Tuesday, December 19, 2023

Suspenders

  

Kevin Spencer- "I've never been a narrow-waisted guy, especially as I got past the first quarter of my life and started toward middle age.

   In fact, my nickname for the last few decades has been "Bear." Because, I suppose, I sort of resemble a bear in my upper body. My being a few inches over six feet and a lot of heavyset roundness has much to do with it, as opposed to an Olympic swimmer's chiseled inverted triangle body. (photo courtesy of pixabay and the author)

   As I grew older, a situation began to arise with my pants. They no longer stayed where they were intended — around my waist. They began to develop a troubling tendency to visit my knees at the most inopportune moments. No matter what belt I wore or how tightly I cinched it, sooner or later I felt my pants slip off my hips and head south.

   I can't begin to tell you how many years (decades) back I started wearing suspenders instead of a belt, but it's been a minute [diminutive]. Suspenders were and are wonderful. For my particularly peculiar body shape, they provide the support I need —not to mention being amazingly more comfortable. And my pants stay where I leave them.

   It didn't take long for my suspenders to become a personal trademark. I have at least twenty different colors and types. I wear them year-round with long pants and shorts, whether they are in style or not. Fashion and I parted ways a long time ago, anyway.

   Unfortunately, life's ups and downs and twists and turns more often resemble my rather rotund bear-type body than that of a chiseled athlete. And as we navigate our roller coaster lives, our faith can often be subjected to more stress than our proverbial belts can handle. It is inevitable that our faith will, at some point, wind up around our knees like a pair of my old pants.

   Fortunately, God has given us suspenders for our faith. Not only has He given us His magnificent Word to lift and support us in times of trouble, but our Father has promised to strengthen us, help us, and uphold us with His righteous right hand. Wow!

   Is your belief down around your knees? Has your faith fallen? Open your Bible and find some suspenders. I promise they are in there. And if you need to, simply reach up. You'll discover God already reaching down.

  
"So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand."

Isaiah 41:10 (NIV)

 Does your faith need suspenders?

Suspenders  

By Kevin Spencer-

 (For more devotions, visit Christian Devotions.)


Let's pray-

     Father, suspenders are wonderful for some peculiar body shapes, providing the support needed, and ease of mind throughout the day. They can become the personal trademark, whether or not they are in fashion, in style, or not.  

     As it turns out, we have ups and downs, twists and turns that resembled our troublesome physical adventures. We learn to navigate our roller-coaster lives, strengthening our faith through the periods of handling the stresses that come.

     When our belief in You has fallen down, let's get down on our knees, open our Bibles, and find some "suspenders" in there to bouy up our faith. Our simple reaching up toYou will strengthen us, as You are always reaching down to help us!

   
 In the name and power of the Lord Jesus, we pray for Your help! Amen


#17 Testimony- Steve

    “There has been a wonderful sense of God’s presence in our church services and recent funerals! I have felt prayers enfolding us and bringing God’s manifest presence each time we gather together! Praise God from Whom all blessings flow!”

~ Pastor Steve reported that over 120 attended the Christmas Eve service!


1111-1115 One-line Scriptures for those of you who want to learn some more verses this week- or to review them from when they were first posted- 
 
1111- Pro. 29:6b "The righteous doth sing and rejoice."

1112- Eph. 1:18a "The eyes of your understanding being enlightened

1113- Pro. 29:15a "The rod and reproof give wisdom."

1114- Pro. 28:1b "The righeous are bold as a lion."

1115- Ecc. 8:12b "I know that it shall be well with them that fear God."




Recommended Reading: 


"The means of redemption is the blood of Christ." (p. 182)

 The means of sanctification is the Word of God. (p. 184)

 Christ is working again in His church, birnging redemption and deliverance. (p. 187)

Holy awe will come over God's people at the revelation of His power and glory." (p. 188)





#17 Hymn- God Will Take Care of You, (Be Not Dismayed)


~ Martin, Civilla Durfee- (Jordan Falls, Nova Scotia, August 21, 1866March 9, 1948, Atlanta, Georgia).  “God will take care of you" was written on a Sunday afternoon while my husband went to a preaching appointment. When he returned, I gave the words to him. He immediately sat down to his little Bilhorn organ and wrote the music."


 Some encouraging words-

- God's way of salvation is the same for all people, whether Jews or Gentiles. "Everyone who calls on the name of the Lord will be saved" (See Romans 10:8-10).


Upcoming posts:

1/6- LIFE IN THE RED LETTERS- Andrea Merrell

13th- AN IMPOSSIBLE GIFT- Kristen Holmberg

20th- OPEN THE EYES OF MY HEART- OXCHITL  Dixon
 

The North Country Christian Fellowship Center Churches,

located in the St. Lawrence county of NY,

broadcast their Sunday services at 10 or 10:15

You can view past services too.

Sermon listing:https://www.cfconline.org/sermon-library 



No comments:

Post a Comment