgeon's Tabernacle in London. He was a leader in the Bible Conference and Student Volunteer movements, and for years lectured in Moody Bible Institute.

   For eighteen years of his ministry he depended largely on his literary power and oratory. Then he sought and received the infilling of the Spirit. Testifying to an assembly of ministers, he said,

    "Brethren, I have seen more conversions and accomplished more in the eighteen months since I received that blessing than in the eighteen years previous."

   Dr. Walter L. Wilson, beloved physician-Bible teacher of Kansas city, was converted in his teens in a tent meeting. Eighteen years later Dr. James M. Gray, Reformed Episcopal clergyman and then the revered president of Moody Bible Institute, preaching on Romans 12:1, challenged all to give their bodies in total consecration to the Holy Spirit.

   Wilson went home and prostrated himself on the carpet in his study and made a detailed and absolute surrender of his body and whole being to be filled with the Holy Spirit. This is Dr. Wilson's testimony:

    "With regard to my own experience with the Holy Spirit, I may say that the transformation in my own life on Jan. 14, 1914, was greater, much greater, than the change which took place when I was saved Dec. 21, 1896." 

   From the very next morning forward Walter Wilson became a tremendous soul-winner, whose thrilling experiences in soul-winning, as recorded in his books, have blessed thousands. 

   This is but a small sampling of better known Christian leaders whose lives have been transformed by a definite experience of the Spirit's infilling. Thousands upon thousands of others from nearly all denominations can testify to a similar definite experience in their walk with God. Some are more dramatic than others, but all speak of the all-sufficient grace of God and lavishness of the Spirit's fullness.
~ ~ ~ ~ ~
   Used by permission of the author and Duewel Literature Trust, Inc., Greenwood, Indiana. Creative reading style by Jean.



Ablaze for God

#106 Testimonies of the Infilling- Part 4
by Dr. Wesley L. Duewel
(pp. 304- 306) ZondervanPublishingHouse







Let's pray-

   Father, as these prominent leaders found that asking You simply and definitely for Your Spirit to fill them, we ask for this to happen to more of us too!
   Reading Luke 11:13, [below] let's understand that Your desire is to give us Your Spirit as a gift from You, and to claim it on the authority of Your Son, Jesus Christ.
   May we become more effective soul-winners through receiving Your Spirit today. Help us surrender our minds, bodies and souls to You, and become all You intend for us to have for the furtherance of Christ's Kingdom.
   We pray this in Jesus' name, and for His glory and honor. Amen.


Today's Bible verses-

       Luke 11:13 (NKJV) "If you then, being evil, know how
       to give good gifts to your children, how much more 
       will your heavenly Father give the Holy Spirit to those 
       who ask Him!"

       Is. 42:8, 9 NKJV) 
       "I am the LORD, that is My name;
       And My glory I will not give to another, 
       Nor My praise to graven images. 
       Behold, the former things have come to pass, 
       And new things I declare; 
       Before they spring forth I tell you of them."

       Prov. 14:33 a (NKJV) "Wisdom rests quietly in the
       heart of him who has understanding."

       Jer. 17:7, 8 NKJV) 
       Blessed is the man who trusts in the LORD,
       And whose hope is the LORD. 
       (v. 8)   For he shall be like a tree planted by the waters,
       which spreads out its roots by the river,
       And will not fear when heat comes;
       But its leaf will be green, and will not be anxious in
       the year of drought, nor will cease from yielding fruit.

       
Today's quote-

~ Oswald Chambers- "Life without war is impossible in the natural or the supernatural realm. It is a fact that there is a continuing struggle in the physical, mental, moral, and spiritual areas of life.
   Health is the balance between the physical parts of my body and all the things and forces surrounding me. To maintain good health I must have sufficient internal strength to fight off the things that are external. Everything outside my physical life is designed to cause my death. The very elements that sustain me while I am alive work to decay and disintegrate my body once it is dead. 
   If I have enough inner strength to fight, I help to produce the balance needed for health. The same is true of the mental life. If I want to maintain a strong and active mental life, I have to fight. This struggle produces the mental balance called thought.
   Morally it is the same. Anything that does not strengthen me morally is the enemy of virtue within me. Whether I overcome, thereby producing virtue, depends on the level of moral excellence in my life. But we must fight to be moral. Morality does not happen by accident; moral virtue is acquired.
   And spiritually it is also the same. Jesus said, “In the world you will have tribulation…” (John 16:33). This means that anything which is not spiritual leads to my downfall. Jesus went on to say, “ . . . but be of good cheer, I have overcome the world.” I must learn to fight against and overcome the things that come against me, and in that way produce the balance of holiness. Then it becomes a delight to meet opposition.
Holiness is the balance between my nature and the law of God as expressed in Jesus Christ. From My Utmost for His Highest Updated Edition

Today's question-

     How does the manner in which we speak have an affect on others?

   Unless our words are guided by the Spirit of God, we are apt to say things that hurt others; as we tend to color our words with our thoughts, experiences and sometimes, bitterness. It is a real challenge to keep our words full of grace and blessing, as we can kill good efforts to help by unkind words.
   The Holy Spirit will help us see what the Father is doing, and also to show us what the natural man sees; only what is wrong. We're to be alert to see with God's eyes to encourage others, and to speak words of life to them to give them a hope of the future.
   Our asking "What is the need. How can I help?" can open up the opportunity to speak into their challenges and to give godly advice. Because God is a God of the present, our words can give life through the power of the tongue for their need.
   We are responsible for the stewardship of our tongue; whether our words are kind or unkind. We are all capable of saying unkind words, as we think we know what's best for someone to say, do or think in the situation. But, as the Bible advises, we are to be of few words, and to use "Yes" and "No," for sometimes it is good advice for us in certain situations. Our giving some thought as to what would be wise to say, is best.


Upcoming posts-

          In Progress or Completed?
8th- Saturday's post by Adam Holz

     #107 How to be Filled with the Spirit
11th- Tuesday's post by Dr. Wesley L. Duewel

     #108 Simple Steps to be Filled with the Spirit
13th- Thursday's post by Dr. Wesley L. Duewel

          Grace to Stand Alone
15th- Saturday's post by George Shaw

     

Fun in the snow



Jean's blog (Click to see snippets of the 7 recent posts)

1 comment: