Tuesday, June 26, 2012

WHEN JESUS SAYS "COME"


Going home

Phyllis Qualls Freeman shares with us, "Something was different. 

Whenever I visited Mom in the nursing home, her eyes usually opened wider and her smile broadened. 

But this day, her body slumped in the mauve recliner near the nurses’ station. 

I saw only a weak smile, her breathing labored.

The evening nurse checked Mom’s vitals. Mom stopped breathing twice when they attempted to lay her down. 

An RN was sure Mom would be gone within forty-eight hours. That evening she became non-responsive. She was severely dehydrated. 

I asked the nurse if certain suggestions they made would prolong Mom’s death, and she said 'Yes.' 

I remembered my pastor had said, 'We used to allow a patient to die naturally.' I chose that.

The second night, Bev and I slept in recliners near Mom’s bed. About 2:00 a.m. Mom was restless.

At 3:00 a.m. Bev recognized the signs of death creeping up Mom’s body. 

I knelt on a pillow beside her bed and prayed so she could hear me. Then I spoke. 

'Mom, our pastor mentioned that Jesus would soon say ‘Come,’ and I think He’s saying that to you now. 

It’s okay, Mom. Take that step of faith and go to Him.' 

I continued praying until I felt a joy and victory in my spirit. I looked at Mom’s face and saw a tear roll from her left eye. 

My friend said, 'Look, there is a tear here too,' pointing to the other side of her face. Then she was gone.

I’m certain God welcomes his saints one at a time into His presence. The Scriptures tells us that their death is precious to Him.

Alzheimer’s disease ravages the body and confuses the mind. Through caring for my mom, I knew the disease could not destroy her spirit. 

Her physical shell still lay on her bed, but her spirit was with her Lord.

Do you need reassurance that your loved one’s spirit is alive? Pray with them, sing hymns. 

Watch for any sign that God has reached beyond their mind to their spirit. Do this until he calls them home."

"Then shall the dust return to the earth as it was: and the spirit shall return unto God who gave it." Ecclesiastes 12:7

When Jesus Says, “Come” – Phyllis Freeman


Phyllis Qualls Freeman has over two-hundred-fifty published devotionals, human interest, and other articles. 

She is working on her first book. Phyllis loves reaching out to touch those who have long-term, life-altering situations to share God’s love. 

Married to her college sweetheart for fifty years, they have three children and five grandchildren. Pqfreeman40@yahoo.com
Read Phyllis’s devotions.

Posted on by  Cindy Sproles of www.Christiandevotions.us

Used by permission  www.christiandevotions.us


Today’s 19th truth: If you are “born again”, you are heir to the blessings of Abraham. (Gal. 3:13,14)

Tomorrow's post:  ALL DAY WITH GOD, EVEN AT WORK

No comments:

Post a Comment