Friday, January 4, 2013

I Feel Sorry for You

                                   
Google image

Merlin Crothers shares a conversation he had with someone:

“Merlin, I feel sorry for you. You believe all that stuff about God, the Bible, Heaven and Hell.

You aren't able to enjoy life like we do because you believe everything fun is wrong.’

Oh, what fun am I missing?

‘You can’t get drunk, forget your problems and live a little. You waste your time going to church and listening to boring sermons. What a dull life you live.’

Well now my friend, If you are right and I am wrong, when I die I will fade away into nothing If I am right and you are wrong you will go to a terrible place filled with suffering people I will go to a place of joy forever.

Yes, I never get drunk but I tried that. Waking up the next morning was not fun! In fact I never drink alcohol because I know it is addictive and dangerous.

Many people drink without a problem, but they face a dangerous, unsure future. Eventually, if problems such as declining health or tragedies happen, alcohol demands its right to want more and more.

Listening to boring sermons? Not me, I find a church where I enjoy the sermons and learn things that help me.

The singing fills me with joy. I meet more so called ‘dull people’ and they become great friends.

When I need help these ‘boring friends’ immediately want to help me. Every day I feel like singing.

When I think about dying, that is the best of all. You expect nothing. I expect everything!

Oh, dear friend, to me life is great! Helping other people enjoy what I enjoy gives me satisfaction and makes me feel as if I am doing something worthwhile. You think I could enjoy life more?

‘Well, you must have problems.’

Yes, I do, but I’ve learned a great secret. God will make every problem work for my good.

‘How to you know that?’

Because God has promised that He will do that. I believe it and believing makes me happy. I’ve tried it and time after time it has proven to be true.

Not everything seems good right away, but knowing that it will work for my good gives me great inner confidence in the One who created me.

Over and over He has proved to me that He is keeping His word.

Would you like to know more? I have written many books about the joy I, and many others, enjoy."
   www.foundationofpraise.org
The above message was taken from the November, 2012 issue of Foundation of Praise
(Father, please cause us to realize that we have a great prize in knowing Christ and His salvation. May we be able to hold conversations that lead folks to Him and the Atonement He has provided for them.)

Eph. 2:1-6 " He made alive, who were dead in trespasses and sins, in which you once walked according to the course of this world, according to the prince of the power of the air, the spirit who now works in the sons of disobedience, among whom also we all once conducted ourselves in the lusts of our flesh, fulfilling he desires of the flesh, fulfilling the desires of the flesh and of the mind, and were by nature children of wrath, just as the others.
 But God who is rich in mercy because of His great love with which He loved us, even when we were dead in trespasses, made us alive together with Christ (by grace you have been saved), and raised us up together, and made us sit together in the heavenly places in Christ Jesus.”

Our quote for today:  “Each of us was created with a God sized hole inside which is why so many people who don't know the Lord fill their lives with stuff yet still feel empty. It's why great accomplishment and a large bank account aren't all that satisfying.” Pocket Devotions 1/1/13

Our thought for today: There is a need to see life from God's perspective, and to respond accordingly.

Tomorrow’s post: Not Abandoned  Marion Williams

Monday's post:  Spiritually Deaf  Faith Zao

A popular post:  The Treasure of Friendship

                      A 31-day devotional for women
                        contemplating marriage, and
                           desire some godly advice.


No comments:

Post a Comment