Thursday, December 30, 2021

#32 Paul, the Man Who Prayed Constantly

 

 Alvin Vandergriend- For me, the apostle Paul is a truly great hero of prayer, second only to Jesus Christ. In studying the pattern of his prayer life, I was amazed to find no less that 12 distinct passages in Paul's letters in which he uses "time" words such as constantly, always, not stopped, every time, and night and day to describe his prayers for others. What a great example of his own injunction to "pray continually" (1 Thessalonians 5:17). (Google image, The Apostle Paul in jail)

     One reason Paul prayed so constantly was to express his gratitude to God for other believers. Again and again Paul begins his letters with words like "I always thank God for you" and "How can we thank God enough for you? Notice also that Paul thanked God  for these people rather than just thanking them.

   I like to be thanked, but it is even nicer to have someone thank God for me. That way God gets the credit He deserves, and I receive the affirmation and joy that go with serving God.

   Paul also prayed constantly because he cared so deeply for the people he prayed for. We sense Paul's caring in statements like "I have you in my heart" and "I long for all of you with the affection of Christ Jesus. (Phil. 1:7-8). Deep love tends to elicit constant heartfelt prayers.    

   A young man once complained to me that my congregational prayers in worship services were boring. I asked him if he was bored when I prayed for his grandmother. "No," he said, "then I really tuned in." He caught my point and admitted that he was bored because he didn't really care about the other persons being prayed for. Love gives birth to prayer.             

   Paul also knew that his prayers would make a huge difference in the lives of his "sons and daughters" in the faith. He prayed so that they would increase and overflow with love for each other (1 Thessalonians 3:12), be enlightened in their hearts, be filled with all the fullness of God (Ephesians 1:18; 3:19), abound in knowledge and depth of insight (Philippians 1:9), and live lives worthy of the Lord (Colossians 1:10). God heard and answered. Paul's prayers accomplished their purpose.

   Finally, Paul knew that he needed the prayer support of others. "Join me in my struggle by praying to God for me," he writes in Romans 15:30. "Pray also for me, that whenever I open my mouth, words may be given me," he asks in Ephesians 6:19. "And I know that through your prayers and the help given by the Spirit of Jesus Christ, what has happened to me will turn out for my deliverance," he assures his friends in Philippians 1:19.

   Paul the great pray-er is also the one who said, "I urge you to imitate me," and, "Follow my example, as I follow the example of Christ" (1 Corinthians 4:16; 11:1) For this we need much grace.

(pp. 84, 85 in Love to Pray- 40 Day Devotional for Deepening Your Prayer Life by Alvin Vandergriend)


Let's pray-  Debbie McDaniel, from, 10 Powerful Prayers to Pray for the church).

     Father, "
We are so incredibly in need of your power and your strength. We ask that you would fill us with your Spirit of love and unity among believers all around our world. We ask for your help to set aside our differences and look to the greater cause, the cause of Christ. Please help us to truly live out a life of love. We know that this is only possible through the power of your Spirit, so we ask that you would move across our land in miraculous ways, with fresh filling and awareness, turning your people back to you, drawing others to come to know you. 
   We need your unity and your love to stir our hearts and give direction to our days. We need your wisdom to guide us, we need your Spirit to lead us, to live out godly lives that would bring honor first to you. We thank you that you are always with us; and give us great purpose and hope.

In Jesus’ Name, Amen."  



Today's Bible verse-
        
        Ephesians 4:1-3 “I, therefore, a prisoner for the Lord, urge you to walk in a manner worthy of the calling to which you have been called, with all humility and gentleness, with patience, bearing with one another in love, eager to maintain the unity of the Spirit in the bond of peace.”        


Quote for today-

   F. B. Meyer-  "The thousands of sick folk who were brought from every part of Galilee revealed healing qualities in Jesus that would have remained unknown had they not thronged around Him. The leper revealed His purity; the paralyzed His energy; the dying His power of life. So each trial and sorrow which He comes into our lives to share reveals to us, and to the principalities and powers in the heavenlies, some now phase of that wonderful Being who is the complement of our infirmities."

Words of wisdom-

   
 Anyone who does not spend hls life chasing after what the world
 offers, and who  lives his life for Christ, will find and experience eternal life with God.

Enjoy unique opportunities for families, youth and adults to get outside and stay active that you won't experience at any other time of year.




Upcoming posts:

Jan. 1-  No Impossible Obstacles
   Xochitl D
ixon

4th- #33 Elijah, An Ordinary Man Who prayed Powerfully
   Alvin Vandergriend

6th- #34 Jehoshaphat, Victory Through Prayer
   Alvin Vandergriend

8th- Is There Hope for Revival In Darkening Days?
   W. C. Moore (1890-1980)



The North Country Christian Fellowship Center Churches,

located in the St. Lawrence county of NY,

broadcast their Sunday services at 10 or 10:15

You can view past services too.

Sermon listing:https://www.cfconline.org/sermon-library

 

 



 

1 comment:

  1. Great article. Praying with and for you. God is so faithful

    ReplyDelete