Saturday, January 28, 2012

Where the Battle's Lost and Won

“If thou wilt return, O Israel, saith the Lord…”  (Jer. 4:1)

The following is taken from Devotions for MORNING and EVENING with OSWALD CHAMBERS:

     “The battle is lost or won in the secret places of the will before God, never first in the external world. The Spirit of God apprehends me and I am obliged to get alone with God and fight the battle out before Him. Until this is done, I lose every time. The battle may take one minute or a year, that will depend on me, not on God; but it must be wrestled out alone before God, and I must resolutely go through the hell of a renunciation before God. Nothing has any power over the man who has fought out the battle before God and won there.

     If I say, ‘I will wait till I get into the circumstances and then put God to the test,’ I shall find I cannot. I must get the thing settled between myself and God in the secret places of my soul where no stranger intermeddles, and then I can go forth with the certainty that the battle is won. Lose it there, and calamity and disaster and upset are as sure as God’s decree. The reason the Battle is not won is because I try to win it in the external world first. Get alone with God, fight it out before Him, and settle the matter there once and for all.

     In dealing with other people, the line to take is to push them to an issue of will. That is the way abandonment begins. Every now and again, not often, but sometimes, God brings us to a point of climax. That is the way abandonment begins. Every now and again, not often, but sometimes, God brings us to a point of climax. That is the Great Divide in the life; from that point we either go towards a more and more dilatory and useless type of Christian life, or we become more and more ablaze for the glory of God---My utmost for His Highest.” (pg 746)

“Give ear to my words, O LORD, Consider my meditation. Give heed to the voice of my cry, my King and my God, for to You I will pray. My voice You shall hear in the morning, O LORD; In the morning I will direct it to You, and I will look up.”  Ps. 5:1-3 NKJV
“God never built a Christian strong enough to carry today’s duties and tomorrow’s anxieties piled on the top of them.”
—Theodore L. Cuyler

The following is by Dr. Charles Stanley on Crosswalk.com   1/ 11/12    Read Matthew 9:11-13

Godliness:
 “There is a common misconception that believers should be perfect. Pretending to have our lives in order, many of us wear happy faces and speak words that sound acceptable. At times we’re ashamed to admit our shortcomings, as if they should not exist. Salvation through Jesus, however, doesn’t change the fact that sin is present in our life. When we’re born again, God forgives us and sees us as righteous. Yet our battle with sin continues till we arrive in heaven.

              In fact, striving for perfection actually can be a trap that pulls us away from living a godly life. Functioning in this way is a form of relying on our own capability. Jesus said that He came to heal the spiritually sick because they recognized their weakness. With an awareness of our inadequacy comes the realization of our need for Him.

              The world sees successful individuals as powerful and self-sufficient, but Jesus didn’t care about these qualities. Instead, He wants people to be aware of their own brokenness. This is the foundation for godliness. We should accept our neediness and seek God passionately. Doing so allows the following attributes to develop: a hunger for God’s Word, faithful service, deepening trust, and decision-making based upon principle rather than preference. Patiently and mercifully, God matures us.

              Be careful not to cover up your sins in order to look like a 'good Christian.' Without recognition and confession of our sinfulness, we are unable to rely fully on God. It is only with this awareness that we can passionately seek Him, obey in His strength, and confess with repentance when we miss the mark.”

For more biblical teaching and resources from Dr. Charles Stanley, please visit www.intouch.org

Used with permission from In Touch Ministries, Inc. © 2009 All Rights Reserved.

jowildflowers@gmail.com   jean-oathout.blogspot.com  Tomorrow’s post: Measuring Up by Gwen Smith

No comments:

Post a Comment