Saturday, October 15, 2016

Your Friends are Important

   Jean OathoutHave you noticed  how different your friends are from one another?

   Not their size, shape and color, but have you noticed the varying temperaments, lifestyles, backgrounds and beliefs that make each one unique?
(Google image added).

One my be quiet and unassuming, while another is outgoing and quite vocal. I see in my own friends such a variety, and I notice there's a great opportunity to learn so much about life from them.

What each has experienced thus far offers quite an education in itself, as their backgrounds are so different. What each has gone through definitely brings light on how they have lived, and who they have become.


As my husband and I lived off the land in Lowell, VT for 17 years away from friends and family, I appreciate the opportunity now, to connect with many folks, making close friends of some.

Hearing what others have gone through helps me understand God's grace better, as I can see how He has been faithful to guide them through their tough times.

I remember saying to God one time, "Can't You pick on someone else?" I wasn't aware of His love for me, and how He was trying to change me. I couldn't see then, that it was I who was in need of changing . . .

I needed to ask for forgiveness for the way I had reacted to a situation one day. It's clear to me now, that God wanted me to see that a change in my attitude was important to Him. It brought peace to the situation too.

As I could not be in fellowship with other Christians, the Holy Spirit was helping me learn valuable lessons in my maturing as a child of God. God's Word was my anchor during the 17 years away in Vermont, back in the woods.

My writing the verses for my book, Granny's Guide to Marriage in Verse, came from my experiences there in Vermont, as I learned God's ways for marriage.

To be in fellowship with other believers now for the past 17 years, has helped me grow in faith. I've needed to be around those who loved me enough to help me see how to live a godly life. I've also learned to encourage others to be more like Christ.

The friends that come into our lives will influence us for good or bad. We'll learn from associating with them, whether at work, at church functions or elsewhere.

Small group meetings are so important, as we'll have the opportunity to get acquainted with a few folks, and learn how to care and share with them.

Oft times, we are challenged to consider some opinions and ideas, which may not be what we have had. If we'll make an effort to seek truth in what was said, we may broaden our own understanding about the various subjects.

Because of past hurts and experiences, we do tend to develop a narrow viewpoint on a lot of things. As we learn we actually know very little about a lot of things, it may be to our advantage to be open to learn from others.

When life gives us a difficult twist of things, having a few caring and supporting friends will make a big difference in how we manage life in general.

If we have praying friends, how very blessed we are! If we can share our burdens and pray with them, they may help us find God's guidance and peace in each situation. They'll also come alongside to help anyway they can.

If you do not have such friends, may I suggest that you prayerfully find a Bible-honoring church nearby, and begin to connect with the folks there by showing yourself friendly.

Be thankful for the variety of friends you have. Pray for them each day, as God may very well speak through them to help you live a life more pleasing to Him, and to become a better all-around person and friend.



Today's quote-
  • "If I spend most of my time with someone who hates Jesus, the spiritual friction will drag me down.  Emotionally, physically, and spiritually, I will see the vibrant edges of my faith wither.
  • If I spend most of my time with a 'technical Christian', one who says they love Jesus but appears neutral by the way they live, my passion will be compromised.
  • If I spend much time with radical, faith-filled, passionate believers, their faith will infect me.  My soil becomes rich as we treasure the Word, share our stories, and cheer each other on to greater ventures for the kingdom.
Whom I allow to have access to my ear, daily, affects me.  It is one thing to love the lost and reach out to the hurting with humility.  It is quite another to make them my confidants.  Many today need to make a critical decision to change their company.  Their spiritual survival depends on it.

Loyalty does not equal perpetuating a destructive affiliation.  Teach your church how to exercise discernment with humility.  Amen"
                                                                                                     Wyrtzen, christinewyrtzen@mac.com









"We all need friends who pick us up, and we all know of others who need our encouragement. As Jesus helps and carries us, let us help one another."  Anne Cetas (ODB 8/17/16)

Let's pray-
   "First, oh Lord, forgive us for the times when we have misplaced our priorities so that we haven’t been available to model a strong relationship with You in front of our kids. Help us to understand the power of our influence in our children’s lives and to reorder our schedule so that we can be available to both directly and indirectly offer the godly influence that our kids desperately need. 
   Second, while we do pray that our kids would be protected from negative influences, we also pray that you would surround them with friendships and mentor-type relationships that portray what it means to have an authentic relationship with Christ. In turn, we pray that you would raise our kids up to be the influencers of the next generation. We pray that you would allow godliness and righteousness to dwell in their hearts so richly that these evidences of your truth spill out of them and to every person they encounter."   Alicia Michelle
5 Areas of Your Child's Life to Pray against Satanic Attack
                  
"Encouragers pick others up when
troubles weigh them down."
(ODB 8/17/16)

Our thought today-

   Healthy relationships, both with both God and with others takes quality time. We should stimulate one another and make some improvements in our listening, behavior and outlook on everything we deal with. We stand a better chance of growing in maturity as adults. Fellowship with God first, and then with fellow believers.


Christian Fellowship Center Sermons 
for the series: "Grace Under Pressure"
October 9, 2016

Week 3: Jesus, Our Cornerstone

Speaker: Daniel Paladin
Location: CFC Madrid

Speaker: Jamie Sinclair
Location: CFC Potsdam


CFC sermons  (You can check out the many sermons, and select the ones of interest to you. Maybe you missed one . . .)


Today's Bible verses

(Dan. 5:14 b KJV) "Light and understanding and excellent wisdom is found in thee."

(Dan. 3:29 c KJV) "There is no other God that can deliver after this sort."

Special post-  

Friendships 

Mary Southerland tells us, " Friendship is the catalyst for every other love and the foundation of every healthy relationship. 

God created us to need each other. We need friends and we need to be a friend . . ."


Upcoming posts-

#63 The Command of Faith
18th- Thursday's post by Dr. Wesley l. Duewel

#64 There are Mountains of Difficulty 

 20th- Tuesday's post by Dr. Wesley L. Duewel

Unexpected
22nd- Saturday's post by Lisa Buffaloe

#65 The Dynamic of the Spirit (Part 1 )

                     25th- Tuesday's post by Dr. Wesley 
L. Duewel
                                                                                                                                                    
Evidence that Fall is here!


 Jean's blog (link for snippets of recent posts, and Older Posts for more recent posts).




31-day Devotional + her personal story

A selected poem from p. 32-


"The road gets rough when two wills meet
   As each one wants his way.
It's hoped that God's plan they will seek
   And His Word they'll obey . . . "



 A great gift for someone who may need help to 
prepare for marriage, and for those in a 
marriage, wanting some helpful advice.



No comments:

Post a Comment