Saturday, January 21, 2012

The Me That You See is NOT What Will Be!


From Lift the Cross of Jesus! by Hope Flinchbaugh  (1/21/12)

“A few of you were at the Montrose Christian Writers Conference when I quoted this poem that I wrote last summer.  We laughed SO hard!  I wrote this with all humor and never read it to anyone except my mother (who loves me even in my carnal state) until that day in July in Montrose.  If you're feeling a tad grumpy, a little irritated at "the man in the mirror" hang on.

This face that you see
Is not what will be
I’m destined for heaven
And eternity

His glory will shine
All my wrinkles away
Clear skin like that model
On Oil of Olay!

These teeth that you see
Are not what will be
I’m destined for heaven,
Not one cavity!

 My teeth won’t need whitened,
Filled, or replaced.
That’s how I’ll be smiling
When I see His face!

This body you see
Is not what will be
I’m destined for heaven
No fat rolls on me!

St. Peter’s not standing
With scales at the gate.
Or writing down fat grams
Of all that I ate.

No one will complain,
“My nose is too big!”
Or want hair replacement,
Extender, or wig.

My face will be glowing!
Redeemed!  Without sin!
I won’t need to shop
For the robe that I'm in.

So why do I pick up
These cares on the earth?
And let them determine
My value and worth?

My makeup, my hairdo
My modern attire
Like everything else will
Be tried in the fire.


By now I should know that
There’s going to be trouble
If all of my works here are
Wood, hay, and stubble.

Money and beauty?
My face on TV?
Up on the stage
For people to see?

DOWN with the idols
And self-adoration
I will not be swayed
By the sins of my nation.

And so I’ve determined
To live my life’s story
And go for the gold,
That crown of God’s glory.

 I’ll (write) live for the cross,
The Christ, and the Bible,
And shake myself loose
From American Idol.

The “me” that you see
Is not what will be
I’m destined for glory
Because of that tree.

My body perfected,
My face full of light,
Dressed in His glory,
Oh, wonderful sight!

O heart, dark and fearful
Consider that tree,
Its message its power
But don’t look at me!

For I shall be changed
When my soul leaves this earth
To join heaven’s family,
A glorious re-birth.

O, Look to the cross!
See your sins nailed up there.
Deprived of their power,
Deprived of their snare.

There you are pardoned,
Your sins thrown away.
Your enemies vanquished,
Disarmed, and dismayed!

My Lord, in his triumph,
His blood, and His name
Finished my faith
Despising the shame.

Enduring the cross
For sinners like me,
Surrounded by mockers
And hostility.

The voice of the wicked
Cried out for His pain,
Refused to be quiet
Until He was slain.

And when others scatter
Or hide in their fear
I pray now for courage
To ever stay near

The cross, for its power
Forever will be
Messiah who suffered
Obediently.

Jesus, my Savior,
My love and my friend,
I pledge my allegiance
To You to the end.

Though wars rage about me
Wherever I am
I will overcome
By the blood of the Lamb

And my testimony
Forever will be
That I am for Jesus
And HE is for ME.


Lift the Cross of Jesus! | January 7, 2012 at 8:48 AM | Tags: fat rolls; clear skin; cross; scales;hairdo; teeth whitened; beauty;glory; | Categories: The Cross and the Christian | URL: http://wp.me/p1Kveb-5v

(Hope gives her permission to use this poem, but asks that you not edit it)

“For the message of the cross is foolishness to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God.”  1 Cor. 1:18 NKJV

jowildflowers@gmail.com   jean-oathout.blogspot.com   Tomorrow’s post: Hang On! by Sharon Jaynes on Crosswalk.com


No comments:

Post a Comment