Saturday, December 23, 2023

FAITH IN THE PROMISE GIVER


~ Charles H. Spurgeon- (Judges 16:6) "Tell me, I pray thee, wherein thy great strength lieth. . ."

  Where lies the secret strength of faith? It lies in the food it feeds on. Faith studies what the promise is — an emanation of divine grace, and overflowing of the great heart of God; and faith says, "My God could not have given this promise, except from love and grace; therefore it is quite certain His Word will be fulfilled." Google image, The Promise-Giver)

   Then faith thinks, "WHO gave this promise?" It considers not so much its greatness, as, "Who is the author of it?" She remembers that it is God who cannot lie — God omnipotent, God immutable; and therefore concludes that the promise must be fulfilled; and forward she advances in this firm conviction.

   She remembers, WHY the promise was given — namely, for God's glory, and she feels perfectly sure that God's glory is safe, that He will never stain His own escutcheon [honor], nor mar the luster of His own crown; and therefore the promise must and will stand.

   Then faith also considers the amazing work of Christ as being a clear proof of the Father's intention to fulfil His Word. "He who spared not His own Son, but delievered Him up for us all, how shall He not with Him also freely give us all things?" (Rom. 8:32).

   Moreover faith looks back upon the past, for her battles have strengthened her, and her victories have given her courage. She remembers that God never has failed her; nay, that He never did once fail any of His children. She recollects times of great peril, when deliverance came; hours of awful need, when as her day her strength was found, and she cries, "No, I never will be led to think that He can change and leave His servant now. Hitherto the Lord has helped me — and He will help me sitll."

   Thus faith views each promise in its connection with the Promise-giver, and because she does so, can we with assurance say, "Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life!"  Charles H. Spurgeon


Let's pray-

     Father, help us discover where the secret of faith lies, so we can know Your promises of divine grace and overflowing heart of Love has given us this faith. We're certain therefore, that we'll discover Your Word will be fulfilled.

     May we remember why the promises were given, namely for Your glory, so we will feel perfectly sure that Your glory is safe, and that You will never stain Your own honor, or mar the luster of Your crown; therefore, these promises must and will stand. 

     We will connect every promise with You,The Promise-giver, and because we do, we can say that Your Goodness and Mercy will follow us all the days of our lives. 


#16 Testimony- Micaela 


"We don't take enough time to believe how much the Lord knows us, even before we’re  born. Not just know us, but loves us; which we'll never understand this side of eternity. It is the Lord after all. He loves the eight billion of us that live on this planet. He loves us from birth, throughout life and to our death. 

I was born at 3:47 am on December 16th, 1995. I had meconium in my windpipe or trachea. I didn't start breathing until about 15-17 minutes later. It took three different Doctors to try and trache me to get me breathing, so they had to bring the on-call Doctor in. When he came in, he pulled the trachea out, and out with it came the meconium, (first fecal excretion of a newborn).

Minutes before the last doctor came in, my mom said a prayer, "Thy will be done." She tells me this on every birthday! She said, "Soon after that, I heard you screaming." I was rushed right down to Syracuse after responding. The Doctors and Nurses said I made improvements day after day. I was able to go home on Christmas day! The truth is, the Christian I have become today isn’t at all unusual.   

It wasn't just those nine days where the fight stopped. When I was 2 years old I got diagnosed with epilepsy and at 3, I was diagnosed with asthma.The epilepsy was scariest of all, especially at a young age. I don't have much memory due to the amount of medication I was on and the effect the diagnosis had on my brain. The troubling effect it had on me was for my parents, as they almost lost me at the very beginning of my life, and because of other times they thought they were losing me. 

When I went to school, it was difficult for them to have a child that was struggling with a different situation than others. From the epilepsy I struggled with, people had a hard time understanding me. When I was young, I was significantly weaker than my age group.

           Through these days God has granted me patience, even at such a young age. I never got angry if people didn't understand me. It was harder when some people bullied me. From the time I was in elementary school till I graduated, I was bullied. For a short while it was because I was a believer in Christ, but that was toward the end of high school."

  My favorite Bible verse is: Ephesians. 2:8 “For by Grace you have been saved through Faith and this not your own doing; it is the Gift of God.”


Recommended reading:
 
God Guides Your Tomorrows by Roger G. Palms


   "I'm unique. You are too. I'm here now, in this time and place, and you are where you are, and God is not confused by our presence. 
(p. 9)

    "For nearly all of us, the awareness that God is God and has a reason for our existence and has put toghther the package that is called me and likes what he made and wants to develop and fulfill what he has made as a unique and a special individual, has led us to something deeper than personal, social or vocational changes
It has led to a totally new life." (p. 10)



 11
06-1110 One-line Scriptures for those of you who want to learn some more verses this week- or to review them from when they were first posted- 
 
1106-  1 Tim. 4:10a "For therefore we both labour and suffer reproach, because we trust in the living God."

1107- Ps. 20:5a "We will rejoice in thy salvation, and in the name of our God, we will set up our banners."

1108- Ps. 85:8a "I will hear what God the LORD will speak."

1109- Ps. 119:175 "Let my soul live, and it shall praise thee."

1110- Heb. 13:5b "Be content with such thiings as ye have."


#16 Hymn- How Great Thou Art


The following quote about this song, How Great Thou Art, is taken from THEN SINGS MY SOUL By Robert J. Morgan

  "During the 1954 Billy Graham Crusade in Harringay Arena, George Beverly Shea was given a leaflet containing this hymn. He sang it to himself and shared it with other members of the Graham team. Though not used in London, it was introduced the following year to audiences in Toronto.
   In the New Your Crusade of 1957, \it was sung by Bev Shea ninety-nine times with the choir joining the majestic refain: 
 
     Then sings my soul, my Savior God to Thee, 
     How great Thou art! How great Thou art!"  (pg. 213)


 Some encouraging words-

~ The Father knows what He is doing in our lives and does not have to take time to explain it all to us. He leads quietly and efficiently, and puts it together for us in such a way that we're not to arrange or figure it out.

~ "As we prepare for Christmas in our homes and places of worship, are our hearts full of joy and anticipation? Do we see the face of our Good Shepherd as we set up nativities, mail out Christmas cards and notes, and sing hymns of holiday praise?"
Praise at Christmas Susan Paulus


Upcoming posts:

30th- SUSPENDERS- Kevin Spencer

1/6- LIFE IN THE RED LETTERS- Andrea Merrell

13th- AN IMPOSSIBLE GIFT- Kristen Holmberg           

 


The North Country Christian Fellowship Center Churches,

located in the St. Lawrence county of NY,

broadcast their Sunday services at 10 or 10:15

You can view past services too.

Sermon listing:https://www.cfconline.org/sermon-library 



  

No comments:

Post a Comment