Saturday, January 10, 2015

A Lifesaving Drop In


Sue Carloni - "Three unexpected visitors showed up at my door. Just in time...


It was one of those cold December evenings when there’s nothing better to do than cuddling on the couch, watching one of those heartwarming, made-for-TV holiday movies. 

That’s exactly the night my husband Kurt and I had planned. We live way out in the country with only our Springer spaniel for company, so it was quiet. Just the TV and the howl of the winter wind outside.

A ring at our door startled us. I glanced at the clock—8 p.m. Who’d be visiting after dinnertime on a cold night like this? I opened the door a crack. John, Dana and their 10-year-old Carissa—our friends from church—were standing on my doorstep. Grinning wide.

“Merry Christmas!” they said. I welcomed them inside, bewildered.  It was three weeks till Christmas. They weren’t out caroling. What were they doing here?

“We were passing by on our 
way home and thought we’d drop in,” John explained, “Hope we aren’t intruding.”


Well, a little bit, I thought. So much for our quiet, cozy night. Ever the hostess, I put on a smile and helped them with their coats, offering to make more of the popcorn we’d been enjoying by ourselves moments before. 


Our Springer spaniel could barely contain himself – jumping and wagging his tail like crazy.

   “Mom, can I play with the dog outside?” Carissa asked.

   “It’s freezing out there!” Dana said.

But Carissa wouldn’t give up. She begged and pleaded. Dana sighed and helped her bundle up. Carissa dashed out the door to play.

Before I could ask John and Dana if they wanted tea or cocoa, the door swung open again. Carissa ran back inside.

    “Sue! There’s an old lady calling your name. I think 
      she’s hurt!”

I rushed outside, not bothering to put a coat on. The cold stung my face, the darkness engulfed me. But I could hear a faint voice. I followed the sound and found Betty, my neighbor’s elderly mother, lying on the frozen ground.

    “Call 9-1-1!” I yelled to the others.

I rode with Betty to the hospital. She’d been walking her dog when his chain caught around her ankle. She tripped and couldn’t get back up. The dog ran off. “I would've frozen to death,” Betty said. “I didn’t think anyone could hear me.”

No one would have…if not for our friends, dropping in on our quiet night at home."


A Lifesaving Drop In 


By Sue Carloni, Oconomowoc, Wisconsin


(Emphasis added)

Please pray with me:

   Father, we know that there have been
times when You have provided answers
for serious problems.

   Open our eyes to the ones that will be coming, and help us to give You the proper thanks.

   It's my own desire to give You praise for all the times I've seen Your hand in what's happened to me and those around me.

   May my life be a praise to You, and may others take note of my thankfulness in every instance.

   I ask this in the name of Jesus. Amen.

Today’s Bible verse: 2 Chron. 36:15a "And the LORD God of their fathers sent to them by his messengers..."

Today’s quote: Dr. Charles F. Stanley - "Our time spent with the Lord has a dramatic impact on our daily life. When we set aside periods to meditate upon His Word and listen to what He's telling us, we'll start to notice both subtle and dramatic changes taking place."

Some thoughts today: The most effective way to tell someone's heart is to listen to them.

- We need to settle down and dig deeper. Look within and see what needs God's attention. Matt. 7:17-20 ("we'll be known by our fruits")


- There's no godly spirit to criticize. RUN from someone who does!

18th- Sunday evening's post: Dancing Over Me
Rhett Wilson

20th- Tuesday's post: #33 Overcoming the Strongman
C. Peter Wagner

22nd- Thursday's post: #34 Satan's Strategy
C. Peter Wagner

24th- Saturday's post: I Am Resolved
James H. Cagle


A popular post:  Christ Heals the Hurting    by James Cagle 

"The blade was not of Damascus steel,
Nor was the stone made of granite;
But still the blade wounded very deep,
As the stone, by the hand that threw it..."




Kindle $3.49


 A great gift for someone, especially if 
they're having trouble dealing with issues!

Bridal Shower Devotional
Bridal Wisdom for Women

Granny's Guide to Marriage in Verse

My book in paperback $7.95

Jean's blog  (link to save for another time of checking in)



AuthorsDen.com
Where authors and readers come together!

No comments:

Post a Comment