Friday, June 15, 2012

SAFE! *

…You alone, O Lord, will keep me safe. Psalm 4:8



Are you safe?


“Safe!” Our eight-year-old grandson loves baseball. Gary takes every opportunity to run bases and slide in.


“I know I don’t have to,” said Gary, “But I want to.” I can almost hear an umpire yell, “Safe,” and the crowd cheer. I suspect he does too.


"Sue Ann also practiced being 'safe.' When diagnosed with cancer, she said, 'I’m careful. I eat right, exercise, don’t smoke, or drink.' With head bowed she cried, 'How did this happen? It’s not fair.'


In baseball and life, we forget everything is not up to us. 'I’ll never feel safe again,' Sue Ann said. She just couldn’t believe there were bases of safety she could not run or slide into for herself.


We talked for hours one night, prayed for understanding, and searched scripture. We found many wonderful answers in the Bible, including Jesus Christ, Savior of those who come to Him. Her heart softened and when we read the Psalmist’s words, “You alone, O Lord, will keep me safe,” she sighed, relaxed back in her chair and said, 'Jesus Christ is my safety.' She prayed, 'Thank you, Father.' And sweet peace came.


Sue Ann reads her Bible daily now. Confident again, but not merely about continuing her healthy lifestyle, she often shares, 'I have cancer, but I am safe. Jesus Christ is my refuge and my strength.'
Healthy living is good stewardship of our bodies, but does not exempt us from living in this fallen world. No matter how hard we try, some of us hear the dreaded diagnosis.


Does it seem your healthy self-care failed? Don’t despair of doing your best. Just remember . . . you don’t have to run alone, slide in every time, or be your own refuge. Jesus already made it home. Run the bases, relying on him. You will hear, 'Safe,' and heaven’s crowd cheer.


“Safe!” – Venita McCart



Venita McCart, founder of Faith Force Cancer Support Ministries has, with her group, ministered to hundreds of patients since 2005 through group meetings, personal contacts, writing, and speaking. A cancer survivor herself, Venita is currently working on materials to comfort and encourage cancer patients and their loved ones, and to help others create support ministries for the same. She and her husband live in central Illinois. Venita may be reached at venitamccart@yahoo.com .
Read Venita’s devotions.


Posted on by  Used by permission www.christiandevotions.us
 
 
 
You may contact me at:  jowildflowers@gmail.com    
Jean’s devotional book:  http://www.amazon.com/So-You-Plan-Marry-Man/dp/0984765530/
Today’s 8th truth: if you are “born again”, you are a partaker of His Divine Nature  (11 Peter 1:4)

Tonight's post:  TRAGEDY OR TRIUMPH

Tomorrow's post:  SPONGE THIOLOGY
http://www.jean-oathout.blogspot.com

No comments:

Post a Comment