Thursday, December 29, 2011

Hope for Tomorrow




   Mary Southerland shares with us, 
" A cloud of terror hung over the Valley 
of Elah as snarling threats and vile promises 
spewed from his mouth. 

The intimidator strutted along grassy slopes 
swinging an enormous club, his mammoth, 
ironclad feet pawing the ground like an irate bull, 
ready to attack. 

The huge, ugly monster was Goliath, a nine foot
giant, the pride of Philistia. 

He wore massive armor; a bronze coat weighing 200 pounds, a 
solid iron spear, a heavy bronze helmet. 

The target of his ranting and raving was a frightened, helpless 
group of Israelites, cowering in their tents.

For forty agonizing days, Goliath had come, taunting them, 
promising certain destruction and doom. 

The Israelites, paralyzed with fear, had given up all hope of 
escape, resigned to their tortured fate at the hand of this 
Philistine monster.

              Then came day forty-one! 

I am certain, as the sun inched its way over the mountains 
that morning, that neither Goliath nor the Israelites had any 
idea that this day would be different. 

A young handsome teenager stepped into the valley of fear, 
fresh from the presence of God. 

David, the youngest in a family of eight boys could not believe 
the scene before him. Tossing the giant’s threats and obvious 
advantage aside, David refused to accept what he saw. 

Instead, he chose to believe what he knew in his heart; this giant
was going down. 

With simple but certain faith and unreserved confidence in God,
 David stepped through the fear, ushering in the mighty presence 
and power of God. 

Goliath not only met David that day, He met the Lord of Heaven
and earth. 

And the giant fell! Giants always fall in the presence of God.

We stand on the threshold of a new year – a new beginning! 

If you are like me, you face 2012 with mixed emotions. 

Personally, I am thrilled that I survived 2011! 

There were certainly moments when I wondered if I would. 

I am so excited about a fresh start, a brand new set of days
overflowing with new dreams and unmarked possibilities, but
I also know this year is crammed full of the unknown as well 
as a giant or two. 

If I am brutally honest, I have to admit the unknown fashions 
a pocket of fear in my heart where questions and doubts thrive.

              The good news is what lies ahead is no surprise to God. 

In fact, He has already been where we are going. 

That reason alone empowers us to face every tomorrow with 
hope, knowing whatever touches us passes through His hands, 
with His permission. 

It is not God’s plan for us to dwell in fear or for fear to rule our 
lives.  

He has already set in motion the defeat and fall of every giant 
we will ever face.  

Our responsibility is to step through our fear, facing every giant 
in God’s power and with His promises. 

The Holy Spirit will guide the path of His truth to its destined 
mark, taking down the giants lurking in each tomorrow.

              He is the same yesterday, today and forever! 

The days ahead are saturated with the memory of Goliath’s fall 
and trust in Almighty God, the Giant Killer. So then, (my)friend, 
I ask you, what is there to fear? Happy New Year!

Let’s Pray

              Father, I come to You by faith, laying every fear and 
worry at Your feet. I am not sure what this year holds for me but 
I do know You are with me every step of the way. When I am 
tempted to worry, please remind me to trust You. When fear 
attacks, I choose to pray instead of panic, knowing You are my 
Lord and my Shepherd. I praise You for Your faithfulness in my 
life, even when I don’t understand and can’t see the next step. 
I praise You, Lord.

              In Jesus’ name,
              Amen.”


“God did not give us a spirit that makes us afraid but a spirit of
 power and love and self-control”  2 Timothy 1:7).

“Though an army should encamp against me, My heart shall not
 fear; Though war should rise against me, In this I will be confident…
For in the time of trouble He shall hide me in His pavilion; In the 
secret place of His tabernacle He shall hide me; He shall set me 
high upon a rock.”  Ps. 27:3, 5 NKJV

“Therefore I say to you, whatever things you ask when you pray, 
believe that you receive them, and you will have them.”  
 Mark 11:24 NKJV

by  Mary Southerland on Crosswalk.com 12/29/11
“Friend to Friend"

No comments:

Post a Comment