Saturday, September 29, 2012

Feelings Can Fool Us






Cathy Baker tells us, "In 
celebration of the first day of 
Fall, I'm sharing a re-post from 
2010, as it still rings true today."

"It doesn’t feel like the season for:

Roasted marshmallows
Apple cider
Kaleidoscope leaves
Cool breezes
Pecans
An abundance of candy in fun-size packs
Charlie Brown and the Great Pumpkin
Colorful mums
Pumpkins
Mountain trips
Fresh apples (especially Honey Crisp!)
Long sleeves and weathered jeans
Warm fuzzy sweaters

But it is that season, according to the trusted calendar, even though we are experiencing temperatures in the low 90’s.

It does not feel like fall, but the calendar says it is. Which am I to believe?

The same question is sometimes asked, although rarely audible or even consciously, when we are faced with believing how we feel versus what the Word of God says.

While God created emotions to complete the whole person, it’s easy to get swept away by them—only to be swept up in the deception that can sometimes follow.

Just as the calendar has the final say as to when we are truly embarking on the fall season, so God’s Word is our final say as to what is true—regardless of how we feel.
  • I may not always feel His presence, but God says He will never leave nor forsake me Heb. 13:5
  • I may not always sense His working in my life or those around me, but God says that nothing can thwart His plans Job 42:2
  • I don’t always trust Him as I should, but God says that even when I am unfaithful, He is faithful. 2 Tim. 2:13
  • I can feel defeated, useless to the Kingdom, beaten up by all my weaknesses, but God says that in Him, there is in no condemnation, regardless of what the enemy says. Romans 8:1
Emotions can be a beautiful expression of our worship to the Lord. 

In fact, if we are rarely moved by the words we read or sing, or if we can watch a resplendent sun rising from the east without a pause of praise welling up from within, we may be in need of an emotion intervention. 

It's all about balance.

So, while it may not feel like my favorite season of the year, I rejoice in the fact that it is indeed fall, and that summer has been left in the dust of 2010 (and my grass along with it). 

I may have to break out my long-sleeved shirts and fuzzy sweaters in celebration of this truth!

Care to join me?"


Posted: 22 Sept. 2012 08:09 PM PDT
This afternoon's post:  Splinters by Marietta Taylor

Tomorrow’s post:  What's the Plan?  Mary Southerland 
Today’s treasure truth #30:  If you are “born again”, you are daily overcoming the Devil. John 4:4
Our thought for today:  Don't be willing for a partial victory. Be willing to humble yourself.



Samples of Jean's crafts & craft order blank


http://www.amazon.com/dp/1938499999/  Link to Granny’s Guide to Marriage in Verse  my book with new title and cover for women contemplating marriage.





No comments:

Post a Comment