Tuesday, June 12, 2012

LEADING WOMEN IN PRAYER RETREATS




Cynthia Hyle Bezek"Six years ago, I found myself in the interesting situation of leading a group for widows. I am not a widow. About all I had in common with these women was that I was a woman!

Nevertheless, the eight ladies who joined were thrilled to have a group created just for them. they ranged in age from 30 to 70 years old. I quickly became their emotional support and daily sounding board. The problem was that I did not have the resources or the experience to meet their considerable needs. I didn't have a clue about how to help them, and I was on my way to being completely overwhelmed.

Around that time, I took one of my monthly retreats for three days of prayer and fasting. I definitely needed to be refreshed! It was during this time that the Lord gave me a solution for the widows.

He said, Susan, you can't fix these women. But I can. You need to bring them to Me. Why don't you invite them up here each month when you come? Teach them how to seek Me, how to know Me personally, and how to hear what I have to say to them. Then they can build a trust in Me only. Their whole prayer life will change, and the pressure won't be on you. A light went on inside me as I listened to Him, and I felt a huge weight being lifted off of me.

Connecting with God

The next month, I invited the women to come with me to pray and fast. Not all of them came. But those who did began the transformation process almost immediately. I encouraged them to spend time alone with the Lord. They could rest, read, walk, or just sit before the Lord. I asked them to write down anything they sensed from God during that time. Then we would get together in the evenings to share.

     Tears of joy flowed as we saw how God was working in each woman. One woman said she had not heard from the Lord since her husband died years before. Another woman said God told her she would find joy in working as a hairdresser to support her young children. Another said she felt His comfort, and He had set her free from a deep grief that had lasted for 35 years. All the women said they saw God in a new light. They saw how much He loved them and that He still had a plan for their lives.

     After about four months, the group dissolved. The need was no longer there, because they had found Jesus in a personal way and were walking hand in hand with Him. Our friendships continue, but they are not based on the original intention for the group. And I can say with confidence that all of the women who went on that prayer retreat are staying connected with God. Some have remarried, others have not; but all are enjoying the fruit of transformation that comes from spending time away with the Lord.

Now when I encounter people with big needs, I confidently tell them that I have no clue how to help them, but I know Someone who does. God once told me that I'm like the tow truck and He's the mechanic. I just tow the broken people to Him. He's the one who does the fixing. (Skinner, Susan, "Bring Them to Me," Pray! Magazine  Jan/Feb).

This script was taken from "COME AWAY WITH ME", by Cynthia Hyle Bezek  (pgs 71-73)

Used by permission from Pray Magazine  www.NavPress.com

Today’s 5th truth: If you are “born again”, you are justified.  (Romans 5:1)



No comments:

Post a Comment