Saturday, July 6, 2013

Help! My Child has a Sense of Entitlement

 
Jill Savage gives us a link for children who are argumentative. 

She writes of a child that is otherwise pleasant and gets along well in school with his grades, and with peers.

Jill went on Dr. Todd's link Dr. Todd Cartmell and found the following for help with this problem".

"I have seen many kids where this is the presenting issue. At the risk of sounding simplistic, it sounds like ____ has what I would call a negative thinking style. This can be learned or simply a tendency from early on. Just as some people may be more naturally optimistic, others can be more naturally negative or inflexible.

The intervention that I have found most helpful with these kids (and they are often quite nice kids), is to help them develop a more positive/flexible thinking style.

This can take a bit of time and repetition, as we are trying to trade a negative thinking habit for a positive one.

Often we spend time learning a set list of flexible thoughts, learning how to find the 'mistakes' in mad/negative thoughts, learning to create multiple flexible thoughts for any situation, and recognizing the truth in the flexible thoughts.

This can be done through exercises and games."



 Dr. Todd Cartmell is a popular Hearts at Home workshop speaker, has created a Flexible Thinking game that is available on his website. 

I love learning about great resources, so I wanted to pass that along to you, too!"

[I've taken excerpts from Jill's message today] Q&A Wednesday: Help! My child has a sense of entitlement

Let’s pray:
  Father, let Your Word teach me how to deal with my children. Open my eyes to what I need to think, say, and do where they are concerned. Help my attitude to be good, as I learn new ways of doing things with them. May I remember that Your love is what I need most, along with Your wisdom and understanding. I see 
I need Your help! In Jesus' name, Amen.

Today’s Bible verse: Ps. 119:66 "Teach me good judgment and knowledge: for I have believed thy commandments."

Today’s quote: Crystal McDowell – “Grace is the power of God to overcome your deficiencies to reveal His good in a flawed vessel. When your heart is overwhelmed…receive His grace, you will never walk away empty.

Our thought today: At times, we may blame others for their lack of appreciation and rewards for what we do. God will reward us! 


[Google images added]
 
Tomorrow’s post: A Cornish Pentecost William Haslam

A popular post:
What Does God Say?
Seek God's answer for your problems. 



My book is out with a new title and cover! I hope you'll check it out on Amazon.com "Granny's Guide to Marriage in Verse", or on my blog page Jean's Profile






No comments:

Post a Comment