Saturday, March 23, 2024

CHOOSING TO LOVE

 

 ~ Emily Marszalek-  "But I say to you, love your enemies, bless those who curse you, do good to those who hate you, and pray for those who spitefully use you and persecute you." Mathew 5:44 (NKJV)  (photo courtesy of pixabay.com.)

Choosing to love was difficult.

I had a distressing work relationship with one of my coworkers, who often poorly treated me and others in the office. My feelings became borderline hateful after he brought one of my coworkers to tears over falsehoods he spread about her. Frustrated by his behavior, I caught myself frequently wishing ill upon him. Knowing my attitude was wrong, I mustered a simple prayer and asked God to help me love him.

Although my heart didn’t undergo an immediate transformation, as I continued to seek God’s help, God softened my attitude, helping me to see my coworker in a new light. Instead of grumbling about him and pointing out his problematic behavior and treatment of others, I prayed for him. I asked God to work in his heart and mine too.

I intentionally showed my coworker grace, kindness, and care. While I had to adopt a fake-it-till-you-make-it approach at first, in time, God helped me feel genuine care and concern for my coworker—a byproduct of a changed heart, only possible through God’s help.

The world will know we are followers of Christ through our love. As we show kindness and love toward even the most challenging or frustrating people, we follow Christ’s example. He loved us so much that He gave His life for us, offering a path to forgiveness and redemption.

Loving our enemies and those who hurt us is daunting, but God will help us when we make an effort.

Who are some people you need to choose to love?  

(For more devotions, visit Christian Devotions.)


 Our word on prayer-

   "Prayer, I realize, opens ourselves, our feelings, and our relationships with others to God, allowing Him to enter and bring His perspective into it all. The act of submitting our will and feelings to Him in prayer allows the Holy Spirit to change our hearts, slowly but surely." Leslie Koh

Give Us Tears in Our Eyes (A prayer composed from Dr. Wesley L. Duewel's poem)


#29 Testimony- Audrey

  
"The last time I visited my father in the VA nursing home in Lake Nona, Florida before he passed away, God gave us something to remember forever special for just us two. 

   We were able to go outside, one nurse after asking many, cared enough to help us get a laydown wheelchair to accommodate his curled up legs. He had end stage multiple sclerosis. 

   Dad was an outdoor enthusiast, a fishing guide part of his life. He raised us girls sharing this passion and instilling it in us to steward the land and its resources and have gratitude for these things. To respect the gift they are. 

   We were quietly soaking in the later hues of the day past 3 or 4 o'clock. The lake sprawled out in front of us full of every bird imaginable. Because of the sanctuary of this manmade lake, it was the only oasis of water for miles in every direction, it seemed to me anyway. 

   Suddenly without warning there was a great whooshing sound as hundreds of wings of all different shapes and sizes took to flight all at once. Something scared them all at once, every kind that had previously been altogether decided collectively it was no longer the spot for them. 

   We were still marveling breathlessly at what did that, and the great mighty sound, when something else grabbed our senses. In the sky suddenly there was a flock of birds that were not like the others.

   These had angles in their feathers, they had speed, they had maneuverability, they were like stealth fighters flying compared to the others. And no small number, probably 100 or more. They were raptors, flying predators. Agile, and poetry in motion, swooping, diving, and furling back effortlessly. 

   It was so awe inspiring, I knew God did it for us. Years later when I really missed Dad I went looking to find out what kind of bird they were. I found out it was a migrating flock of northern Kestrels. It's called a kettle when they group up to move out. They only group up to migrate and are otherwise solitary birds with their mates. 

   This made me cry to find out God's hand in all of it further. Those were birds from the forest of the back up north where we both lived and loved the earth and our lives together. Still moves me to tears to speak of it. God knows our hearts and how to comfort us so gently in our sorrows and trials."

 

Recommended Reading-

THE BAIT OF SATAN bY John Bevere

  "The Bait of Satan exposes one of the most deceptive snares Satan uses to get believers out of the will of God
—offense. This trap restrains countless Christians, severs relationships, and widens the gulfs between us. Jesus said, "It is impossible that no offenses should come" (Luke 17:1.) Although you will encounter offense, you can choose how you will react. 

   In this new twentieth-anniversary edition, John Bevere shows you how to identity the traps ahead of you and escape the victim mentality. With declaration-style prayers and testimonials from people whose lives have been changed by his message, this book will inspire you to stay free from offense and its destructive power."


1171-1175 One-line Scriptures for those of you who want to learn some more verses this week- or to review them from when they were first posted- 
 
1171- Ps. 111:10a "The fear of the LORD is the beginning of wisdom.

1172- Pro. 29:2a "When the righteous are in authority, the people rejoice."

1173- Jer. 29:20a "Hear ye therefore, the word of the LORD."

1174- Jer. 33:19a "The word of the LORD came."

1175- Ps. 135:6a "Whatsoever the LORD pleased, that did he."


#29 Hymn- I've Found a Friend
 
  "I've Found a Friend in Jesus", is a Christian hymn written by William Charles Fry (1837–1882) in London for the Salvation Army. Ira D. Sankey arranged the words to the music of "The Little Old Log Cabin In The Lane" composed by Will Hays.


 Words from the Father in a journal:

   "I want to help you see that what you're asked to do, is to simply trust in My ability to guide your footsteps, thinking and speaking all day. I have planned on blessing you, so just trust My wisdom, knowledge and Presence. I love you and each person you'll come in contact with today. You'll be able to connect with others in a positive way, so as to bring honor to Me."  

 
Upcoming posts

30th- ARE YOU WALKING IN FREEDOM?- Andrea Merrell

 4/6th- BEAUTIFUL RESTORATION- Winn Collier

13th- THE BOOK OF LOVE- Julie Grennes

The North Country Christian Fellowship Center Churches,

located in the St. Lawrence county of NY,

broadcast their Sunday services at 10 or 10:15

You can view past services too.

Sermon listing:https://www.cfconline.org/sermon-library 


No comments:

Post a Comment