Thursday, July 19, 2012

The Bachelor or Bible Study


Susan Stilwell - “Did you catch The Bachelor last night?” Jeanie bounced into Bible study chatting about the lucky ladies who received roses at the end of the previous episode. 

The discussion continued as everyone took their seats and prepared for our time together.

As I waited for a break in the conversation, I listened to their comments and watched the animated dialogue. I breathed a silent prayer and asked the Lord for patience. My frustration swelled. Finally, the conversation ended, we opened our Bibles, and I led the ladies in prayer.

'What are some of the things that stood out to you in our study this week?' I asked.

'Oh, I didn’t have time to do my homework,' Jeanie confessed. 'There was too much happening at my house.'

This familiar excuse echoed with several of the young women in our small group. True, some of them had jobs and young children. I’d intentionally chosen a study that wasn’t homework-intensive, hoping the lighter load would help them stay on task.

I reflected on my days as a young working mom…fatigue, the stress, and the perpetual piles of laundry. I wanted to be in the Word, but life was demanding. I needed study materials that didn’t overwhelm me, and I also needed an accountability group.

As a mentor to this group of young moms, I worked hard to provide an opportunity like that. But no matter how hard I tried, Bible study didn’t seem to be a priority for them.

Discouraged, I wondered why I wasted my time. Then the scripture in Hebrews rang in my ears, "Don’t give up meeting together…encourage."

'Lord, give me an extra measure of grace for these young women,' I said as I confessed my heart. I wasn’t responsible for their private study, but I was committed to provide a nurturing environment for them to learn and grow in their faith.

Being part of a small discipleship group has ups and downs and it’s discouraging when everyone doesn’t share the same level of commitment. It’s important to remember that we’re responsible for our actions, not theirs. God calls us to encourage others and show the love of Christ. We do our part and leave the rest to Him."

The Bachelor or Bible Study – Susan Stilwell

Susan Stilwell is a wife, mom, speaker, and writer who loves discovering God at work in the ordinary, day-to-day stuff of life. She lives in Virginia with her husband Steve, and can be found on Facebook and on the web at www.susanstilwell.com.
Read Susan’s devotions.

Receive a daily devotion on your Kindle!


"Let us not give up meeting together, as some are in the habit of doing, but let us encourage one another…" (Hebrews 10:25)


Bachelor flowers


Today’s 2nd truth: If you are “born again”, you are redeemed from the hand of the enemy. (Rom. 8:16)

Today's thought:  Present your hopes and dreams to God, and He will guide you.
Tomorrow’s post: There's a Hole!

Tomorrow night's post:  Spirit or Flesh?



No comments:

Post a Comment