Wednesday, May 2, 2012

GETTING FOCUSED ON THE TEACHING


"May I ask why you sent for me?’ Cornelius answered: ‘Four days ago I was in my house praying at this hour, at three in the afternoon. Suddenly a man in shining clothes stood before me and said, ‘Cornelius, God has heard your prayer and remembered your gifts to the poor. Send to Joppa for Simon who is called Peter. He is a guest in the home of Simon the tanner, who lives by the sea.’ So I sent for you immediately, and it was good of you to come. Now we are all here in the presence of God to listen to everything the Lord has commanded you to tell us.’ "   (Acts 10:29b-33)


“Peter opens with a really good question: ‘May I ask why you sent for me?’  Sometimes people forget why they come to church. Is it out of habit? Is it to see friends or make your wife happy? It helps every once in a while to stop for a minute and ask yourself that question ‘Why am I sitting here today? What do I hope to gain? What were the life events that led to me being here?’ In our passage today, Peter asks Cornelius, May I ask why you sent for me?” Cornelius stopped for a minute, and thought about why he was there -- he recounted to everyone present the events that led to Peter's arrival. As a result he made this statement: ‘Now we are all here in the presence of God to listen to everything the Lord has commanded you to tell us.’


How different would the Sunday morning sermon be for you if you began with this thought in mind – ‘I am in church today in the presence of God to listen to everything the Lord has commanded Pastor____ to tell me.’ Too often we listen passively -- we even have difficulty remembering on Monday what was preached about on Sunday -- so what chance do we have to apply any of the teaching. We have a tendency to look at God's Word spoken through our pastor as simply ‘feel good’ advice for the moment -- rather than God speaking directly to us.


Can you remember what was preached about this past Sunday morning? Did you take notes? Did you review your notes? Maybe it's time we paid closer attention to what God has commanded our pastor to tell us. Think about the sermon now—what one thing sticks out in your mind? Could this be your personal message, your personal instructions from God for today, for this week? Make every effort to apply one thing you heard from our pastor this past Sunday?”


 Pocket Devotions   www.ptl.org    (on 2/28/12)



O, for a Faith That Will Not Shrink


O, for a faith that will not shrink,
Tho’ pressed by every foe,
That will not tremble on the brink
Of any earthly woe!


That will not murmur nor complain,
Beneath the chastening rod,
But, in the hour of grief or pain,
Will lean upon its God.


A faith that shines more bright and clear
When tempests rage without;
That when in danger knows no fear,
In darkness feels no doubt.


Lord, give us such a faith as this,
And then, whate’er may come,
We’ll taste, e’en here, the hallowed bliss
Of an eternal home.”

By William H. Bathurst and John B. Dykes


     "Show me Your ways, O LORD; Teach me Your paths. Lead me in Your truth and teach me, for You are the God of my salvation; On You I wait all the day.”  (Ps. 25:4, 5, NKJV) 


     “We plan the way we want to live, but only GOD makes us able to live it.”  (Prov. 16:9, MSG)


Our Daily Bread

“We’re thankful for the blessings, Lord,
You give us day by day;
Now help us show our gratitude
By walking in Your way. —Sper   (11/27/11)

The poorest man is he whose only wealth is money."


Tonight’s  post:  UNDER THE JUNIPER TREE


jowildflowers@gmail.com   jean-oathout.blogspot.com Tomorrow’s post:


KAIROS, A TIME TO PAGA: Prayer Note # 36 Dutch Sheets

No comments:

Post a Comment