Sunday, April 29, 2012

WHAT PRAYER CAN DO: AIR LIFT

 

SUSAN ORNECK tells us, "Sandigo to Tampa--a long flight. 

I was on my way home from a real-estate agent workshop. 

If only I could relax,I thought as I shifted in my seat. 

Even a lucky upgrade to first class wasn't enough to calm me down.

My nephew had been diagnosed with melanoma. Jordan was in his early twenties, just starting a career as a songwriter. 

He faced His disease with incredible courage, believing in God's plan for his life, whatever that were. Lord, I am so worried about him, I thought.

I noticed the man sitting next to me--long hair, ratty T-shirt, headphones and tattoos. 


He looked like a rocker dude from the seventies. 'I'm traveling with my band,' he confirmed as the flight attendant served us a beverage.

'Really? My nephew wants to be a songwriter.'

He pulled off his headphones and asked me more about Jordan. 


I talked about his cancer, how much I feared losing him. 

Usually I was good at keeping my feelings in check. But here, with a complete stranger, I suddenly felt free to share how anxious I was. 

'I see him fighting so hard,' I said, starting to cry.

'Chemotherapy is so difficult. I don't know where he finds the strength to bear it.

'I had cancer myself a few years ago,' my seatmate said after a moment. 


'I know how hard it can be.' A tear streaked down his cheek. He grabbed my hand and held it tight.' 

You can pray for your nephew,' he said. 'I'll pray with you.'

A woman spoke up from across the aisle. 'I'd like to pray for him too.'

'Me too,' said the man behind me. I hadn't known everyone was listening!

The next thing I knew our entire cabin was on its feet and holding hands--including the two flight attendants. 


I didn't know anything about leading a prayer circle so I just spoke from the heart about Jordan. 

For the first time since his diagnosis I didn't feel so alone in my fear.

God was with me 30,000 feet above the earth, and so were these people who were praying--and would continue to pray--for my nephew.

Jordan's cancer went into remission. He is still writing songs. And I am still lifted by what I learned about the power of prayer."

SUSAN ORNECK of Palm Harbor, Florida

The article is found in MAY 2012 issue of GUIDEPOSTS page 65. www.guidepost.org


No comments:

Post a Comment