Saturday, March 17, 2012

WHEN LIFE’S GOT YOU DOWN

            “An old woman's example inspires a younger man to change his thinking.”

By Scott Walker

          
“We are hard-pressed on every side, yet not crushed; we are perplexed, but not in despair.” (2 Cor. 4:8)


          
”Mrs. Scarpa sat in the same spot in the same pew for years. Up until a few years ago, her husband had come with her. Now she came alone, her eyes often swimming in sadness.


This Sunday, as she came up to greet me, I winked at her, grinned and asked, ‘Where’d you get that pretty red hat?’

She chuckled, patting it fondly. ‘My husband bought it for me. Told me that in those terrible days of World War II, this red hat was to keep my spirits up. A couple of months ago I got it down and dusted it off, and I’ve decided to wear it again. Every time the world gets me down, I’m putting on this red hat!’

Perhaps you, too, need a ‘red hat.’ Find yours, dust it off and get on with life. When you do, you, too, will discover that ‘we do not lose heart’ (2 Corinthians 4:16). 

PRAY   Lord, I know that in the grand scheme of things, and compared to a lot of other folks, life’s not so bad for me. I’ve just been a little down. This story was just the attitude-adjuster I needed. Thank You, Lord. I’m ready to get on with life.

DO    You may have another ‘red hat’ of your own from the past, something that made you smile. Pull it out and dust it off.” 

Excerpted from Time Out for the Spirit ©2010 by Guideposts. All rights reserved.

         “For You have been a strength to the poor, a strength to the needy in his distress, a refuge from the storm, a shade from the heat; for the blast of the terrible ones is as a storm against the wall.”  (Is. 24:4 NKJV) 

Southern Hamburger Soup "warms the soul" while making good use of ground beef.

1 pound ground beef chuck (I used only 1/2 pound of Angus, ground)
1 medium onion, peeled and chopped
1 small green bell pepper, stemmed, seeded and chopped
1 carrots, scraped and chopped (I only used 1)
1 cup beef broth
1 cup tomato juice (or, preferably, V8 juice)
1 medium potato, scrubbed and diced
1 tablespoons fresh parsley leaves (I used 1 tbs. dried parsley)
4 cups milk, divided
1/3 cup all-purpose flour
Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste ( added no salt)

In a large saucepan or pot, stir beef over moderate heat until nicely browned,
(I put about 1 tbs of olive oil in pan) about 10 minutes, and drain off all but about
              1 tablespoon fat. Add onion, bell pepper and carrots and stir  till the
              vegetables soften, about 7 minutes. Add broth and tomato juice,                   bring to a simmer, 
              Add potato and parsley, cover and simmer 15 minutes.

(I sprinkled some Basil in).
In a small bowl, whisk together 1 cup milk and flour till well-blended. Add to the soup, increase the heat slightly and cook till soup is 
thickened and bubbly.
Add the remaining 3 cups milk, salt and pepper and simmer 10 minutes longer.

I hope you'll enjoy using this recipe. I don't know who shared it.

Perhaps you'd like to hear Chris Tomlin and Matt Redman's version of When I Survey the Wondrous Cross, from You Tube:


(What a great experience watching this video! I hope you’ll take the time to watch it!  Jean)

jowildflowers@gmail.com  jean-oathout.blogspot.com   Tomorrow’s post:


No comments:

Post a Comment