Tuesday, January 11, 2022

#35 David: Finding Renewal Through Confession

 

  Alvin Vandergriend- Ps. 51:7-10 "Cleanse me with hyssop, and I will be clean; wash me, and I will be whiter than snow. (v. 8) Let me hear joy and gladness; let the bones you have crushed rejoice. (v. 9) Hide your face from my sins and blot out all my iniquity. (v. 10) Create in me a pure heart, O God, and renew a steadfast spirit within me."

   (For background to this confession, read 2 Samuel 11-12 and Psalm 51) (Google image,  King David praying)


   It may surprise you to know that God is pleased if we are feeling overwhelmed and unhappy and are full of shame and despair if it is sin that has brought us to that 
point. In fact, when we have sinned, God wants us to feel guilty. He knows that the guilt a believer feels will drive him or her to Jesus Christ and to His grace.

   David was a hero of prayer — not because he sinned but because having sinned, he found his way back to God. Many of us have heard of the story about David and Bathsheba. David's army goes out to fight while he stays behind. Passing time on the roof of his palace, he spots beautiful Bathsheba bathing on a nearby rooftop. 

   Filled with lust, he sends for her, takes her to his bed, and she becomes pregnant. Some months later to cover up his adultery, he conveniently arranges for her husband to be killed by the enemy in a set-up ambush.

   Living a lie and having committed both adultery and murder, David feels neither guilt nor shame. But he needs to. So God sends a prophet, Nathan, who draws David emotionally into a simple story about a rich man who steals and kills the favorite lamb of a poor man to feed his guests.

   When David, outraged, declares that the cruel rich man in Nathan's story must die, the prophet turns the ruling back on him and says, "You are the man!" (2 Samuel 12:7).

   Then David feels it. Guilt and shame! As his strength drains away and the heavy hand of God comes down on him, he cries out, "My bones [have] wasted away through all my groaning all day long" (Psalm 32:3). That's the moment God is looking for. Guilt and shame have brought David to the brink of grace. Then comes the great prayer of confession that fills the whole of Psalm 51.

   True confession leads to full forgiveness, freedom from guilt and shame, and restoration of joy and gladness. When we cry out in godly sorrow, "I have sinned," that is not a groveling admission that we are terrible persons. It's the kind of confession that is full of hope and leads to a clean heart, elimination of guilt, and freedom from shame.

   I used to think that confession was the most grievous and unpleasant of all the elements of prayer. From David, who found forgiveness through prayer, I have come to see that it is the most satisfying, the most hopeful, and the most freeing of all prayers.

   Don't let confession get you down. The truth is, real confession will lift you up like nothing else will.

   (pp. 90, 91 in Love to Pray- 40 Day Devotional for Deepening Your Prayer Life by Alvin Vandergriend) 


Let's pray-

     Father, let our sin drive us to the sense of guilt and shame. Like David, may it cleanse our hearts through confession and repentance. As we read Psalm 51, let it be a guide to our cleansing, to give us hope.

   We praise You for Your mercy, which means You don't treat us as our sins deserve. Thank You for the "good guilt" that drives us into Your arms of forgiving love. We readily confess any wrong that remains unconfessed, and ask for clean hearts, a renewed life and steadfast spirits.

   We ask this for our churches, that they be sensitive to sin, and to have a readiness to confess when and if that is needed.

   We pray this in Jesus' name. Amen.


Today's Bible verses-

     Ps. 56:3-4 (NKJV) "Whenever I am afraid, I will trust in You. (v. 4) In God (I will praise His word), In God I have put my trust; I will not fear. What can flesh do to me?"

     Ps. 51:17 (NKJV) "The sacrifices of Good are a broken spirit, A broken and a contrite heart — These, O God, You will not despise."

     Ps. 51:10 (NKJV) "Create in me a clean heart, O God, and renew a steadfast spirit within me."


Quote for today-

Great News

Do you have an empty feeling

Despite what you’ve amassed?

Is satisfaction fleeting?

Do you find it does not last?

Do you feel like you’ve been cheated?

Have your dreams gone up in smoke?

I have exciting news for you. . .

News to give you hope

 

Let me tell you about Jesus.

He’s the answer to your prayer.

He never will forsake you;

He always will be there

To help you plan your future

To fill that empty place.

His gift to you is special—

It’s called “Amazing Grace.”

 

So open up your heart today,

Welcome Jesus in.

He wants to give you freedom

By forgiving all your sins.

You’ll be a brand new person—

Your destiny secure.

When you die and go to heaven…

He will greet you at the door.

 c) Frances Gregory Pasch


Open Bible 
Reading the Bible gives us Life!
 










Words of wisdom-


~ When we've repented of sin, we are encouraged to start praising God for His help to obtain victory, which we see only by our faith.

Upcoming posts:

13th- #36 Prayer Releases God's Power
   Alvin Vandergriend

 I will be on a sabbatical until the 3rd of February. I plan to post another Faith Message on the 8th of February. Be blessed with whatever posts you check out, meanwhile, my friend. Thanks for your prayers on my behalf on this new-to-me venture.

 

An ice hummingbird














The North Country Christian Fellowship Center Churches,

located in the St. Lawrence county of NY,

broadcast their Sunday services at 10 or 10:15

You can view past services too.

Sermon listing:https://www.cfconline.org/sermon-library

 

 


1 comment: