Tuesday, May 29, 2012

TRAVAIL, WHAT IS IT? - Prayer Note # 43


Dutch Sheets shares with us, “Travail, what was it anyway? What did it do?
    I knew what I thought it was, but I wasn’t satisfied.
   Is it a valid form of prayer? I wondered. Is there really a prayer that births?
            Yes, I now believe, although it is not easy to define and explain. And it is controversial.
            How can a mere human have a part in birthing spiritual 
life? What do groaning, weeping and hard work have to do with it?” 
            [Sheets had assisted his wife in the birthing of his two daughters and was amazed at her ability to handle the whole situation.]
            One segment of the Body of Christ probably believes they already have an adequate understanding of what it is. 
            Another has likely heard enough to think they don’t want 
to know any more about it. And there’s probably a group who
 have heard nothing about it.
           (Sheets then appeals to all three to read on with an open mind.)
            This prayer called travail always puzzled me. I was raised 
in a stream of the body of Christ that believed in it, although it didn’t occur often. 
            The few times I did see what I was informed was travailing intercession, it involved a little old lady who was also one of the few prayer warriors in the church. 
            It seemed to me that it was treated as a sort of mystical thing no one really understood (such as where babies came from), very few ever did (and those only rarely), but everyone revered.”

   Prayer Note # 43 - TRAVAIL, WHAT IS IT? Taken from Dutch Sheets’ book, Intercessory Prayer  ($1.99) (pgs. 110-111) (5/29/12)

            “Likewise the Spirit also helps in our weaknesses. For we do not know what we should pray for as we ought, but the Spirit Himself makes intercession for us with groanings which cannot be uttered.”  Rom. 8:22, (NKJV)


Next Prayer Note: May 31st  It Happened to Me" Prayer Note #44  Dutch Sheets tells us, "It actually 
happened to me once, although I didn't make the kind of noise I'd heard others make. 

   (Those I had heard sounded a lot like my wife when she was in labor.) I was probably 9 or 10 years old and it occurred while praying for an unsaved aunt.
   One night as I lay in bed, I felt a strong burden to pray for her salvation."



Tonight’s post:  Praying for Pastors

Tomorrow’s post: The Beatitudes of Anger Management Part 2



No comments:

Post a Comment