Saturday, November 11, 2023

LOVE LIKE THE FATHER


~ Hunter Whittle- For many years, I struggled with feeling loved by God. 

Instead of seeing God as the loving Father He is, I saw Him as angry and condemning, especially when I messed up or sinned. I remember many nights when I lay in my room—exhausted from school, trying to keep up with my prayers and Bible reading, and feeling alone and empty. (of photo courtesy  pixabay.com)

I wanted to talk to God but felt ashamed because I hadn’t read my Bible and I had sinned. I simply could not fathom that God would want anything to do with me.

Because of this, I struggled to have a relationship with God, to love others, and to love myself. But these feelings of loneliness and condemnation changed when God reminded me of His love. His love overcame me and my shame and reminded me of who I am in Christ—a child of God. And having been loved, I can show people the love God shows me.

Ultimately, we love others and God because He loved us first. Even before we put our faith in Him, He showed us love. The greatest example of God’s love for us was when Jesus laid down His life for us on the cross so that our old life of sin and shame could be removed forever. He gives us new life in Christ.

Because God loves us, we should love other people. God is love. All that He does is loving. As His children, we should love as He loved us first. Loving others can look like many different things: being patient, forgiving, and humble.

"We love because he first loved us." (1 John 4:19 NIV)

How has God shown you His love, and how can you show this love to all people?

 (For more devotions, visit Christian Devotions.)


Let's Pray-

     Father, many folks struggle with feeling loved by You. Instead of seeing You as the loving Father You are, they remember the nights they lay exhausted, trying to keep up with their prayers and Bible reading, and feeling alone and empty.

     They wanted to talk with You, but felt ashamed because they hadn't read their Bible and had sinned. They simply could not understand that You would want anything to do with them.

     Because of these feelings, they struggled with loving You, others or even themselves. These feelings of loneliness and condemnation changed when Your love overcame them and their shame, reminding them of who they were in Christ — Your children! We're learning to accept Your Love too, and that Your love will show through us.

    Our prayer for receiving Your Love, is in and through the lovely name of Jesus. Amen!


#10 Testimony- Ann

   “There is a difference between believing in God and understanding the message of the gospel.  I used to think I was a Christian because I chose to believe in God’s existence and I attended a Christian church with my family.  But I eventually realized there is so much more to it. 

   As time went on, I tried to fill this longing in my heart with many wrong things:  popularity, grades, music, a quest for love. But they all fell painfully short.  My discontentment grew along with my list of questions about the meaning of life.  I didn’t know which end was up, and I felt that it was up to me to figure it out on my own.

   In the midst of this struggle, a friend invited me to a Christian music festival in PA.  I was hungry for the truth and eager to learn.  In that atmosphere, surrounded by thousands of true Christians, I heard the gospel message for the first time.  I realized that God had done for me what I could never have done for myself:  

   He put me in a right relationship with Himself by becoming a sacrifice for my sin. When Jesus died on the cross, the debt I owed to God had been paid.  During that festival, sitting under the stars with tears streaming down my cheeks, I surrendered my life to Him.  And I left that festival a changed person. 

   Little by little, God showed me that I can depend on Him for answers to the big questions in life.  As I began to read the Bible, I learned about His character and His ways.  Moreover, I felt the assurance of the Holy Spirit guiding me and I knew that I would never be alone to figure out my life.  A strong sense of peace and assurance filled my heart.


Our Recommended Reading-


Psalm 91 by Peggy Joyce Ruth

  "Nothing in this world can be relied upon as confidently as God's promises when we believe them, refuse to waver, and decide to make His Word our final authority for every area of life. 

   There is, however, a uniqueness about this psalm. Promises of protection can be found throughout the Bible; but Psalm 91 is the only place in the Word where all of the protection promises are brought together in one collection, forming a covenant written through the Holy Spirit. How powerful that is!"

This book has many testimonies which are given for encouragement.


1076-1080 One-line Scriptures for those of you who want to learn some more verses this week- or to review them from when they were first posted- 

 
1076- Ps. 42:8 "Yet the LORD will command his lovingkindness in the daytime, and in the night his song shall be with me."

1077- 2 Tim. 3:12 "Yea, and all that will live godly in Christ Jesus shall suffer persecution."

1078- Ps. 130:4 "But there is forgiveness with thee, that thou mayest be feared."

1079- Ps. 4:7a "Thou hast put gladness in my heart."

1080- 2 Tim. 2:1 "Thou therefore, my son, be strong in the grace that is in Christ Jesus."


#10 Hymn- Just as I Am, Without One Plea




Encouraging words-

 It's for our good to pay close attention to what God's speaking to us of something greater for us to do. He wants us to accept His calling, not give excuses! His plans are to use people to get things done, to receive discernment, wisdom and patience, to do battle for souls to get into the kingdom!  


This month's Hope&Humor web site offers reasons to give thanks, Thanksgiving memes and more!


Upcoming posts:

11/18- WHEN YOU'RE WEARY- Karen Huang

25- GOD HAD OTHER PLANS- Tim Gustafson

12/2- ACCEPTING GUIDANCE- Jennifer Vanson Schult
 


The North Country Christian Fellowship Center Churches,

located in the St. Lawrence county of NY,

broadcast their Sunday services at 10 or 10:15

You can view past services too.

Sermon listing:https://www.cfconline.org/sermon-library 


No comments:

Post a Comment