Sunday, October 28, 2012

Go Ride a Bike


Ride with Determination

Delton de Armas shares with us, "For me, there’s so much more to gain than to fear."

"I have a deep passion for cycling. Recently, I did something I’d never done before. I rode my bike to work. 

Commuting on a bicycle is peppered with hazards—automobiles, potholes, broken glass, gravel, unyielding pedestrians, uncompromising dogs, and the Florida sun.

For me, there’s so much more to gain than to fear. 

In addition to the health benefits and pure enjoyment of riding, I also experienced a route to work I’d never seen. 


courtesy of microsoft.com free image gallery

In an effort to avoid traffic, I plotted a route on roads far less traveled and, at 15 to 20 miles an hour, I noticed details I’d never have seen at a higher speed.

I saw ivy twining delicately on an old, unhinged gate. I smelled the fragrance of fresh cut grass on a breeze. I observed horses walking lazily by a fence and could actually hear their neighboring cows chewing cud.

I also noticed cigarette butts and empty bottles breaking up the beauty. I looked with great pity at a neglected yard and house; seemingly empty of care and love. 

I also saw vehicles driving intently, almost angrily, but not really going anywhere.

I wondered if I noticed all these details while on my bike, how much more would I have perceived if I’d been walking? 

I stopped my bike, got off, and leaned against a board fence. I quietly held my ground and snapped mental pictures in every direction. 

Even today, I think I could take you back to the very spot where I stopped. I can still see it that clearly.

I wish I could do that with my life. 

I wish I could slow to a walk and, instead of speeding through life, slow down.

 I’d like to take in every detail of my life. If asked, I could take you back and live it again. I’d be encouraged by some events, reliving the joy and delight. 

I might be cautioned by others, remembering to take care in times of trouble.

God is present everywhere. He’s in the grandest scenes and the smallest details. 

He lives the most wondrous epochs in the darkest of days. Sometimes, we fail to notice Him, perhaps because of our speed. 

Maybe, if we try, if we’re deliberate, we can slow down. We can stop, and know that He is God.

It’s really not that hard. In fact, it’s just like riding a bike."

"Be still, and know that I am God; I will be exalted among the nations, I will be exalted in the earth." Psalm 46:10 NIV

Go Ride a Bike – Delton de Armas
avatar
Photo courtesy microsoft.com free image gallery



Delton de Armas was born in Orlando, Florida.

 He moved with his family to Carrollton, Texas in 2010 to attend Dallas Theological Seminary where he is pursuing a Master of Arts in Media and Communication (M.A./MC). 

He married his high school sweetheart Pam, and has three children: Amber, Alden, and Abram. 

Delton loves cycling, snowboarding, reading, and writing.


Read Delton’s devotions.
Receive a daily devotion on your Kindle!





Used by permission- www.christiandevotions.us

Tomorrow's post:  The Forever People  Mary Southerland

Tuesday’s post: Dutch Meets Goliath on Bourbon Street: Prayer Note #85  Dutch Sheets

Today’s treasure truth #18: If you are “born again”, you are heir of God and a joint heir w/ Jesus. Rom. 8:17 


Our thought for today: Don't miss something great by failing to pursue God's leading.

"Father, allow me today to rest in You, to walk with
Your Son, and to lean on Your Spirit.
Thank You for Your never-failing presence,
Helping me in all the challenges of life. Amen
The Spirit within us gaurantees that we're never alone."
Our Daily Bread 
9/13/12

Samples of Jean's crafts
Crafts order blank link  


So You Plan to Marry a Man gives the description of my book.
http://twitter.com/jeanoathout
http://facebook.com/jean.oathout   presently my home page

No comments:

Post a Comment