Tuesday, August 20, 2013

#19 Intercession as a Christian Role



C. Peter Wagner 
tells us, "Intercession, as I have mentioned, [in his book, PRAYER SHIELD], is only one kind of prayer.

But it is so important that Jesus Himself is described as an intercessor. 
Jesus Christ, at the right hand of God, "also makes intercession for us" (Rom. 8:34).

Likewise, the Holy Spirit "makes intercession for the saints according to the will of God" (Rom. 8:27).


The Father, of course, is not mentioned as an intercessor because He is the One to whom the intercession is made.

On the human level, Paul characterizes himself as an intercessor when he says to the Romans, "Without ceasing I make mention of you always in my prayers" (Rom. 1:9).


Before developing the idea of intercession as a spiritual gift, I want to make it clear that intercession is a role expected of every faithful Christian.

In fact, I do not know of any Christian brother or sister who does not, on a fairly regular basis, pray for others.

Paul says to Timothy: "Therefore I exhort first of all that supplications, prayers, intercessions, and giving of thanks be made for all men"  (1 Tim. 2:1).

James says, "Confess your trespasses to one another, and pray for one another, that you may be healed" (James. 5:16).

Not only should every one of us be interceding for others, but most of us undoubtedly should be doing it much more than we are.

If I am honest, I will have to admit that although I do intercede for others, I do not intercede enough.
I need to intercede more for my spouse, my children, my extended family, my colleagues in ministry, my pastor and my friends, both saved and unsaved.

At a bare minimum, a decent Christian life should be characterized by at least one designated time each day for prayer, including intercession.

How long this daily time should be I will discuss later on. Here my point is simply that the rule is not just for some Christians but for all of them.

Intercession is a universal christian role."

Today’s post -

#19  Intercession as a Christian Role, in the series taken from C. Peter Wagner’s book, PRAYER SHIELD, How to intercede for pastors, Christian leaders and others on the spiritual frontlines. (pp. 47, 48) By Regal Books

The next post-from Wagner’s book, is on 8/22 #20 Intercession as a Spiritual Gift

Let’s pray: 

   Father, it is true, we are lacking in our perseverance in praying for others. We ask that You impress us of the need to be more diligent to support those in need, especially our leaders, family members, and friends. Awaken us to what is on Your heart, and help us pray effectively and fervently. We pray this in the Lovely Name of Jesus, amen.


Today’s Bible verse:

(Prov. 4:7) "Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all thy getting get understanding."


Today’s quote

Joseph Prince - "Grace is greater than sin."


Some thoughts today

The life and testimony of a "Christian" can draw or repel 
unbelievers!

- Your identity doesn't depend on your job. It depends on your relationship with Christ.

-God has chosen you!

Tomorrow’s post

Rowing in the Right Order  Jill Savage




A popular post:   

#8 Prayer Will Save Others  [Dr. R. A. Torrey] "God here tells us that prayer will not only bring blessing to the one who prays but that it will bring the greatest of all blessings, even the blessing of eternal life, to others, to those for whom we pray."


There is comfort in friendships.
   

Granny’s Guide to Marriage inVerse  




  From My Personal Testimony
page 90, 

#5  I Gleaned from Others
Day by Day

"I gleaned from others day by day
And found that I desired
To live for God in every way
As my faith was inspired."







No comments:

Post a Comment