Saturday, November 9, 2019

Pursue Your Calling


Mary Southerland-  My husband, Dan, loves Mark Twain. He says that Twain is one of his heroes. And I must admit, Twain wrote some great stuff over his lifetime. But my all-time favorite Mark Twain quote is this:

“The two most important days in your life are the day you were born and the day you find out why.” 
(Google image, God's Masterpiece)

That quote gets at the heart of a set of questions that men and women everywhere ponder on a regular basis:

As always, we turn to our Truth Source for answers. We look to the Bible for God’s answers to our questions.

Here is the verse for today:

We are God’s masterpiece. He has created us anew in Christ Jesus, so we can do the good things he planned for us long ago (Ephesians 2:10, NLT).

God says you are His masterpiece. The Greek word for “masterpiece” is “poema” which is the same word from which we get “poem.” You are a work of art and God’s poem.

That verse speaks a very important truth to us. And it is this: Jesus wants to give you more by helping you discover your calling. He wants you to experience what He created you to do. He wants you to become all that He designed you to be.

Jesus has more for you.
He has a plan for you.
He has a design for you.
He has a calling for you.

And until you discover that calling – you will always be looking for more.

Let’s go back to that verse – Ephesians 2:10 – but this time in the amplified translation. There are three reasons I love the amplified version of the Bible:

Let me show you what I mean. Here is Ephesians 2:10 in the Amplified Translation:

For we are His workmanship (His own master work, a work of art), created in Christ Jesus (reborn from above – spiritually transformed, renewed, ready to be used), for good works, which God prepared (for us) beforehand so that we would walk in them (living the good life which He prearranged and made ready for us).

Wow!

We are masterpieces of God’s own work, created to be used by God, to do good in this world, and to live the prearranged life that He designed us and made us for.

There is only one catch. You have to pursue it.

Seems to me that most people get caught up in two pursuits. We pursue career and we pursue family. And those are worthy pursuits. But be warned. Those kids you are raising are going to leave home one day. And while they will most likely bring you grandkids – which are God’s reward for raising your kids – those grandkids will eventually outgrow the need to spend time with you. 


And career can take all kinds of unexpected turns. Layoffs, cutbacks, conflicts with management, and being forced to retire early because they can hire two people for what they pay you – these are all realities that happen far too often in this world. Is this all there is? Pursuing family and pursuing career?

I believe there is a third pursuit. It is the forgotten pursuit. The overlooked pursuit. The road so often untaken.

It is the pursuit of God’s calling in your life.

He made you for a purpose, a plan, a design, a calling.

You can fill your days with the pursuits of family and career. And those are noble pursuits. But we are made for more. We are made for a calling.

By calling, I mean the thing God created you to do.

By calling, I mean the person God created you to become.

By calling, I mean discovering God’s design for your life.

Will you find that calling by accident?

Not likely.

Will you find it by the process of elimination?

Nope.

You find your calling by doing this: pursue Christ and His calling.

You have to pursue Him. Most things in life that are worth having must be pursued. That is certainly the case with discovering the calling God has for you.

Make the choice today to pursue God’s plan and calling for your life. Don’t settle for less than all God has for you.


          Ephesians 2:10 (NLT)"We are God’s masterpiece. 
       He has created us anew in Christ Jesus, so we can 
       do the good things he planned for us long ago."

Let’s Pray

   Father, thank You for creating me in response to Your plan for my life. I choose to pursue You and the calling You have for me. Help me ignore the distractions that would compel me to take the wrong path. Show me how to listen to Your voice above all others. I want more. I want You, Father.


In Jesus’ Name, Amen"




Pursue Your Calling
Mary Southerland


121 - 125 of 200 one-line Scriptures for those of you who want to learn some more this week- 
       
121- Prov. 25:11 "A word fitly spoken is like apples of gold in pictures of silver."
122- Rom. 6:12 "Let not sin therefore reign in your mortal body, that ye should obey it in the lusts thereof."
123- Ps. 124:8 "Our help is in the name of the LORD, who made heaven and earth."
124- Rom. 8:31 "What shall we say to these things? If God be for us, who can be against us?
125- Rom. 8:25 "But if we hope for that we see not, then do we with patience wait for it."


Today's quote-

Jane Ault- Sometimes, instead of God’s presence, my eyes are on the storm. I fear that I will crash.

 Again, Jesus, my vision is too low.
 In this thing, which you allowed,
 I imagine only destruction. 
 Help me see above this storm.
  
 Or else, take my hand and walk me though it.
 In this thing, which you allowed,
 Let me not be blinded by deception.
 Help me see above the storm.
  
 Jesus, I need a vision adjustment
 About this thing which you allowed;
 My body shakes. I’m filled with tension.
 Your power’s greater than this storm!
  
 That I've said; there’s much knowledge in my head.
 In this thing, which you allowed,
 My heart longs to trust your intention,  
 to believe there is goodness in this storm.
  
 Jesus, you have earth’s and heaven’s vision.
 This is a thing you allowed
 Yourself to feel! So with compassion
 You will enter the storm I am in.
  
 Calm my anger, remove my confusion.
 Is there something I've allowed
 Myself to hide? With faith's perception, 
 Help me walk with you 'til all storms end.
 
 Jane Ault
 10/24/2019
Words of wisdom-

~ We resemble Jesus most when we are servers in our environment.
~ Our godly self-esteem increases when we realize we are in our role by divine assignment.


List of recent sermons of CFC ministersCFC Potsdam NY church has a live service at 10 am Sunday's for shut-ins. If for some reason you can't make it to the church you usually attend, click on the above link, and still get fed!

     #13 Reigning In Him
12th- Tuesday's post by Andrew Murray

     #14 Drawing Near to God
14th- Thursday's post by Andrew Murray

          Touched By Grace
16th- Saturday's post by Sheridan Voysey

     #15 Making an Impact on Your World
19th- Tuesday's post by Andrew Murray













1 comment:

  1. Thank you for this blog, Jean. It's a powerful and encouraging reminder of what my focus must continue to be. Thank you for being faithful to your calling.

    ReplyDelete