Saturday, October 27, 2012

Carry Me!



Janet Morris Grimes shares with us, "I was deathly afraid of escalators, though no one knew it at the time.

That changed, one particular Saturday morning at Harvey’s Department Store.

Harvey’s, known for its golden-saddled carousel horses hanging above the front entrance, was the largest store I’d ever stepped into as a four-year-old shopper.

Colorful displays of bedspreads, dishes, and dresses enticed us from every corner. Clasping my mother’s hand, I stepped into what was sure to be an exciting adventure.

But then came the escalator; a moving black mountain that stretched all the way up to Heaven. Flat steps rolled out in front of us, and the black handrail squealed underneath my hand, as I tried to slow it down.

Mom tiptoed onto their steps with ease, but my feet locked into place. She turned toward me but her hand slipped out of mine.

“Mooooooommmmmmyyyyyyyy!”

Her eyes widened as she mouthed words I could not hear. Her face reddened as each step opened in front of me, separating us further.

“Mooooommmmmmmmyyyyyyyy!” My cries grew louder.

A crowd gathered behind me, my legs spread, blocking the entrance. I screamed even louder. Mommy paced back and forth. The solution, the down escalator, would take her completely out of my sight; a terrifying idea for both of us.

Suddenly, a man scooped me up from behind, silencing my cries with an even bigger jolt of fear.

“It’s ok,” he spoke; his voice, so deep, it vibrated inside my body.

Conquering the slippery steps, two-at-a-time, he placed me into my mother’s arms. Her voice cracked as she thanked him. I buried my head into her neck, wiping my tears on her clothes. By the time I looked up, he was gone. My unseen hero remained unseen.

After that day, all I knew was it felt great to be carried, especially in the scariest of situations.

This is just what I need from God. Every day. Every slippery step of the way.

To be carried is effortless. The carrier does all the work. To be carried is to rest, trust, and wait, and the sooner we surrender, the sooner He can deliver us to safety.

Let Him carry you."

For it is written: “He will command his angels concerning you to guard you carefully; they will lift you up in their hands, so that you will not strike your foot against a stone. Luke 4:10 – 11


Carry Me – Janet Morris Grimes

Posted on September 30, 2012 by Senior Editor, Cindy Sproles of www.christiandevotions.us
                                            


Janet Morris Grimes is the author of the book, The Parent’s Guide to Uncluttering Your Home, released in May of 2011. 

She currently writes on such topics as faith, family, writing, teen issues, and of course, the process of uncluttering.

Janet launched Abandoned Ministries late in 2010, which leads others through speaking and writing to seek God as Abba during times of abandonment. 


For additional information, visit her websites at http://www.abbandoned.com or http://janetmorrisgrimes.com.

Read Janet’s devotions.

Receive a daily devotion on your Kindle!

Used by permission www.christiandevotions.us

Sunday’s post: Go Ride a Bike Delton de Armas

Monday's post: The Forever People Mary Southerland

Tuesday's post: Dutch Meets Goliath on Bourbon St: Prayer Note #85 Dutch Sheets 


Today’s treasure truth #17: If you are “born again”, you are doing all things through Christ Who strengthens you. Phil. 4:13

Our thought today: Keep your relationship with God strong.




Samples of Jean's crafts
http://twitter.com/jeanoathout
http://facebook.com/jean.oathout

No comments:

Post a Comment