Thursday, May 10, 2012

A Happening by Chance: Prayer Note # 38

       
Dutch Sheets and his wife, Ceci, were on the last day of their three-day vacation in a tourist hot spot.

      He had been watching boats pull individuals from off the beach, up into the air and across the beautiful waters.


      These airborne sailors would soar effortlessly for 5 to 10 minutes, enjoying their freedom from the bonds of earth, and then be swung back unto the beach.


          For two days he watched this. He was curious, but not that curious. "We men have a constant need to impress the ladies in our lives, demonstrating our fearlessness and ability to rise to any challenge.

          ‘Wow, that looks pretty awesome,’ my wife said. ‘Aw, it doesn’t look that difficult,’ I replied in my best matter-of-fact ‘any guy could do it’ voice." When his wife suggested he go, he wasn’t too excited about it, but agreed to do it.


          “I was the first of the day to take off. It was fairly routine and within seconds I was 200 feet high, enjoying a bird’s eye view of the beach…Suddenly, I had the strange sensation the water was getting closer.

           A second later I knew it was getting closer. Another second and I lighted upon the water with a great splash. This is impossible, I thought. This is a dream. A BAD dream.


          Remembering that I had never tasted salt water in a dream, it didn’t take me long to realize that it wasn’t a dream at all and that it was very possible. I swam to the boat, which had experienced engine failure, and climbed aboard. Now I was totally cool—wet and cool!


          I can hear the wheels of your mind turning. You are wondering what part of this story could possibly have anything to do with intercession, except for a couple of fleeting seconds when I was in SERIOUS prayer.

         Actually, another of our definitions of paga is used, which is ‘to light upon.’ The concept, of course, is landing on or coming to a certain place, and the inference is that it is happening by chance.


         We might, therefore, use the phrase ‘chance upon’ or ‘happen upon.”


Prayer Note # 38 A Happening by Chance - Taken from Dutch Sheets’ book, Intercessory Prayer  (pgs. 93-95) 

          “Before destruction the heart of a man is haughty, and before honor is humility.”  Prov. 18:12, (NKJV)


Next Prayer Note: May 15th OUR HELPER

Tonight's post: "DO YOU BELIEVE GOD SEES YOUR NEED?" 


Tomorrow’s post: SOME INTERESTING QUOTES


No comments:

Post a Comment