Sunday, August 5, 2012

It's Not About Me!





Barbara Duram writes, "It’s not about me. I can’t focus on myself. I must focus on God.

 I must let him use me, not me use Him for my purposes. It’s about learning to let God lead me."


“The preacher did a good job with his sermon on Sunday but that kid who played those big old bongo drums ruined everything. 


Those drums are so loud. I just can’t stand them!'


But it’s not about me.


It looks like they really are going to finish the new life building addition to the church. I guess they’ll just hand it over to those teenagers. It will be ruined before you know it.'


But it’s not about me.


'Oh, that preacher can preach pretty good but now he wants us to meet in a small group. Doesn’t he realize that’s going to mean another meeting on another night that I have to go to?'


But it’s not about me.


In 2004, I went through the Purpose Driven Life study by Rick Warren. Recently, I got my journal out and looked through. On day one I wrote: It’s not about me. I can’t focus on myself. I must focus on God. I must let him use me, not me use Him for my purposes. It’s about learning to let God lead me.


Rick Warren says: 'The purpose of your life is far greater than your own personal fulfillment, your peace of mind, or even your happiness. It’s far greater than your family, your career, or even your wildest dreams and ambitions.' Mr. Warren is right. It’s not about me, it’s about Jesus.


Changes in the church are hard, especially for those of us who are seasoned members. 


We've seen the rise and fall of many things within our congregations and age has gifted us with wisdom. We've seen growth and a failure to grow, prosperity and a lack of it. 


But Jesus left us with simple commands.


Love God and love others. Sometimes that means changing to meet the needs of those who do not know Christ.


Jesus adapted to the situations He went into. 


His standards of right and wrong never wavered but He never feared eating with the sinner. Though He did push His disciples into uncomfortable changes, they followed willingly. 


They soon learned what it was all about and when the connection was made, they blossomed as spreaders of the Word.


Remember, it’s not about you or me…it’s about spreading the word. Become a planter.


"Don’t copy the behavior and customs of this world, but let God transform you into a new person by changing the way you think. Then you will learn to know God’s will for you, which is good and pleasing and perfect."  Romans 12:2 New Living Translation


Barbara Duram is a retired Human Resources Assistant and grandmother. 

She has served in various women’s fellowship positions at church, including circle chairman and retreat chairman.


Read Barbara’s devotions.

Receive a daily devotion on your Kindle!



Spreader of the Word – Barbara Duram

Our thought for today:  Will you focus your attention on what is wrong in the world, or how you can live at your best where you are?
Tomorrow’s post:   Recall Notice

   

No comments:

Post a Comment