Saturday, December 31, 2022

A KEY TO HAPPINESS

 

~Merlin Carothers- "Faith in God is crucial to our happiness. Faith supplies an inner peace that meets our deepest needs. Unbelievers clutch at straws in their passion to persuade us that there is no God, but our hearts know better. (Google image, Faith).

   We are born with inner conviction that there is a Supreme Being. Therefore, believing in a trusting God gives us inner joy. God wants us to believe that He will supply everything that we need (see Phil. 4:19), but we are plagued by the same temptation that caused Eve to want more than she had.

   If we are not content with what we have, we are not enjoying the "secret" that Paul described. He said he had: . . . learned the secret of being content in any and every situation. . . (Phil. 4:12 NIV). As we learn contentment, our faith in God increases!

   When we choose to be unhappy we face a similar problem to the one Paul had when he chose to persecute Christians. He believed that he was doing the right thing, but he was hurting himself: Paul, Paul, why are you persecuting me? You are only hurting yourself (Acts 26:14 TLB).

   While living in the Garden of Eden, Eve decided to be discontented, and we know what happened! But you and I can decide to be content with our "situation." Many times, every day, we can decide to rejoice regardless of what other thoughts may try to make us unhappy.

   The more we do this, the greater our joy becomes. We keep learning new reasons to rejoice, while others seem to discover reasons to be unhappy. 

   At one time, I took on the responsibility to do a certain job that needed to be done every day. It wasn't the sort of wok I enjoy, but because I try to never complain, I was doing my "duty" every day. But in my heart, I was thinking, I sure wish I didn't need to do this.

   One day the Holy Spirit got my attention and asked me if I thought God wanted me to do the task. What could I say? Of course, He must want me to do it. So why wasn't I enjoying the opportunity to do what He wanted me to do?

   We may think it is asking too much for us to enjoy doing something we don't enjoy, but now I understand that the task itself was not my problem. The problem was within me. Without intending to, I had made up my mind that I didn't enjoy my task and had steadfastly stuck to that decision.

   Why couldn't I work at changing what was within me? I could, and I did! Instead of letting my mind wander and not enjoying my labor, I started declaring my gladness that God had: 

     1. Given me the strength to do it.
     2. Given me the materials to work with.
     3. Given me a spirit that could be guided by His Spirit.

   On and on I expanded my resons for being glad. Within days something new happened in me. I was able to find joy in the work I needed to do. My new success blessed me, and I was clearly aware that God was pleased.

   I encourage you to think about the tasks that God has arranged in your life. Do you want to find joy in them? At first the goal may seem too hard to reach, but don't give up. God wants to take everything in our lives and make it work for our good. Enjoy this new challenge!


Let's pray-

     Father, as faith is crucial to our happiness, it supplies an inner peace that meets our deepest needs. Those without faith clutch at straws in their passion to persuade themselves and us, that there is no God. The fact is, we know better!
   
    We are born with inner conviction that there is a Supreme Being. Believing and trusting Him gives us inner joy. He wants us to believe that He will supply our needs, but we are plagued by the same temptation that caused Eve to want more than she had.

   When we are not content with what we have, we do not enjoy the "secret" that apostle Paul described in (Phil. 4:12 NIV). We have the choice to choose to be content with what we have, and to rejoice, regardless of our circumstances.

   As we think about the tasks that You have arranged for us, may we be determined to give thanks for Your enablement to do them, and to be thankful that You want to make them work for our good and Your glory.

   Father, help us be thankful, and to be encouraged with this challenge, so we can use this key to happiness in our lives! We pray this for Christ's glory. Amen.


856-860 one-line Scriptures for those of you who want to learn some more verses this week- or to review them from when they were first posted- 
 
856- Ps. 67:1 "God be merciful unto us, and bless us; and cause his face to shine upon      us. Selah."
857- Ps. 119:55 "I have remembered thy name, O LORD, in the night, and have kept thy      law."
858- Ps. 119:176 "I have none astray like a lost sheep; seek thy servant; for I do not            forget thy commandments." 
859- Ps. 71:16 "I will go in the strength of the Lord God: I will make mention of thy              righteousness, even of thine only."
860- Ps. 71:9 "Cast me not off in the time of old age; forsake me not when my strength      faileth."


Quotes for today-

Cindy Sproles- "We are gifted long before our births. God knew exactly what He had in store for us and just what He could trust us to accomplish. We’re already a yard’s length ahead of the game. Trust your work to Him and believe that all the ends will be tied up appropriately. You don’t quit – you trust."

~ David Crosby- "God’s timing is precise. The event we celebrate in this season of the year was not an afterthought, happenstance, an accident, or even good fortune. God planned this event before He formed the earth. When God first made people, He knew they would need a Savior. And He had already determined that He would let His Son live among us and give His life for us."


Words of wisdom-

The Gospel of Jesus Christ provides the only satisfaction in the universe for sin and which proposes an adequate remedy.

We win our spiritual battles through forgiveness. We must forgive, as God has forgiven us—we must forgive, and with no limit!

#1 The Power of Personal Prayer Partners

C. Peter Wagner tells us "The reason I am writing this book, (PRAYER SHIELD ), is that I am personally convinced the following statement is true:

The most underutilized source of spiritual power in our churches today is intercession for Christian leaders."


 Upcoming posts:

1/7th- THE MIRACLE OF SALVATHION
   Kimya Loder

14th- LEGO LESSONS
   Dave Brandon

21st- RESTING ON A ROCK
   Diane Derringer

 


The North Country Christian Fellowship Center Churches,

located in the St. Lawrence county of NY,

broadcast their Sunday services at 10 or 10:15

You can view past services too.

Sermon listing:https://www.cfconline.org/sermon-library 





 

No comments:

Post a Comment