Sunday, July 7, 2013

A Cornish Pentecost


William Haslam shares with us his experience of an outstanding revival.

"I was invited to a neighbouring parish to preach.

Here on the appointed Sunday afternoon I found not less than 3,000 people assembled on the common, evidently expecting great things.

I gave out the hymn, 'Oh, for a thousand tongues to sing my great Redeemer's praise.'

This was sung heartily.

A mighty power of the Spirit of the Lord came on the people. 

Several hundred of them fell upon their knees simultaneously and many began to cry aloud for mercy.

The strange part was that the power of the Lord appeared to pass diagonally through the crowd.

It was quite impossible to go on preaching, so I gave out a hymn, and then went in among those who were under great conviction of sin.

After about an hour someone suggested that we should go to the school-room as it was getting dark.

The clergyman of the parish was in the lane close by watching the proceedings. I asked him if we could have the use of the school-room.

'Oh, yes,' he said, 'Yes, certainly - certainly - anything.' He seemed very frightened.

The men and women in distress of soul were led to the room, crying and praying as they went.

When I reached the place I found it impossible to get in, for it was alrady full, besides a throng standing at the door.

I was taken to a window at last, and getting in through that, I stood on the schoolmaster's table.


I could do no more than speak to those who were near me round the table. 

As they found peace one by one, and were able to praise God, we asked them to go out and let others come in. in this way the meeting went on till ten o'clock, when I left; and it continued to go on all night and all the next day without cessation.

It will scarcely be credited, but that same meeting was prolonged by successive persons without any intermission, day and night, till the evening of Sunday, the eighth day after it began."

Today’s post was taken from
MORE GLORIOUS ACTS of the 
HOLY SPIRIT, a booklet published by REVIVAL MOVEMENT ASSOCIATION www.revivalmovement.org 

Let’s pray: Father, we long to see this happen in our church! Help us to prepare Your way by praying for it to take place. Encourage Your people to prepare their own hearts, so You can have Your way in them, which will user in the needed "revival" (of the saints), which will in turn cause others to sense Your Presence, and will cause them to repent to the acknowledging of their need to be
forgiven and cleansed through Jesus. In His name we pray, Amen.


Prayer for your pastor: Holiness. "Jesus, keep my pastor holy in every way. Protect ________from seducing spirits, especially when he/she is tired and hard-pressed. Provide friends to help protect my pastor and walk with him/her in personal holiness 
1 Peter 1:16.  [By Terry Teykl, www.praymag.com]

Today’s Bible verse: Ps. 78:38a (NKJV) "But He, being full of compassion, forgave their iniquity, and did not destroy them."

Today’s quote: The Pocket Testament League – “"Don't -- give -- up -- on -- me!" Those are some of the most encouraging words we will ever hear. Is there someone in your life who seems to be a waste of time and effort? Someone who you pray for regularly yet is far from a turn toward Christ? My advice: Don't give up. The Word of God is living and active -- it just takes a little longer to
penetrate for some rather than others.


Our thought today: Jesus’ disciples were intrigued with what happened when He prayed. They wanted to know how to pray, too!

Tomorrow’s post:
 Putting God First Joyce McCullaugh


Christ's glory abides in us!
    

My book is out with a new title and cover! I hope you'll check it out on Amazon.com [type in title of book), or go to my blog page   Jean's Profile


  

jowildflowers@gmail.com To leave a comment, or to have your email address added for daily posts.






No comments:

Post a Comment