Saturday, January 27, 2024

DON'T PANIC!

 



~ Jane Ault- Let’s be honest. Aging is difficult. It means the loss of someone (a friend or a family member) or the loss of something (job, mobility, eyesight, hearing, memory), and I’d like to avoid it. Wouldn’t you? We can’t. No matter how much make-up we wear, we can’t erase the wrinkles. No matter how much we pretend, we can’t disguise the truth. Aging happens. To everyone. Don’t despair! (Google image, Older couple)

In the Book of Psalms, we find many positive statements about aging. One of my favorites is this one. Psalm 92: 2-15 (NIV)


12- “The righteous will flourish like a palm tree,

         they will grow like a cedar of Lebanon;

13-   planted in the house of the LORD,

        they will flourish in the courts of our God.

14-  They will still bear fruit in old age,

        they will stay fresh and green,

15-  proclaiming, “The LORD is upright;

        he is my Rock, and there is no wickedness in him.”

 

How can we flourish as we age? We pursue righteousness. We remain in the “house of the LORD." That involves staying attached to others in the Body of Christ, where we receive encouragement, gentle correction, and accepting love. We remember and rely on Jesus, who is our Rock.


I received Jesus when I was a child. Throughout the decades of my life, the Holy Spirit has been growing me to become more like my Lord. He’s been my Rock in tough times of illness, disappointment, and loss. He often awakens me with a song or a poem. As I remain connected to him, I continue to flourish. You can, too.

The Spirit may not give you a poem or a song. It could be a word of encouragement, a gift of helping, or perhaps even a gift of receiving help and showing gratitude. Most importantly, you can pray.


Let's pray-

      Father, aging is difficult. It means the loss of someone (a friend or a family member) or the loss of something (job, mobility, eyesight, hearing, memory), and we'd like to avoid it. But we can't, no matter how much we try. You tell us not to dispair, as there's hope in and through You! (Check out Psalm 92:2-15 (NIV).

The question remains then, how can we flourish in our old age? The answer is to pursue You righteousness, found in Christ Jesus. Our gathering with others in the Body of Christ to receive encouragement, gentle correction and accepting love from others, will enable us to stay secure in Jesus, Who is our Rock.

When we receive Jesus, and grow to be more like Him, He will bring us through our tough times of illness, disappointments and loss. He may speak to us in the night time with songs of praise to encourage our faith, or lead us to get up and pray!

Father, we admit that we need Your help to make life all that You intended for each of us. We look to You for empowerment to fulfill our potential, and ask this in the name of Jesus. Amen. 


#21 Testimony- Clarissa
    

"Well, my testimony of the day, is God’s helping me test my blood sugar 4 times today. 


   Ever since I was a child I've always become lightheaded and woozy with needles. I've even passed out before at the sight of needles. My doctor wanted me to test my blood sugar to see if I had gestational diabetes. It's something they typically do at a certain point during a pregnancy. 


   I thought I was going to need my mother to come over multiple times during the day to help me with the process. Last night I was starting to worry about being able to test myself with the lancets and I finally just prayed to God that He would give me peace over the situation and that I'd be able to sleep peacefully without worry. 


   This morning I woke up feeling at peace, but I was still nervous about seeing the needles when assembling the device to pick my finger. This morning I was able to get the lancets (needles) in the device and God gave me the ability to push the button to pick my finger. I never felt woozy and was able to repeat the process on my own three more times throughout my day. 


   I wouldn't have been capable of doing this without God’s help and peace. I was amazed at how smoothly I was able to do it with His strength!"


"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me!" Philippians 4:13




Recommended Reading-








"The Starting Point of a New Journey."
Facing Loneliness is an honest attempt to provide some real-life answers to one of the most common and most crippling problems of our century. In this book the author provides both biblical and practical guidelines for managing lineliness.



1131-1135 One-line Scriptures for those of you who want to learn some more verses this week- or to review them from when they were first posted- 
 
1131- 1 Tim. 6:12a "Fight the good fight of faith."

   1132- Col. 3:13a "Forbearing one another, and forgiving one another."

   1133- Ps. 108:7a God hath spoken in his holiness."

   1134- Eph. 4:5a "One Lord, one faith, one baptism."

   1135- Ps. 109:1 "Hold not thy peace, O God of my praise."


 #21 Hymn- Amazing Grace! How Sweet the Sound


The information of the following hynn, Amazing Grace! How Sweet the Sound, was taken from  THEN SINGS MY SOUL, a book by Robert J. Morgan

~ John Newton saw slow, halting spiritual growth from his cry to the Lord to deliver him out of deep waters, (literally), on March 9, 1748. He became one of the most powerful evangelical preachers in british history, a powerful foe of slavery, and the author of hundreds of hymns.  (Taken from pg. 79)


 Some encouraging words-

~ "If we learn to slow down, stop, and enjoy the simple things—the things that cost nothing and take us closer to God, nourishing our souls—life will take on new meaning. We’ll wonder why we ever wanted to live any other way." 
Martin Wiles


Upcoming posts:

2/3rd- FINDING LIFE- Dave Brandon

10th- REBOOT OF GRACE- Adam R. Holz

17th-  WHO AM I?- Bill Crowder
 

The North Country Christian Fellowship Center Churches,

located in the St. Lawrence county of NY,

broadcast their Sunday services at 10 or 10:15

You can view past services too.

Sermon listing:https://www.cfconline.org/sermon-library 




No comments:

Post a Comment