Friday, July 20, 2012

Spirit or Flesh?


Mary Carothers - “I overheard a Christian brother explode in anger at a friend of mine. I was stunned! How could he do such a thing? Anger began to boil up in me as I thought of the gentle spirit of my friend.

‘Well, I’ll just set him straight,’ I thought.’ He needs to be told how unchristian his behavior is! In fact, this is a good time to tell him a few more things I don’t like about him. He’ll think twice before he unloads on her again.’

Oh, no you don’t, the Holy Spirit whispered. ‘But, why not, Lord? You know he’s wrong to do that. Let me set him straight.’ And I stewed in righteous indignation.

Would you speak to him in the spirit of My love? ‘Well, no, I guess not.’ Do you understand how he feels? ‘I understand I’d like to punch him in the nose. I’m sorry, God. I’m just so angry with him. Don’t You see how hurt she is?

You can’t see to get the speck out his eye, My child, until you have taken care of the log in your own eye. ‘But he has such a bad attitude, Lord. You know that’s more than just a speck!’

Mary, you are not responsible to ‘set any one straight.’ You are responsible to me for your attitudes, and your reactions. If you speak to him now, it would be with your flesh, not by My spirit. Do you really want that?

‘But… well, no Lord, not really. I guess I’d be sorry later.’ Mary, My child, if you will take care of the correction I give you, you will not have time to try to straighten anyone else out.

I guess the message I’m trying to share today is if we cannot speak in loving wisdom, it’s best to say nothing.

Written by Mary Carothers Taken from the Foundation of Praise paper September, 2011
The following is what I, Jean, wrote in my journal after making this post originally on 10/31/11, of what I believe God said to me…

God's message...


   “That is right, Jean. Dealing with what I show needs changing, should keep all of you busy. My people who are trying to figure out how to deal with someone else’s fault, is not for them to be concerned with. That is My responsibility! I know just how to cause them to see and deal with each one. I’m merciful and tender, remember. I don’t have an ounce of meanness in Me! This is why Jesus was My example. I showed how I deal with people and situations. He demonstrated My Love and kindness. He is your example to follow!”

Today’s 3rd truth: If you are “born again”, you are forgiven. (Col. 1:13, 14)

Today's thought:  Depend upon God to defend you, and to deliver you from harm and evil.
   
Tomorrow’s post: The Treasure of Friendship
Tomorrow night's post: Friendships

No comments:

Post a Comment