Friday, September 21, 2012

Preconceived Ideas


Painful days and nights

Shonda Whitworth shares with us, "For over three years I suffered from monthly hormonal migraines, two days in a row, right on time. 

Agonizing, nauseating, pounding headaches. I sought medical help to no avail. Over the counter medications, prescription medications, herbal remedies—nothing worked. I prayed. Others prayed too.

A local church announced a healing service in the newspaper. I attended with a nauseating migraine and stood in line for a healing prayer, expecting the miraculous. 

But when it was my turn, the pastor quietly prayed with me. He didn’t wave his hands over my head, touch me, and cure me. Only a simple prayer. Like Naaman, I grew angry. I’d expected a miraculous healing.

Naaman wanted to be cured of leprosy. His wife’s servant suggested he see the prophet Elisha in Israel for healing. Naaman traveled to Israel with a letter from his king requesting the king of Israel heal Naaman’s leprosy. 

Israel’s king tore his clothes and stated, “Am I God? Can I kill and bring back to life? Why does this fellow send someone to me to be cured of leprosy?”

When Elisha heard of the king’s distress, he asked for Naaman to come to him. Upon his arrival, Elisha set a messenger and said, “Go wash yourself seven times in the Jordan, and your flesh will be restored and you will be cleansed.”

Naaman left angry. I imagine he felt like he was on a wild goose chase. 

He expected to call on the name of the Lord and be cured of leprosy. Naaman’s servant convinced him to follow the prophet’s instructions in spite of how he felt. 

When Naaman dipped seven times in the Jordan as instructed, he was healed.

Like Naaman’s servant, a godly friend came to me and convinced me to see the doctor again.

 I went, out of obedience, and was prescribed different medication. For the first month, things looked worse but after two months, the migraines subsided. 

Like Naaman chose to follow the instructions from the man of God, I had to choose to follow God’s instructions.

Trusting Him, I laid down my preconceived ideas of how healing should come to pass. 

Now I function normally without migraines.

Do you have preconceived ideas about how God should do things? It’s time to lay down those preconceived ideas and trust God to work in His ways."

"But Naaman went away angry and said, “I thought that he would surely come out to me and stand and call on the name of the LORD his God, wave his hand over the spot and cure me of my leprosy.” 2 Kings 5:11

Preconceived Ideas Shonda Whitworth





Shonda Savage Whitworth is a freelance writer and speaker residing in El Paso, Texas. 

She serves CLASSEMINARS, Inc as Webmaster and Associate Editor of the CLASS Communiqué.

 She teaches on the personalities every week in her home. Learn more about Shonda at ShondaSavage.com.

Read Shonda’s devotions.








Used by permission by  www.Christiandevotions.us

"The eyes of the LORD are on the righteous, and His ears are open to their cry....The righteous cry out, and the LORD hears, and delivers them out of all their troubles. The LORD is near to those who have a broken heart, and saves such as have a contrite spirit. Many are the afflictions of the righteous, but the LORD delivers him out of them all."  Ps. 34:15,17-19

Tomorrow morning's post:  The Secret of Success   Max Lucado
 Tomorrow evening's post: A Crisis of Faith in the Night Barbara Meader
Today’s treasure truth #22: If you are “born again”, you are an heir of eternal life. (1 John 5:11, 12)
Our thought for today: Drop what's hindering you and let the goodness of God consume you.
 Facebook photos of samples of my crafts  When you get to the photos, click on a craft, then click on the arrow on the right to view several more, which have notes on them. Then click on Crafts order blank link 
So You Plan to Marry a Man   A devotional for brides, and wives, too.



No comments:

Post a Comment