Saturday, November 18, 2023

WHEN YOU'RE WEARY

 

~ Karen Huang- I sat in the stillness of a workday's end, my laptop in front of me. I should've been exhilarated about the work I'd finished that day, but I wasn't. I was tired. My shoulders ached with the load of anxiety over a problem at work, and my mind was spent from thinking about a troubled relationship.    (Google image- Lady watching TV)

   I wanted to escape from it all—my thoughts wandered to watching TV that night. But I closed my eyes. "Lord," I whispered. I was too tired to say more. All my weariness went into that one word. And somehow, I immediately knew that was where it should go.

   "Come to me," Jesus tells us who are weary and burdened, "and I will give you rest." (Matt. 11:28). Not the rest from a good night's sleep. Not the break from reality that television offers. Not even the relief when a problem has been solved. Although these may be good sources of rest, the respite they offer is short-lived and dependent on our circumstances.

   In contrast, the rest Jesus gives is lasting and guaranteed by His unchanging character. He's always good. He gives us true rest for our souls even amid trouble because we know that everything is in His control.

    We can trust and submit to Him, endure and even thrive in difficult situations because of the strength and restoration only He can give.

   "Come to me," Jesus says. "Come to me." 

Isiah 40:28 "Do you not know? Have you not heard? The LORD is the everlasting God, the Creator of the whol earth. He never becomes faint or weary; there is no limit to his understanding."   (CSB)


Let's Pray-

     Father, when we come to the end of our workday, may we spend time with You, recapping the activities of the day. When our minds think about some troubled relationship and problems, help us center our thoughts on You and Your Word for the restoration we need.      

     Our resting in Jesus gives the lasting guarantee of His unchanging character, which is just what we need! His rest is for our souls, even amid trouble, because we know that everything is in His control.

     As we trust in Christ, we can thrive in difficult situations because His Strength restores us as only He can. We ask for this rest in the Mighty name of Your Son, Jesus. Amen.    

#11 Testimony- Lorraine

"After many years of doubting God's existence, I started going back to church. I heard a sermon on tithing. I've heard tithing sermons before, but this time I decided to test what was being taught.

  My basic income was $200 weekly. Having a mortgage, utilities, and 3 of my 5 children still at home, I put $20 in the offering basket. In a few days I had a call for side work that more than made up for the $20 I'd placed in the offering. I wavered back and forth with tithing, because of my trust issues. But eventually, I started tithing regularly.  For the past 25 years I have always had my needs met, plus more. GOD is Trustworthy!"   (See Malachi 3:10)


Recommended Reading-

SETTING CAPTIVES FREE, By Jake Kail


Dr. Dave Hess- "Setting Captives Free, is one of the most comprehensive books I've ever read concerning the ministry of deliverance. Jake Kail has brought out our vital call to 'cast out demons' into the light
—free from the apprehensons and misunderstandings that have kept us from confronting darkness head-on." (Dr. Dave Hess, Pastor of Christ Community Church, camp Hill, Pennsylvania.)


Managing Your Expectations for Holiday Parenting By Mark and Jill Savage


1081-1085 One-line Scriptures for those of you who want to learn some more verses this week- or to review them from when they were first posted- 

 
1081- Ps. 109:27 "That they may know that this is thy hand; that thou, LORD, hast done it." 
                     
1082- Titus 3:7 "That being justified by his grace, we should be made heirs according to the hope of eternal life." 
                                                 
1083- Ps. 30:12a "To the end that my glory may sing praise to thee, and not be silent."

1084- Rev. 12:11a "And they overcame him by the blood of the Lamb, and by the word of their testimony."

1085- Acts 18:9b "Be not afraid, but speak, and hold not thy peace."


 #11 Hymn-  Pass Me Not, O Gentle Savior


“Pass me not” by Frances J. Crosby, (1868) first appeared in Songs of Devotion for Christian Associations (1870), a collection compiled by William H. Doane (1832-1915). The late hymnologist William J. Reynolds discovered that the inspiration for this hymn was the result of a visit to a prison by the poet during spring 1868.


Upcoming posts:

25th- GOD HAD OTHER PLANS- Tim Gustafson

12/1- ACCEPTING GUIDANCE - Jennifer Venson Schuldt

8th- EXTREME KINDNESS- Arthur Jackson

 

Jean's blog (Click to see snippets of the 7 recent posts)


The North Country Christian Fellowship Center Churches,

located in the St. Lawrence county of NY,

broadcast their Sunday services at 10 or 10:15

You can view past services too.

Sermon listing:https://www.cfconline.org/sermon-library 







No comments:

Post a Comment