Sunday, January 22, 2012

Hang On!






              Sharon Jaynes shares with us, "Have you ever felt that this thing called life is just too hard? 

              I know I have.  Sometimes life just does not turn out like I thought it would. 

              That’s when I have to hang onto God and simply trust Him.


              I remember when my son was four-years-old and I was trying to teach him how to snow ski.  

              The first day was just horrible…at least it was for me.  I felt like a down-covered workhorse as I lugged two sets of skis in one arm while dragging along Steven with the other. 

              Clunky ski boots, overstuffed mittens, and a hooded snowsuit made it difficult for Steven to maneuver. Add all that to the slippery snow, and we had the perfect formula for a day of whining in winter wonderland.


              I tried to teach Steven how to snow plow to keep from going too fast.  That’s when you point the tips of the skis toward the center and the backs of the skis point out.  

              Well, he just wasn’t catching on.  He fell and he fell and he fell.


              Finally, I came up with another idea.  I made an A-frame tent with my legs, Steven stood in front of me, and wrapped his arms around my thighs.  Off we went. 

             We moved as one.  If I turned left, he went with me.  If I turned right, he went with me.  

                   His only responsibility was to hang on and relinquish control.  And even though he thought he was skiing, in reality, I was the one skiing and he was simply along for the ride.

              That is a great picture of what trusting God is all about.  That’s a picture of what ‘abiding in Jesus’ is all about.  We cling to him, hang on to Him, abide in Him.  If He goes left, I go left.  If He goes right, I go right.  

              David wrote in Psalm 63:8, ‘My soul clings to You.’ In other words, David was saying, ‘I’m hanging on for dear life’ Just like Steven did.


              Today, as you move through life, cling to Jesus.  Hang on to Him.  Acknowledge His presence with you and His Spirit in you. Trust Him!


Let’s Pray: Jesus, I’m trusting You today. I’m clinging to You. I’m hanging on Your every word.  In Your Name, Amen.”


“My soul clings to you; your right hand upholds me.” Psalm 63:8 NIV


By Sharon Jaynes on Crosswalk.com  for 12/12/11
                                                                  
“Therefore strengthen the hands which hang down, and the feeble knees, and make straight paths for your feet, so that what is lame may not be dislocated, but rather be healed.”  Hebrews 12:12, 13


“I Leave you peace; my peace I give you. I do not give it to you as the world does. So don’t let your hearts be troubled or afraid.  John 14:27 NCV


“So do not lose the courage you had in the past, which has a great reward. You must hold on, so you can do what God wants and receive what he has promised.  Heb. 10:35-36 NCV



Hold Fast Till I Come
Rejoicing in Hope, believing His word,
We look for the coming of Jesus our Lord;
But till He return thru heaven’s blue dome,
He bids His disciples, “Hold fast till I come.”
“Hold fast till I come,” hear the word of the Master;
The omens increase, and the signs thicken faster;
“Until I restore your lost Eden home,
Give heed to the message, Hold fast till I come.”

By Thoro Harris   1914

Tomorrow’s post: A Focus on Fairness  Our Daily Bread


No comments:

Post a Comment